writing down goals

I was just thinking this morning that I must get a specific notebook to write down my goals with a set timeframe.

Who does this? You have success with it I'm sure. Anyone willing to share to inspire others.

No Goals.

I dont have 'goals'.

I have Priorities
I dont set goals. I set priorities. Priorities actually mandate HOW you act, HOW you conduct business, HOW you evaluate opportunities, HOW you treat your team, HOW you play the game. It is that simple. No goals required. A clear set of rules that you follow, day in day out automatically. This automates the process of achieving things, and makes you a goal-getter, not a goal setter. Be who you have to be, just do it kinda philosophy.

I have a Vision
I can see myself one year from now, five years from now and 30 years from now. Not only can I see it, I can FEEL it. I want to feel GREAT, know that I can achieve my dreams, and how good it feels to do so. I can see the good I can do around me, how good I can make other peoplpe feel, how I can contribute and make a difference. This is how you tune your priorities, this is what provides focus and conviction to act. No goal gives you the same meaning to your journey.

but most importantly ..

I have a Purpose.
Ah you say. I want to be rich, I want to have 80 CF+ properties, I want to retire on 10x the average wage. Passive. But for what? Why? What is the motivation for this? This is your purpose. This is the thing that ties it all together, drives you to learn, to experiment, to try new ideas, to adjust, to research, to debate, to actively LISTEN and THINK. This is what you have dreamt of all your life, your calling, your holy grail. This is the topic all your friends and work mates hate for your constant relentless monologue. It all good to have priorities and a vision ... but this is what the catalyst for action, for change. If you have a purpose, your 'goals' are simply the milestones for achiving your purpose.

IMHO Goals are simply stepping stones, without a purpose you are setting youself up to fail, lose focus, become lazy,disenfranchised,complacent. Without a vision you are not emotionally invovled, you cannot FEEL the reason to commit to action. Without priorities you need to constantly re-evaluate your course of action, you are not being congruent (thanks T.Robbins).

TL.

You make some good points, Tom, but without goals how do you know how well you are proceeding? Goals don't compromise purpose, they give specifics as to how you will achieve it, they are the components to your vision and the markers to tell you whether you need to adjust your priorities.

Wish-ga, ya gotta be kidding me! "I must get a notebook to write down my goals"???? Why are you tapping on the keyboard and not screaming around the house looking for one. Or typing them down and printing out 43 copies to tape to every surface in the house.

Hmm, guess that's 2*2c worth + GST .

quiggles said:
Wish-ga, ya gotta be kidding me! .... tape to every surface in the house.

Quiggles, no need to be rude. Was just trying to prompt discussion and share in a supportive environment.

I do have goals written in a journal and they feature in a scrapbook I keep. In addition I have a pictorial version of one of my goals at my desk and duplicated in my cupboard that I see each day when I open it to get dressed.

What I was saying is that I don't have a specific notebook just for for goals.

wish-ga, type em out on the computer and print em out and keep em where they are in easy reach - in a folder or something. That's what I do. That way when your goals change over time they are easier to sort through and adjust accordingly. If you want some good stuff about goals, read Brian Tracy.

wish-ga
I have over the years had experience in introducing various music programs in the education field. The biggest problem I found was that it did not matter how good the program was, the biggest challenge for teachers was getting it out of it's box and using it.
Unless you are in the habbit of reading from a note book regularly, it may well be a waste of energy writing your goals down in it.
Introduce a habbit of associating your goals with familiar objects in your environment. Example, whenever you do the dishes focus on cleaning up bad debt or when watching tv mute the adds to remind you to never buy retail.
Kind regards
Simon

Hi Wish-ga

Great post! This is actually something I hadnt really thought of....

The closest thing to it is the "vision" that I have each day as I drive the "not so good" university car that I bought and park next door to the Mercedes and BMW's at work and realise that I am not buying the flash car now for later on.

The thought did cross my mind late last year to buy a specific notebook just to record the ideas that I have so that they dont get lost in the wash.

At work, we have to set career goals and they teach us how to frame them using the SMART methodology.

[highlight]S = Specific[/highlight] - Goals must be specific so that they can be

[highlight]M = Measurable[/highlight] - Goals must be framed so that they are capable of being measured against the success of them or not

[highlight]A = Acheivable[/highlight] - Goals must be acheivable so that you have a decent chance of acheiving them. Or they should be a stretch goals so that you have to work pretty hard to acheive them but acheivable nonetheless

[highlight]R = Realistic[/highlight] - Goals must be realistic for the relevant skills and experience that you have or are in the process of obtaining.

[highlight]T = Timeframe[/highlight] - Goals must be framed against a timeframe in which you can acheive them so that you set about making them happen.

I use MS Word in Outline View as I look at my PC every day. I have a file called 'Plan for 2005'.

With headings for -

• Must do Today
  • Must do This Week
  • Must do This month
  • IP stuff to do this year
  • Shares stuff to do this year
  • House Reno stuff to do this year
  • Social stuff to do this year
  • Outdoor stuff to do this year
  • Kids stuff to do this year
  • etc
And under each heading there is a list of items, each with a preface of

• TODO
  • WIP (work in progress)
  • Done
When things get a 'Done' status I move them to the bottom of the section (with a date) so I am constantly reminded of how much I have acheived so far today/this week/month, and how little I've actually got left to do.

I've tried notebooks, PIMs, even MS Project, but keeping it as a simple text file has worked for me.

wish-ga said:
Quiggles, no need to be rude. Was just trying to prompt discussion and share in a supportive environment.

Hiya Wish-ga

I could be wrong, but I think Quiggles was just having a bit of fun :D

Good on you for deciding to make a note of your goals, and even better to alocate a time-frame to them.

I did this roughly three years ago, and whilst some are unfilled due to other changes in life, there are a number that have come to fruition, some ahead of schedule even. :)

Good luck to you!

James.

I wasn't having fun per se, I was sincerely surprised that you'd be typing on a computer and thinking you must get a notebook! But I'm very sorry if I offended you, Wish-ga. As an apology and a response to your thread, this is what I see every morning when I open my wardrobe to get my work shirt out:

"My dream:

Superbob. By day, Superbobis a mild mannered Assistant Secretary in a government department, known and well-liked by staff. He has a strong role in delegating and managing staff, developing and constantly upgrading their and his own skills. He always delivers against outcomes and is known as being highly reliable.

Superbob travels internationally on business about twice a year.

By night, he is a property tycoon. Along with the Empress of O'Connor, Superbob's family income is mainly derived from rents etc rather than his salary. All Australian properties are captial growth oriented and negatively geared (if necessary) but cashflow positive. Cashflow is used to build equity for overseas condominium investments etc. The Empress works the hours she chooses, subject to the demands of the Empire.

The golden stream is a raging torrent.

Despite his two jobs, Superbob still has time for a leisurely social life. He has an extensive, hihg-quality wine cellar and a lovely, well-maintained house. Friends like dropping around. He travels on holiday every year, taking all of his family who wish to come.

He never has any idea what he wants for his birthday."

The dream has changed a bit in the three years since I wrote it, but a lot of it has come true. It is a very useful backmarker - it shows where I came from and what I wanted then. Those bits that have been achieved or dropped are not forgotten, they are cherished - achievements for what I gained, and discards for what I no longer want or need.

On ya Bob

Good on ya Bob,

Not an easy thing to do, exposing your dreams to the masses.

I'm nowhere near brave enough to share my vision with the world but I firmly believe it must be in a prominant position in your house.

You are right. If the dream is only thought about, that is where it stays.

Jeff

wish-ga said:
I was just thinking this morning that I must get a specific notebook to write down my goals with a set timeframe.

Who does this? You have success with it I'm sure. Anyone willing to share to inspire others.

My short and midrange goals are on a scrap of paper on the fridge door.... another highly visited spot.

It's interesting to see the sheets underneath - the oldest one done 7 years ago.

Cheers,

The Y-man

The Y-man said:
My short and midrange goals are on a scrap of paper on the fridge door.... another highly visited spot.

It's interesting to see the sheets underneath - the oldest one done 7 years ago.

Cheers,

The Y-man
Hi Y-man.

Were the goals from 7 years ago achieved?

Regards
Marty

quiggles said:
I wasn't having fun per se, I was sincerely surprised that you'd be typing on a computer and thinking you must get a notebook! But I'm very sorry if I offended you, Wish-ga. As an apology and a response to your thread, this is what I see every morning when I open my wardrobe to get my work shirt out:

"My dream:

Superbob. By day, Superbobis a mild mannered Assistant Secretary in a government department, known and well-liked by staff. He has a strong role in delegating and managing staff, developing and constantly upgrading their and his own skills. He always delivers against outcomes and is known as being highly reliable.

Superbob travels internationally on business about twice a year.

By night, he is a property tycoon. Along with the Empress of O'Connor, Superbob's family income is mainly derived from rents etc rather than his salary. All Australian properties are captial growth oriented and negatively geared (if necessary) but cashflow positive. Cashflow is used to build equity for overseas condominium investments etc. The Empress works the hours she chooses, subject to the demands of the Empire.

The golden stream is a raging torrent.

Despite his two jobs, Superbob still has time for a leisurely social life. He has an extensive, hihg-quality wine cellar and a lovely, well-maintained house. Friends like dropping around. He travels on holiday every year, taking all of his family who wish to come.

He never has any idea what he wants for his birthday."

The dream has changed a bit in the three years since I wrote it, but a lot of it has come true. It is a very useful backmarker - it shows where I came from and what I wanted then. Those bits that have been achieved or dropped are not forgotten, they are cherished - achievements for what I gained, and discards for what I no longer want or need.

Thank you for sharing Quiggles/Bob!

I write out my most important plans and goals on a whiteboard where I can see it everyday, currently using the O P A technique (Outcome Purpose Action) learned from Mr Robins. I have it in view to everyone that walks through my study, so generally when friends drop by they will have a peek and we'll have a chat about it, usually turns into a good disccusion. :)

I am not afraid to show my goals and my plans to the world, some friends who have seen my whiteboard have laughed and scorned me for it. But to be critized just gives me more desire and determination to achieve my goals & dreams, usually what gets them the most is when I ask them what goals they have set themselves this year, more then often they get tounge tied and change the subject. :p

I also love putting random quotes on my wall paper to motivate me when I'm staring at my monitor, much much better then staring at the Idiot Box.(cep when there is sports on of corse)

Cheers!

Plan your funeral...

http://www.refresher.com/!byktime.html

Write out your own eulogy, then work back from there.

Much better explained in the book

kissfan said:
Hi Y-man.

Were the goals from 7 years ago achieved?

Regards
Marty

Yes :) - sort of. It was quite detailed with a vision based on what we knew at the time (i.e. nothing about properties, bit about managed funds, a bit about trusts).

From a net worth perspective - absolutely. From an income perspective, partially, as we would need to convert the capital we have aqcuired into income elements (in a tax effective manner).

Also interestingly, our spending has climbed a bit since those goals were put to paper (where's that budget!!). As our tastes have become a bit more expensive, so the required minimum "living comfortably" income has risen..... :p

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers,

The Y-man

Interesting thread :)

I have written goals/plans/lists of things to do in various places- notebooks, bits of paper etc. I seem to have this habit of writing things down for clarity in numerous school exercise books, which I can never seem to find when I'm anxious to find one!!!

I once read a story about list making, which I thought was great and I (sometimes but not enough) use, usually when I'm motivated.

Some large company wanted to increase their productivity so they hired an expert in time management. His advice was to get everyone in the company to write a list of six specific tasks that they wanted to achieve in a day, not necessarily in order of priority, but to make it a realistic list. At the end of the day, whatever tasks (if any) were left over were to be transferred to the top of the following day's list. This way the workers ensured they got to the bottom of the list, as it's a well known fact that, as humans, we often procrastinate and put off the tasks we really don't want to do.

Thought it might add to this discussion anyway :)
Happy goal achieving all!!

Hi Guys,
interesting discussion and has made me look back on my 45 years of life. Have tried the note book, making list of priorities, pictures on walls etc. I remember making a list of priorites of the things my wife an I wanted to achieve when we moved into PPOR and promptly lost the list. We found it 7 years later and low and behold all priorities were achieved.
Found with note books and such you could become a little disheartend if things get in the way, eg: marriage break up, breakdown, loss of job due to illness etc. I have come to realise that reguardless what the world has thrown my way, I have stayed true to my couple of goals set about 30 years ago. I have a number of Ip's and growing each few months or so, to achieve my goal of not being reliant on a pension so my first goal I can see as attainable. My second is a boat about 15 to 18m long, on my way to work each day I pass a marina & each day I can see it comming closer & closer, I have promised myself that in the next few weeks I am going to stop, hop aboard one of these boats, Have it below my feet, touch it smell it & anything you can do with it. In short I feel if you are truely genuine about your goals you don't need to write them down because you should be living and breathing them every day.
Anyway that is my experiance thus far as I have 10 more years to go.

Thanx for the yime to hear me out
John

Back