Would you rent to your ex wife/husband???

My IP is vacant and the PM has presented two prospective tenants. Both look ok but the better of the two happens to be my ex wife who I haven't seen or had any contact with in over 20 years. The marriage split was tense (aren't they all?) without being nasty but I'm a little uncomfortable with her as my tenant... but recognise it should be a straight business decision with no emotion. I use a PM for all my IP so it's not like I'll have to have day to day contact but with her as my tenant I can rule out ever visiting the property again while she's there. What would you do???

:(

NO,

however that is somewhat amusing she has come across your desk as a tenant.
two things 1) you got the upper hand, your right its your IP, and she is now a TENANT... (revenge is sweet) 2) how do you know its your ex wife? like does she know your the landlord?

Does you x-wife know you are the landlord? It would be hard to keep "emotion" out of it when it comes to rent increases. I would find it hard to increase the rent in that situation.

Does she know you are the landlord?

If she doesnt , is it a concern to you if she finds out?

Putting aside any emotions, its a business decision. As long as both parties abide the legal aspects of the contract things continue on as normal. Any breaches and they are delt with accordingly, no matter who signs the lease agreement.

At the end of the day it comes down to your personal decision of how you feel about the situation.

Hope this helps.

I know it's her because the name is sufficiently unusual. She doesn't know I'm the landlord but if she rents long enough I can see her finding out. I'm bound to need to visit the house eventually to check on a repair or maintenance issue and like to pay a visit once a year even if there's nothing wrong. I shiver when I think about the awkwardness of our meeting again after so long.

Sounds too hard...

you can pick the next tenant without any hassles, and strict business with no emotion..

imagine if it was tribunal, shed be damsel in distress shafting you...

even if she paid a premium (i doubt she would) i wouldnt advise...

I don't think it's worth the stress. She might not be applying for it if she knew you were the landlord anyways.....

I say No.
Its can be an easy mishap or mistake by any party for her to find out you are the landlord.
All that nastyness could come rushing back into your life or hers.
Do you want that?
cheers yadreamin

I am with the others with a big big NO. It definitely could open up a can of worms.

Even if there are no problems with the two of you, when she eventually finds out you are the landlord she could be very upset (even illogicially) that you did not disclose this as the time (even though you don't have to).

Just best to leave it alone I think.

No, don't do it. Just politely decline the application.

If they both don't know, I doubt her husband would like the idea much either once he finds out. Theres a power imbalance, who needs the stress.

Property Mogul:
Would you rent to your ex wife/husband???

Ummm, yes, I would actually, so far so good on my choices about partners, I am a better person for having been fortunate to know them.

The point that our relationship may not have endured has never altered my perception of them as wonderful people, part of the reason I was involved with them from the start. For myself, and Mr Our Obsession, we have no worries on past choices and the regard and respect we have for them.

Our experiences are not yours however, I wish you well on your own choices.

It was all unanimous until you came along, obsession :p

Another No to the list from me, but I like the way Boomtown said it the best.

Nope,
not businesss reasons, (important)
I would just prefer to think of my ex living under a bridge somewhere with the other trolls

business reasons
And I do know what type of person the ex is, doesnt pay, damages, unreliable

Property Mogul:

Ummm, yes, I would actually, so far so good on my choices about partners, I am a better person for having been fortunate to know them.

The point that our relationship may not have endured has never altered my perception of them as wonderful people, part of the reason I was involved with them from the start. For myself, and Mr Our Obsession, we have no worries on past choices and the regard and respect we have for them.

Our experiences are not yours however, I wish you well on your own choices.

I agree.
I have the same out look on past relationships.

Knowing this person, you have an advantage. Do they pay their bills on time, keep the property in good condition etc?

Back