Why was Aceyducey's thread removed??

To all,

It appears that Ian S, amongst others, has misunderstood my post.

I was not soliciting any form of business - unlike a number of 'non-controversial' posters (and a few controversial ones) who do so regularly.

My post was purely for information purposes and stated that. If it wasn't clear enough for some people, let me make it clearer here.

Considering that I've made no secret of my investing interests I find it very poor on the behalf of the moderators to remove a post that simply let people know how one of those interests was going.

It was within the qualifiers for the Coffee Lounge (I read Asy's sticky post before posting) and did not fit within Caveat Emptor because it is was not selling anything.

I felt that sharing my experiences in building businesses could be of value to others in their own investment 'careers' - just as both others and myself have shared property and share trading experiences.

Clearly a few others posting in this forum believe this is not the case.

And an even smaller number, for reasons they will not explain, find my presence and willingness to question golden calves or be openly active in other forms of investment offensive.

I used to find Somersoft an excellent place to both learn and share information, where it was possible for people to debate different views and even (god forbid) disagree.

What Somersoft will become in the future is purely up to those who choose to post in it - and what they are allowed to post.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

BTW: FYI: No mods have contacted me about my post.

PS: And if wielding the 'property forum' brush (even in the coffee lounge) and despite the high tolerance for other posts about investment types other than property, frankly a lot of what I'm doing is termed landbanking.

Last edited:
Interesting...
So without referring to the original post, ( I never read it either) how is the share price going, and how is the activity on the ground proceeding ?

KEvin

To all,

It appears that Ian S, amongst others, has misunderstood my post.

I was not, and have never, solicited any form of business in this forum - unlike a number of 'non-controversial' posters (and a few controversial ones).

My post was purely for information purposes and stated that. If it wasn't clear enough for some people, let me make it clearer here.

Considering that I've made no secret of my investing interests I find it very poor on the behalf of the moderators to remove a post that simply let people know how one of those interests was going.

Acey

You mightn't have used the forum as such to sell your last IPO but you certainly made very good use of PM's and emails to forum members.

I'm sure all the mods are well aware of those PM's and emails and would maybe question your reason for posting about your latest IPO.

PS: I should add that my main concern here is that new members see you as a senior member of the forum and as such you need to be aware of your potential influence.

cheers

Ani,

I know that a lot of other forum participants send PMs and emails about investments as well.

I've received a number myself.

The moderators are welcome to question me. They didn't and haven't.

When and if they do I'm happy to discuss it with them.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Where to draw the line?

Forums and blogs...both invite a lot of opinion regarding where the line is drawn for moderators to tamper/delete/modify posts. I think, maybe it's better that someone withdrew the thread than have someone tamper and edit the contents of your post for you (lesser evil mayhaps :confused: ). I used to post on a SMH blog a few months ago, but got really annoyed when they kept changing and deleting some of my sentences before posting it up.

Ian Somers and his mods definitely have their rights to choose the direction they wish their forums to go...but I do agree with others that this is in the 'coffee lounge' and as such, is easy reading section and I think it's a bit strange if readers browse this section, prepared to invest on the materials posted here...

As Ani has written, I view you as a senior member (guess i am a rather *newish* somersoft member), however, in your defence, I think if any readers/users/forumites were to be easily convinced in any investment offer without due diligence and research, then maybe that's a deficiency on their part and not yours. I enjoy reading about various investment offerings and structures and would research everything thoroughly before participating...and I think users should do the same rather than relying on someone's presumed/assumed 'seniority'. If they're sitting ducks in the somesoft forum, then heaven knows how fat a sitting duck they are in more lethal/nefarious forums.

*my musing is over for the night, time to go to bed :) *

hi
sorry to say that having seen the site that the price hasn't( and I now a bit about listings can't) be given until a psd is available and glebe you are taking a risk ( and I like calculated risk) in posting parts of a post that has been deleted.( maybe technical but haven't read the fine print yet) but I think you maybe safe.
if not that face icon will be a fried egg I would post the a fried egg icon but have been told that I 'm not supposed to post my own icons so I don't use them.
you will find my smile animated gif if you search I think its still some where.
and just for the record should any one have a look at Aceyducey pm list and find a couplke from me I have never been sent any pm soliciting any form of investment I have asked him (yes him) on different occassions about his markets place.
with regard to ani
just because you are a senior (I may get into that group via age) doesn't make you a better investor nor for that matter any more knowledgable I know alot of bank managers that would be senior in age and have senior relationship manager on there card and know nothing about investing.
I would recommend that anything including caveat emptor on a board be for information only and never take it on face value and invest in it and would recommend that no matter who they are check your figure yourself and get someone qualified to check them also.

people come to these boards for information or assistance but the should not from my view be looking at investing from them yes they main be the first step but thats all they should be.
as for MichaelWhyte and "Over to InvestEd then for a while" I have seen the site never joined as I think that you need to see what you get for your money and haven't seen a reason to pay to talk to people with msn and skype for free and the number of smaller boards out there
not sure why these two boards seem to be so closely linked maybe I am missing something here but maybe thats another story.
and last but not least I am not sure currently what is allowed in coffee lounge.
from my understanding this is ok
heart donor,syndication under a different name,death of a person,Nostrodamus,soup( no not my type of soup the normal cuppa stuff I think) and can't find the post but there will be one on dogs( always a favourite) there in.
can we get an idea what out.
I have worked out from this post and reading the original this one but maybe a bit of a guide line so the less experienced investors like me ( not hit the senior age group yet) can work it out also if posting these guide line can you do it in a bit bigger font as with experience comes age and with age eye sight loss and I'm boardering all of the above.

I think if any readers/users/forumites were to be easily convinced in any investment offer without due diligence and research, then maybe that's a deficiency on their part and not yours. I enjoy reading about various investment offerings and structures and would research everything thoroughly before participating...and I think users should do the same rather than relying on someone's presumed/assumed 'seniority'. If they're sitting ducks in the somesoft forum, then heaven knows how fat a sitting duck they are in more lethal/nefarious forums.

This is obviously a area of disagreement between some senior members on the forum.

The sad thing is that I know ( and other members know ) from past experience that many members are swayed by peoples percieved reputation.

As an example , one other senior member ( SM1 ) launched an investment scheme in the past. When I asked another senior member ( SM2 ) ( and a supporter of the initial member ) what they felt about it , they commented to me that the scheme was was fairly complicated and it would take a while for them to work through the pro's and con's . ( SM2 is a smart cookie , and justifiably well respected here and elsewhere ).

What was the result ? SM1 was apparently innundated with applications the following day. there was minimal if any time if any for those people to adequetly do due dilligence on that scheme . They were relying on SM1's reputation as their guarantee.

Not in anyway casting shadows on Acey's IPO ( or SM1... :)) , but certainly there are other people with " reputations " here who have tried to promote investments which the vast majority of long term members have serious reservations about .....

Problem with letting one go through is what do you do when something really dubious gets pushed .

Do people stand on the sidelines while the sharks feed ?

See Change

hi
as for MichaelWhyte and "Over to InvestEd then for a while" I have seen the site never joined as I think that you need to see what you get for your money and haven't seen a reason to pay to talk to people with msn and skype for free and the number of smaller boards out there
not sure why these two boards seem to be so closely linked maybe I am missing something here but maybe thats another story.

InvestEd is free now. I have been a member for a while but have never posted. I do read the content a bit though. It is not as good as here and it has no where near the experience of the members. Any attempt to limit non property investment content on this forum and that is where I would go I suppose.

See ya's.

I didn't see the post so perhaps I'm speaking out of turn but... if I may quote from NT Oil's website:

The securities offered under this prospectus should be regarded as speculative. Oil and gas exploration, development and production have inherent risks, which may have a material impact on the company's future performance and the value of its securities.
My emphasis.

No doubt the Prospectus says the same and more...

I make no comment on whether this is or isn't a good investment but geez, if people won't read statements like the above and make appropriate and sensible asset allocations given the SPECULATIVE nature of the investment then I'm not sure how much you can help them!!!

Obviously Ian Somers has the final say on what gets posted here (and thanks again Ian and Jan for hosting this great site).

Acey and I have certainly had the odd disagreement about things in the past but in my experience Acey is a person of integrity and great energy. Acey has contributed a great deal to this forum so I would have thought you could cut him some slack.

My 2.2 cents worth.

Cheers
N.

I think any direct solicitation for investment should not be allowed, but defining direct is a challenge sometimes.

Is it ok to say 'here is an investment I think you all should have a look at' if you aren't involved in any way?

The discretion applied by the mods seems to be excellent, the only regrettable thing I can remember was the pulling of some of Steve N's content long after it's posting.

Whatever happens the Somersoft forums remain a superb free resource.

... The sad thing is that I know ( and other members know ) from past experience that many members are swayed by peoples percieved reputation.

... Problem with letting one go through is what do you do when something really dubious gets pushed .
I also didn't get to read Acey's post, though from all I read here last night I guess I don't need to now. Going to bed I was of the opinion that the post should not have been pulled. Then this morning reading the above I have to say that perhaps there is a higher degree of responsibility for the members with clout. Certainly Acey is a truly valuable member and from what I hear a genuinely nice guy, with that comes a heavier burden that See Change was pointing out.

At any rate I hope that this discussion :
1. Doesn't cause any of those involved to exit from this forum where they are ALL loved.

2. Can get us to draw up guidlines on to what extent non-property issues can be discussed. I personally feel that the Coffee Lounge should be somewhat less restrained. This is not to confuse members' "burden of repsect".

3. Can also motivate us to form guidelines on promotion of members' business ventures, etc.

Clearly there are some heavy issues here, that I feel cannot be fairly discussed while we talk about Acey's case in this particular thread. Specific issue related threads would need to be started, don't you think ? In that way it removes Acey personally from the dicussion which is as it should be, since as See Change pointed out we should be talking about rules that apply to all in such cases.

Acey
PS: I should add that my main concern here is that new members see you as a senior member of the forum and as such you need to be aware of your potential influence.

cheers
In this sentence you have hit on my biggest concern re SS.

There are many "senior members" here who advocate what I believe to be an inappropriate approach to investment. It is 5 years too late to be borrowing to the max on -ve geared property but this is still the underlying philosophy of those who sit at the "top table" here. A small number of us (Acey TC and I included but with the help of others) have tried to expand the concept of "property" to the more inclusive "investment". I'm unsure why Ian wishes to reverse this but it his forum and he can do so if he chooses.

Thommo

It is 5 years too late to be borrowing to the max on -ve geared property but this is still the underlying philosophy of those who sit at the "top table" here.
Thommo,

I agree. And I'd also agree that a lot of the venerable members here still adopt that as the panacea of investing. However, they do seem to be advocating caution in its application of late. At least there seems to be some tempering of this approach now with a view that "hidden value" or "creating equity" in your property investments is critical in a flat market. Just buying a mediocre property with a buy and wait approach no longer seems to fit (for now anyway).

I do personally welcome more of a broad discussion on alternate investment vehicles, but I think the concerns raised here were more with plugging a product than with dicussing the approach in general. I know Acey wasn't plugging his product but it seems the post was interpreted as such.

Cheers,
Michael.

A small number of us (Acey TC and I included but with the help of others) have tried to expand the concept of "property" to the more inclusive "investment".

Why?

This forum is what it is - a forum for residential property investors.

Afaik, Jan has not yet written a book called More Wealth from Shares.

I'm unsure why Ian wishes to reverse this but it his forum and he can do so if he chooses.

Welcome to the Property Investor's Forum

Thommo - I think that page answers your question.

Ian hasn't reversed anything.

M

It seems to me that given the post must have at least bordered on marketing an investment it would have been mature and prudent (err not to mention polite) to ask Ian or the Mods to review the content of the intended post before posting it.

Back