Win XP and Service Pack 3 - Tech help pls!

Hi IT gurus

I need a plain english answer without micros@#$ microbabble.

I've got a notebook that came with XP PRO and have latest Office suite with outlook.

I've downloaded some updates like all good munchkins are told to...but now my outlook won't work and I can't get my @#$%ing WIFI to talk to internet explorer...at telstra hotspots (I think there's a conspiracy here but don't get me started...)

The problem with outlook is when I try to download email I get this message:

reported error (0x8004210A) :'The operation timed out waiting for a response from the receiving
(POP) server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your
server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).

Now I've duly contacted Telstra Bigpond my ISP and they helpfully pointed me to the microsoft website which says I need Service Pack 3 - all @#$%ing 57MB of it!!! How am I going to get that with dial up?!?!?

Aha I thought, I'll download it via wifi at 11mb/s at a telstra hotspot, say Qantas club etc...wrong again. Altho my wifi happily tells me I've got a strong connection to the relevant network, I can't get my internet explorer to open up the telstra hotspot logon screen...it's supposed to open automatically...

this has got me really annoyed...any suggestions for a fix guys???

thanks
N.

How to fix microsoft problems in two easy steps

1. Reboot, try again.
  2. If above step doesnt work: Reinstall OS.

Unfortunately I think you need a friend with a high speed connection and a CD burner!.

I would give you a copy of sp3...but you would need to visit my office in Tokyo :D Techie tip: They have told you go go away, do something that takes a long time and is difficult...I suggest that installing sp3 may not be the solution, they more than likely have no idea! Its the old government trick of saying "fill in this 24 page form and go to the end of the queue"

Sim said:
I hope you mean Service Pack 2 ? SP3 is a long way away yet !

Office XP service pack 3 is released.

I think you are thinking about the Windows XP OS which is currently on SP2 level.

Trust me I am a professional :(

Don't know about SP3, but there have been a lot of problems reported by people installing SP2, (me being one of them) - maybe SP3 is the same?

I uninstalled SP2, did some simple tweaking and all's well again. If you get yourself sorted, it might be wise to check out the updates available and only install the ones you need and not the whole SP package which includes some things you'll probably never need or use!

Don't believe everything MS says about constantly installing the updates - we all know how safe, good and necessary MS products are - NOT!

Cheers
Olly

Back