Would you expect a Personal Trainer to look fit?

While at the shops today, I noticed a man in a tight top, shorts and joggers. The back of the top read "Personal Trainer" and did not appear to be an off-the-rack type of top. It looked like it had been added after it was bought in order to promote this man's business.

Anyway......this man was far from what I would presume a Personal Trainer would look like. He wasn't just 'stocky', he was very definately obese. In fact, I would presume that his total measurement for around the stomach area would be very much more than two average 'fit' men would be if they were standing close together.

It just got me thinking. Who would employ a personal trainer that was so very overweight? I certainly wouldn't. I'd expect a personal trainer to be in better condition than myself, & I'm not in the best of condition since having to give up skating.

I think it may have been a joke!

All the personal trainers i know, work almost as hard as the folks they train!
It would be difficult for them to look like the bloke you just described, Skater.

I think it may have been a joke!

All the personal trainers i know, work almost as hard as the folks they train!
It would be difficult for them to look like the bloke you just described, Skater.

Well, that's what I thought too.:confused: The guy was dressed in sporty gear, just very, large sporty gear. His legs looked kind of toned in a large kind of way.

I suppose, to his defence, he looked like he might have been an islander, & many of them (out this way at least) carry a fair load.

Well, that's what I thought too.:confused: The guy was dressed in sporty gear, just very, large sporty gear. His legs looked kind of toned in a large kind of way.

I suppose, to his defence, he looked like he might have been an islander, & many of them (out this way at least) carry a fair load.

True - also may have been a trainer for a specific sport. Shot-put, weightlifting etc. (sumo wrestling ;) )

He's probably a practical trainer, maybe a strength orientated trainer, unlike most these days getting clients to do kickbacks with the pink dumbbells while balancing on a swiss ball.

Some of the best coaches hardly look the peak of physical fitness but seem to get the best out of their players.

Oh, I know that! I'm not exactly in peak conditon, yet I coach. I am not, however, a personal trainer. I expect more from a personal trainer. Not sure why, I just do.

I agree with you, Skater. I think a 'personal trainer' should look fit. Just as I expect my hairdresser to have well maintained hair; my dentist to have clean, straight, white teeth, etc.

Maybe he's just a coach of a sports team - or an assistant. He probably used to play in the team but let himself go...

I used to use a personal trainer. Stocky. But strong and fit as hell.

I try not to judge a book by it's cover.

Unless it's a Dan Brown book. They are easily judged by their cover.

I saw a massively fat guy once with a t-shirt that read "I beat anorexia".

Saw one with "I'm getting in shape- round is a shape" :D

My future SIL is a personal trainer. rides (pushbike) 60k on the weekends, runs, swims etc. VERY fit. That's what I would expect.

It's like property investment. Would you listen to someone giving advice that had no property?

As I have an interest in weight training, I wouldn't be worried what they look like. It's their knowledge and application I'd be paying for.

I see alot of good looking, lean people give some stupid advice in gyms.

I can see the irony in the personal trainer, but I don't expect my accountant to be great with their money (even though I know that she is).

I used to use a personal trainer. Stocky. But strong and fit as hell.
This guy was more than just stocky.

My future SIL is a personal trainer. rides (pushbike) 60k on the weekends, runs, swims etc. VERY fit. That's what I would expect.
Yes, that is what I would expect too.

To me, a coach teaches a specific sport. Often they are older but have runs on the board and have competed themselves. They know how to play the game and impart those skills on their (usually) younger students. As time goes by, their body may not be what it was when they, themselves played that sport.

A personal trainer does not teach a specific sport. They teach fitness. I would expect a personal trainer to be able to keep up with their students and to be very fit. If they can't do that, then they would not be much of a personal trainer.

Obviously you have developed strong opinions on the matter such as "A personal trainer does not teach a specific sport. They teach fitness. I would expect a personal trainer to be able to keep up with their students and to be very fit. If they can't do that, then they would not be much of a personal trainer."

Did you share it with him ?

Who would employ a personal trainer that was so very overweight? I certainly wouldn't. I'd expect a personal trainer to be in better condition than myself, & I'm not in the best of condition since having to give up skating.

You can apply the same to any spruiker, presentor vendor etc for real estate services, advise (disguised as "non advise") etc.
Do you listen to those who actually did what they tell you, or those who made commissions telling what they told you.

Surely logic would dictate the efficacy of a personal trainer would be better indicated by what their clients look like rather than what they look like?

Back