Will Property ever Boom again

ROFL... that is like saying unemployment will never spike again, or traffic will one day flow smoothly without concertina effect, or interest rates will never drop back to recent lows or, or.... :rolleyes:

Prime example of journalistic writer's block... need a story, have nothing tangible to say, so I will make up some flimsy hypothetical crap article... :rolleyes:

Utter rubbish.... never say never ;) (oops, I just did twice!)

things run in cycles. sentiment and fundamentals aren't lining up well for resi property for quite some time. Sure it will change, but the hot money is in commodities and cf+ investments

This "Time" will boom.

A good little laugh I had recently was an interesting editorial put out by the WSJ. They were talking about contrarian economics and how some large fund managers study booms/busts by media sentiment and bet against it. Then tongue and cheek they spoke about property being a good investment due to the Time Cover Story Metric.

Just before the GFC Time's cover story (June 2008) was:
time_mag_home_cover.jpg

Now, (November 2010) the cover story is:
ar128395765316559.jpg

A contrarian would tell you it is a good time to invest!

traffic will one day flow smoothly without concertina effect

That would be heaven! Then you could travel 100km/h down the freeway no matter how many cars were on the road. (With 2 feet of space between each one!)

Actually I do believe that might be possible one day, when humans stop driving.

I dont think so. The successful and experienced and investor knows that you dont have to be active all the time. It just dilutes overall results.

The know when to sit tight and wait for better times.

Mom and pop investors think the need to be buying, buying all the time. Sometimes its more hobby than results.

I doubt it.
I think the experienced and succesful investor will be selective on what he buys and where he buys

It would be a combination of timing, diligence and luck. Some times are better then others, some investments are better then others regardless of time and some things are unpredictable.

Note, timing is a dangerous justification to avoid serendipity.

......................A contrarian would tell you it is a good time to invest!

Perhaps having the contrarian standpoint involves being a good time to prepare to invest for the next up-cycle in whatever market one is involved in.

Real estate tends to go up for approximately one third of the time in a cycle and then track sideways and sometimes not even matching inflation for the other two thrirds.

Whilst it can come out in the wash over one full cycle and preferably two or three, to have money/funds/equity in a new acquisition as a market is falling or softening means a sub-optimal return may be achieved. Whilst property cannot be likened to the technical analysis of a share/index, the old adage of buy a rising share may ring true. Perhaps forsaking the first 10-15 % of the rampant rise of a new cycle, gives one a better return timing the purchase. ;)

I've been at this caper since 1985, so showing my vintage :p and, in the beginning I didn't know what I didn't know, however several cycles later, my position is still very juicy as far as net worth and now cashflow is concerned.

However as with all things involving hindsight, if I were to have my time again and of course have the benefit of knowing what I know now, I would do things differently. :cool:

Time in the market is important however timing to glean the most growth in equity possible in the shortest period of time possible is also a valid play. This can involve interstate purchases in an accelerating market, whilst sitting and holding in a sideways one.

It's all about looking at the best return one can get for their dollars. Sometimes this may involve harvesting losers and sitting tight when the market is merely idling IMO.

Right now is the time to have revals done and stockpile offsets. So, it is a good time to prepare to buy (in much of Australia) rather than just buy because others are selling.

I am not a buyer right now, however if I were, the only place I reckon has legs on the eastern seaboard at least, is Sydney in a general sense. It is also the only major city with real supply issues. The other under-supply stories are myths. Melbourne, Brisbane and surrounding precincts are softening. There will be minor exceptions and of course I am not including, nor commenting on regionals with drivers such as mining. I know little about SA and the west, so others can comment on those.

That's my 0.02

Oh, and in answer to the OP in this thread.....Yes, it will boom again, when?.......I dounno. I let the market decide that and like a good ship I will rise with the tide.

Last edited:
A contrarian would tell you it is a good time to invest!

A contrarian investor will tell you its a good time to invest, when there is blood on the streets.
There is no blood yet, just an overall pause.

Look at the above time articles, when where the two written????
Now look at the timing of the second one, has property bottomed between the time of writing that article and now???

The real contrarian time to buy will be when the D&G'ers/renters are crowing how smart they are by renting, and the recent historical statistics 'prove' their point.

A contrarian investor will tell you its a good time to invest, when there is blood on the streets.
There is no blood yet, just an overall pause.

The real contrarian time to buy will be when the D&G'ers/renters are crowing how smart they are by renting, and the recent historical statistics 'prove' their point.

That's what I'm counting on baby. Blood on the streets (figuratively) in 2011/2012 as the economic problems grow again.

By then, when property prices have fallen 30%+, and the renters are crowing how smart they were, it will be time to buy more properties in 2013. Maybe a mini-boom. But I don't think we will see anything like the 200% decade gains again in my lifetime in property. Maybe another asset class.

bluestorm - when the mining boom stops people will be put of jobs and the banks won't lend. Should in fact look forward to moving back home with mum in 2013.

Back