Will Property ever Boom again

The 'real' financial wizards took down their employers in one fell swoop. It must be something magical to play with money you don't even own and bankrupt shareholders and almost take down the entire financial system.

Of course the average family can afford to buy a house in Australia.

It is just that Australians are too choosey.

You can still buy houses in the outer suburbs of Sydney for $250k...sure it might need a bit of work but someone on a combimed income of $60-80k can still do it comfortably.

The houses at these prices are Kingswood, St Marys, and Mt Druitt.

This is the line of thinking that got Australian housing into this mess where an average family can't afford a decent home. Most people don't have dividends and capital gains. How is an average family supposed to buy a home if they're competing against others using unfair means to leverage up? This is just a vicious circle with capital gains feeding into more capital gains as the property ponzi bubble inflates and pushes house prices out of reach. You can easily see from these charts... Property Bubble Chart Gallery ...just how overpriced Australian housing is compared to the rest of the world. A family on average wage should be able to afford an average home without relying on bonuses and phoney dividend streams and false equity that can vanish in a puff of smoke when deflation sets in! What is so "star performing" about excessive house prices. You say this like it's a good thing. Will you not be happy until every normal family in Australia is priced out?

Of course the average family can afford to buy a house in Australia.

Instead of using comparable income/price percentiles (ie traditional measures such as average person/average house) you are stating everything is ok because someone on average income can buy the worst house.

This is changing the goalposts by removing the 50% of the population who are below median. If people of average income live in the worst houses, where do the people with below average income live? If you say "they should rent" then you tacitly accepting a rent/price bubble, and a change from the norm in other countries and Australia's history outside of the current housing bubble.

Instead of using comparable income/price percentiles (ie traditional measures such as average person/average house) you are stating everything is ok because someone on average income can buy the worst house.

This is changing the goalposts by removing the 50% of the population who are below median. If people of average income live in the worst houses, where do the people with below average income live? If you say "they should rent" then you tacitly accepting a rent/price bubble, and a change from the norm in other countries and Australia's history outside of the current housing bubble.

If anything, I suspect Australia is headed more toward the European model of having more renters, less owners. Of course, this would take several generations to occur, but I would not be surprised to see it happen.

Realistically, do we expect median priced Australian homes to return to price levels where a family on a single, average income can buy, and still maintain the kind of lifestyle most Aussies expect?

Prices will soften over the next few years, but I doubt we'll see a return to the price levels of say, the mid 90's, any time soon.

I agree with this view....

I good comparison is London where rents and property prices have continued to push.

Most people in London these days rent. The property prices are high due to a lot of rich foreigners buying property though the price increases have been a lot slower than the 80s and 90s.

Other cities like Manchester, Leeds, and Birmingham have more potential for larger increases of prices.

If anything, I suspect Australia is headed more toward the European model of having more renters, less owners. Of course, this would take several generations to occur, but I would not be surprised to see it happen.

Realistically, do we expect median priced Australian homes to return to price levels where a family on a single, average income can buy, and still maintain the kind of lifestyle most Aussies expect?

Prices will soften over the next few years, but I doubt we'll see a return to the price levels of say, the mid 90's, any time soon.

This is the line of thinking that got Australian housing into this mess where an average family can't afford a decent home. Most people don't have dividends and capital gains. How is an average family supposed to buy a home if they're competing against others using unfair means to leverage up? This is just a vicious circle with capital gains feeding into more capital gains as the property ponzi bubble inflates and pushes house prices out of reach. You can easily see from these charts... Property Bubble Chart Gallery ...just how overpriced Australian housing is compared to the rest of the world. A family on average wage should be able to afford an average home without relying on bonuses and phoney dividend streams and false equity that can vanish in a puff of smoke when deflation sets in! What is so "star performing" about excessive house prices. You say this like it's a good thing. Will you not be happy until every normal family in Australia is priced out?

You have the completely wrong mindset and this sort of thinking will limit your ability to reach significant financial goals.

What are these 'unfair means' people are using? We live in a democratic capitalist society - everyone has the same opportunity. It is those who harness these opportunities that succeed financially.

If you are unhappy about the 'average' family not being able to achieve the 'average' house, don't just winge about it, take some proactive steps to change the situation.

Become above average. Make choices that will lead to an increased income, increase your financial knowledge, and get in the market and purchase capital appreciating assets. If you don't do this and instead continue to winge and say things are unfair, you'll look back in 10 years and be in exactly the same situation, while those who have made better choices will be even further ahead.

Back