Why was Aceyducey's thread removed??

Duncs, Pitt

I just noticed your last greens squares are a lighter colour than you other ones . six ...!!

Is there any significance to this ?

See Change

Is there any significance to this ?
Its for the numerically challenged of us, so that it is immediately apparent when you tick over from 5... ;)

Its standard in the software I think and I've seen it on other forums where posters have dozens of little green boxes.

Or, it could just mean that they're really really special. What do I know...

Cheers,
Michael.

In this sentence you have hit on my biggest concern re SS.

There are many "senior members" here who advocate what I believe to be an inappropriate approach to investment. It is 5 years too late to be borrowing to the max on -ve geared property but this is still the underlying philosophy of those who sit at the "top table" here. A small number of us (Acey TC and I included but with the help of others) have tried to expand the concept of "property" to the more inclusive "investment". I'm unsure why Ian wishes to reverse this but it his forum and he can do so if he chooses.

Thommo

Ahhhhhhh its been a while since Ive read a post of yours Thommo.

Always makes me smile...

i'm really grateful for this forum -so much information!

i think that both property and shares are good investment strategies -each a tool to be used in certain situations

both are also areas that, in my opinion, have a very steep learning curve. at least some basic knowledge in economics, business, law, finance, tax, buildings, renovations, etc.

books have to be read, articles need to be found etc. unless due diligence has been done, it can be easy to be taken in for a ride (i was a little taken in with my first IP because i didnt read/know enough).

so, from my perspective, a reason for limiting discussion on shares could be to prevent people being burnt (to have a proper discussion, assumed knowledge is quite high, e.g. newbie property developers are advised to read ~3 books before starting out)

and from the other perspective, a balanced portfolio is perhaps the optimum investment strategy for some circumstances. and shares can be related to property investment as a 'finance strategy' if you are using shares to fund your property... hmm bit tricky :)

I also think it appropriate that some comparison of when to move money in and out of property, from other asset classes, is justified. All financial advisors and savvy investors I know recommend regular review of their investment balance in different asset classes.

I think to keep the forum thrust a rigidly property only affair would not reflect investment reality for many of us on the forum. And ultimately, may risk rendering the forum and Jan's books anachronistic, if they don't address changing times.

Nevertheless, I think the mods have been pretty generous allowing anything to be discussed in the coffee lounge.....I know what sort of coffee machine to buy now, and computer, router, car....and what IPO not to....

I personally would love to hear more from Jan or Ian regarding their take on the current property investment market.

It seems to me that given the post must have at least bordered on marketing an investment it would have been mature and prudent (err not to mention polite) to ask Ian or the Mods to review the content of the intended post before posting it.

And thus the story grows bigger than the actual post :)

I do admit that I suggested to people that they come to the Big BBQ in Canberra in October to hear about my experiences - and I do admit that the Big BBQ could be considered an investment (in your own development as an investor).

However there was no marketing of an investment of the type suggested by Ian.

My goal was to start a discussion about my experiences through the process of starting and building a company up to a point (which in this case was a public listing).

This, I thought, might be of benefit to others considering an involvement in a similar process. There was even a chance that there would be posts from others who'd been through this type of process that I could learn from.

My post's timing was based on when the company's website went live - I could finally show the world what I'd been working on for two years (to the month actually) and demonstrate how I'd been putting my sweat and money where my mouth has been (in this forum and elsewhere). There was also some pride in 'my' 'child's' achievements - plus I did put together the website :) (feedback gratefully accepted, but make'em PMs thanks).

I was, and am, pretty happy with what I, and the many others involved in the project, have achieved (and we achieved another milestone today, with much sweat and blood involved).

My post also set a framework for how I could discuss my experiences and to handle any questions about the company itself (which I expected, Somersoftians being a nosy bunch). This is necessary because I'm an official of the company and we're going through a process where legal requirements must be met.

The post was checked against the forum rules for the Coffee Lounge and Caveat Emptor. As there was no investment on offer, Coffee Lounge fit better.

I'm now discussing with Ian how he'd like a post phrased that says the same things but doesn't push any buttons.

I cannot guarantee that there will be a way.

And Michael, after the reception here, I'm not going to dare posting investment experiences in InvestEd unless invited to by the owner. But you have my number and we can always catch up for a chat.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Last edited:
And Michael, after the reception here, I'm not going to dare posting investment experiences in InvestEd unless invited to by the owner...
Acey I don't think there is much censorship involved on InvestEd so probably worthwhile posting :D I might stand corrected, but most people would find it interesting I think ... in fact I think there is a thread on a similar topic : http://www.invested.com.au/forums/7/pre-ipo-investments-640/

My goal was to start a discussion about my experiences through the process of starting and building a company up to a point (which in this case was a public listing).

This, I thought, might be of benefit to others considering an involvement in a similar process. There was even a chance that there would be posts from others who'd been through this type of process that I could learn from.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Craig !!!!,

We've known each other for several years , we've met social many times and I think we both have some respect for each others opinion though at time we disagree ... ( as all friends do )

and I'm sure if I was in your situation I would have done exactly the same and probably be disappointed with the reaction...:eek: :eek:

BUT

please don't try and twist the truth . You will loose the respect from many people on the forum if you try and put a different angle on your initial post.

As many people know , you and Jas are published authors. I would have expected something slightly more comprehensive , and something that actually discussed the process , not a fairly brief post announcing the end result.

If you want to be treated with respect , please treat the forum with the respect that it deserves.

See Change

I think this thread has gone far enough. I accept Acey's motives were honorable, but I don't believe his original post made that obvious. His contributions to this forum have been many, valuable and over an extended period. The mods have a difficult enough job to do in maintaining some semblance of order in these discussions and to try to keep any self-interest investment promotions to a minimum. Acey's original post could have been (and was in some circles) interpreted as being in that category, and was therefore removed.

I am sure that if his latest venture were kept in context, his investment life- story would be an interesting one for the forum and a worthy candidate for Ruby's interview section.

Back