Window screens

Hi
I was wondering if any of the property managers can help me out. We have a tennant who seems to think that we are cashed up and makes a demand every month for a new shower head, new curtains,replace a chipped tile, the front door slams, etc. We have been fairly tolerant but as it comes time to renew the lease she would like fly screens installed on all of the windows. I know to some this sounds reasonable, but I just want to know whether we have to do this as she rented the place knowing that there wasn't any? My agent says that I have to, but I can't see anything about it on the SA tennancy web page.
Thanks for any help
Meg

You dont have to do it if you dont want to. Its up to you.

Not sure how experienced you are as a landlord but from my experience if you want to keep tenants you need to provide 3 basic things -

Security
Comfort
Spaciousness.

These are all part of my IP purchasing criteria. If a potential IP purchase does not meet that criteria I will negotiate with the offer a price reduction for me to install these items myself.,,,,,its all part of the value adding process and looking after your best interests as an investor.

Fly screens would fall under the comfort module. You could kill 2 birds with one stone, Security & comfort, and install security screens to windows & doors.

Just my suggestion.

I would not do this unless they are prepared to pay a little more rent. They have rented the place "as is" and this is not a general repair, it is an improvement, which will cost you a considerable amount of money to provide.

Wylie

Thanks Wylie and Rixter for your replies. I do intend on putting screens on, I just don't want to be pushed in a corner to do it right now. I just feel that it was okay for 1 1/2 years, but now I'm going for a substantial rent raise she wants more. This is my 2nd IP and I can't believe the requests she comes up with every month and I have found the agent has just called the handy man around again for a $150 bill, because I'm in another state and can't do it myself.
So I don't legally have to do anything just yet?
Meg

Thanks Wylie, now what do I do about the agent who has quoted in her email that "unfortunately it is in the act that all windows must have screens?"
I have been thinking that it is time to change PMs!
Meg

Can you call whatever government agency handles this. In Queensland it is the RTA (Residential Tenancies Association).

Maybe Vic is different but none of our rentals have screens and we have never had an issue. I think the agent needs a bex and a good lie down :p

Wylie

i would've thought that in a country like australia, screens would be considered standard (not a luxury) - but at the same time i'd be putting the rent up ...

i would've thought that in a country like australia, screens would be considered standard (not a luxury) - but at the same time i'd be putting the rent up ...

This interests me. I have heard this on Somersoft before. I grew up with flyscreens and had a bit of trouble adjusting to not having them when I met hubby. He grew up without them.

In our older suburb, I only know one family with flyscreens. I am sure there are plenty of houses with them, specially new builds but of our friends, only one with screens. They cut the breeze down so much that I would never live with them again. As for mozzies and flies, well you just live around them. It is not really an issue. Mozzie zappers work wonders and flies are not really such a bother. Some days they are around, but not too much.

Fair sure the council sprays the outlying areas of Brisbane so mozzies never really a problem here. If we get some at night, we plug in a zapper, but hardly ever need to.

Wylie

Unless there is a special regulation in SA that says screens are neccessary, then the agent is feeding you a line.

When a tenant rents a place of mine, they rent it "as is". I do not pay for optional extra's just because a tenant wants it. I keep well maintained homes, but do not pander to tenants that seem to think you have a never ending bank account. I also regularly put up the rent.

I have one house with a long term tenant in it. At first there was an endless list of things that she wanted done. Each request was met with the same response "the house comes as is". Maintenance is always done ASAP, but no extra's. Over the years she has been there we have had numerous requests for things & some of those items numerous times. I still get requests for things for her, but the volume of requests have dwindled considerably.

Cats and littile kids can be bad on insect screens as well. Wear n tear factor. Might need to check insurnce policy is covered.

Aaron

I rented my IP at the very top of the rental range for similar properties. The extra money has paid for some requests such as fly screens. I'm not about to pander to their every whim; but small comfort items are easily installed, add value to the home, and lead to a good first impression / relationship.

My attitude is that tenants inevitably find a few issues when them move in and the rent I charge takes this into account (in advance).

I rented my IP at the very top of the rental range for similar properties. The extra money has paid for some requests such as fly screens.

I've never experienced that. The extra rent - if any - I normally get for my houses pushes the gross yield from say 3.3% up to say 3.4 or 3.5%. When paying outgoings out of that, brings the nett yield down to say 2.1 or 2.2%. As compared to the 7.5% interest rate payable on funds, there is definitely no "extra money" left over for indulging Tenant's post Lease signing whims. Even if I tripled my rents, there still wouldn't be excess funds.

I'm not about to pander to their every whim; but small comfort items are easily installed, add value to the home, and lead to a good first impression / relationship.

I've never experienced any of those either. A 4x2 house on a standard quarter acre block of land in a certain area is worth what it is worth. I've never had a valuation come in higher because of small comfort items. Indeed, every residential valuation I've ever had done (14 residential valuations for first security purposes all up over the years), not once has the Licensed valuer ever stepped out of the car. They are able to assess 99% of the property's market value standing on the kerb. In the posher areas where the underlying dirt is more valuable, this is even moreso the case. Little comfort items for the tenant that cost the Landlord are not part of that value equation.

In terms of impressions and relationships - whoa, that's way too touchy feely for me. Relying on what is stated in the governing Act and was has been executed on the Lease is where it boils down to. Most Tenants push the Landlord for everything they can get (seems to be an Aussie tradition) and so despite good feelings and intentions, eventually the cashflow concerns take over and you arrive back at both the legislation and the exact Lease wording and underlying intent of that wording.

My attitude is that tenants inevitably find a few issues when them move in and the rent I charge takes this into account (in advance).

I've never had that with my houses. The rent never, not once, takes into account the extra cashflow burdens asked for.

You must have some very special houses Dis, with some extremely wealthy tenants paying you generously to be able to absorb this impost out of the cashflow generated from your rents. May I ask what gross and nett yield you are receiving. It must be way up there in the teens for you to have excess cash. Good luck to you if it is.

Maybe it comes down to the fact that you have a good attitude towards your cashflow and Tenants and I have a very poor pessimistic attitude to both. Knowing my shortcomings / limitations though, I changed tact and now don't have to incur expenses like meg is asking about. I was simply the wrong horse running the wrong course. Perhaps this course suits you...which is great.

I have to say that in nearly 30 years of renting a house/houses I have only ever been "put upon" by tenants once that I can remember, when they wanted to install a through the window air-conditioner.

Because it improved the house and would make next tenant easier to find, we told them that we would install a split system instead.

Seriously, we just don't get tenants asking for things. Our houses are all in good condition, nothing too flash, but good middle of the road houses.

It has just never been an issue with our tenants, dozens and dozens over the years.

I would only ever agree to add something if it

1. improved the rentability of the house; and
2. gave us higher rent.

Wylie

While on the topic of flyscreens, if it comes to installing be careful if the property is near the bush (ie. in a 'bushfire' zone). Fibreglass screens do not meet the current codes and neither do aluminium any more. The screen will need to be stainless steel or some type of coated steel mesh. These are a lot more expensive and coated steel has the risk of corroding if in a salt water environment.

Reference AS3959

Regards
Able

Fly screens

Well, I have had an interesting day and I still don't really know if I have to install them or not. I looked up on the SA tennancy web page as to a landlord's obligations and it stated that a landlord must protect from vermin and sated what to do if you had rats, wasps or bees (ie spray, trap, bait) but not flies or mossies. So I emailed them and this is what they said:

"I advise that a Landlord has an obligation under Section 68 of the Residential
Tenancies Act, 1995 to comply with statutory requirements affecting the
rental premises. The Housing Improvement Act 1940 states that premises
must be adequately ventilated and maintained to prevent infestation by
vermin. Therefore, the Landlord must supply sufficient flyscreens to
allow adequate ventilation which excludes insects. You may wish to
contact SAHT Housing Improvements on 8207 0504 in relation to their
regulations regarding flyscreens on windows and doors."

I have screens on the doors, air conditioning and ceiling fans (ventilation) and think that it seems a bit open to interpretation. I just don't need this right now!!! I wonder if you can say you will do it over time or can they insist?

Thanks for all of your feedback. I wonder if Xenia knows?
Meg

Back