Windows in the garage.To have or not to have?

At the moment im about to start building, and im 50/50 on whether i should put windows on the side of one garage.

Due to certain reasons, i can only put glass blocks windows on my garage or fire rated windows.Im not allowed to put a door or windows that open on the side of my garage, as per my architect reccomendations.

My architect recommended glass blocks, but i never knew that glass blocks where so expensive.I was looking at 3k just for two glass block windows.

Do you think its worth having widows on a garage?

It would be a large double garage, and im just not sure about the need for extra windows.

Maza, I can't help you with an answer but what is the reasoning for putting in windows, heat or light? Could you use a sky light or two for natural light?

Gools

I wouldn't use Windows. Get a Mac instead of a PC and you won't need Windows at all :)

I had a window put in my garage when we built. But as there wasn't much room for anything but cars it wasn't worth the extra. And they were just standard windows.

No

Big no from me on this 1 for the following:

a) I don't spend enough time in there to warrent added expense to provide natural light
b) I don't like providing an easy entry point to the criminally minded in an area my security system doesnt cover, that contains valuables and that leads into the rest of the house
c) When I do have a garage project unnatural light adds to the atmosphere and no windows enhances the security of my top secret projects (usually listening to the radio as I potter about having me time with a beer)
d) I come from a long line of dank garage dwellers and have evolved to suit that environment.

:)

almost finished building...it was a must for me, im always in the garage messing around..

it will depend on how your building is situated though.....if you get the western sun in the arvo and your area is hot forget it, southern side sweet as...worth it in my opinion, makes things more lighter and feel "airy" so to speak...

No windows here

I have a large 2 car garage with no windows.

Just lots of lights to brighten up the concrete floor.

Its a no from me.

Kaz

Do you have a laundry in the garage?
If you do ,make sure the door has glass in it to provide light.

If not,it is terrible to walk into a garage, and not being able to see,
At 3K I would just go fluros,but normally it is good to have a window in there,perhaps you can get a garage door with clear areas in it to allow some light in?

Thanks for all your comments.

I never though about having the garage door with clear areas.

Ive decided to take out my two 2100 by 850 glass blocks and just put one glass block, 1600 by 850.

Windows are only needed for either;

1) Light
2) Air flow

Given that your windows are not going to be openable, that rules out #2. So it just comes down to whether you want light without having to turn on a switch.

Back