window frames

i have a mould problem on my windows. i was thinking of changing the glass to laminate but that still wouldn't eradicate the mould problem.
my only other solution is to change the frames and start again whilst trying to find the source of the mould.

question is: will changing the frames minimise return of the mould?

and secondly, anyone know where i can get timber frames at a reasonable cost in melbourne?

i should throw in a third question - how expensive is it to eradicate mould? i'm guessing that the source is poor drainage outside my window - i have ceiling to floor windows with very thin glass (1950s)

thanks

I would not go to the expense of changing windows just because of mould, you answered your own question there. Poor ventilation, dampness, causes mould to grow, then once you have mould you need to kill the spores, or it will continue to return. Bleach does not kill spores. Vinegar does, then apparently oil of cloves will help in it not returning, but of course only if you increase the ventilation.

Is the mould inside or outside? If inside, what room, ie if bathroom, install fan, open window.

Do a search, I do recall a thread years ago about mould.

The only time I've had an issue with mouldy window frames was in my daughter's bedroom where she had a window box on the ledge. The plants had got huge and were right up against the window and were pumping out so much moisture that was condensing on the glass and then dripping down to the frame I had incredible mould - as soon as that was noticed, outside the plants went. Now, no mould.

You're just getting condensation on the inside of the glass from some moisture source inside. Get rid of the moisture source, problem solved. What room is this in?

I'd try the vinegar first and see what happens. As others have said, locate the source and ventilate more. Best of luck.

thanks for your responses..
i have tried vinegar and the mould returned..
the room is the bedroom and right outside the window is a huge tree..
can't remove the tree and even if i really wanted to, i need a council permit..

the glass is so thin that even cleaning it scares me - fear of it breaking and doing some major damage to my arteries!

will try to clear the planter boxes in front of the window and see if that makes a difference too..
:)

Back