Wynnum manly brisbane

What's your thoughts RPI for a similar pricepoint. example best suburbs for 4 bed houses in 680-850k price point in Brisbane that have good schools and future growth prospects

At that price point you have areas that are in the catchments of some top public schools. People move into these areas just so their kids can go to those schools. Cavendish Road State High, Brisbane State High (houses expensive in this catchment), Kelvin Grove State College are 3 I know that people have moved to gain entry for their kids.

Thanks RPI appreciate you sharing your knowledge. What about primary schools in that price range, where do people buy in Brisbane.

Last edited:
Can you recommend any areas in Brisbane with pretty good schools near the water? Thinking of areas like Redcliffe, Scarborough, Thorneside, Birkdale or Wellington point - so far my research seem to be indicating schools in these areas are not too good. Wondering if this is the view of the locals too?
I would have thought these areas to be of a pretty high social economic standard?

private school wise I believe Ormiston college and Sheldon aren't too bad. Someone might know more but obviously not government schools so fees can be expensive.
I ALSO THOUGHT MANLY PRIMARY SCHOOL WAS MEANT TO BE OK.

Also those areas you mentioned not that high a socio economic standard.

Last edited:
Gentrification and Investment

There is some money being spent in the area:

• Multi-million dollar Redevelopment of the Library and the Woolworths (I think I read somewhere it would yield 110 jobs across part/full-time and casuals?)
  • $100M widening of Wynnum Road Corridor Update (turning Lytton Rd to six lanes)
  • Several 5-8 storey apartment blocks have been given the go-ahead, which will include wine bars, restaurants, and rooftop bars

Obviously, there are also some good fundamentals for the area too (20KM from the CBD, closest suburb to the Port of Brisbane, 3 railway stations, huge marina down the road, ripple effect from Manly, and being a destination for families over the weekend around the Esplanade).

Residex also earmarks the suburb as having a higher than rest-of-Brisbane average growth potential.

Was driving around the neighbourhood the other day - noticed what appear to me to be signs of further gentrification with a number of newer houses popping up, as well as a number of old, arguably dilapidated homes which look like prime targets the builders of the new homes are buying and fixing up.

Thanks all for your feedback,
Finrob - your post outlines exactly why the area interests me...
I think onbalance it looks like a promising area with capital gains growth in the coming years with the changes happening there and access to city/proximity to water.

Was driving around the neighbourhood the other day - noticed what appear to me to be signs of further gentrification with a number of newer houses popping up, as well as a number of old, arguably dilapidated homes which look like prime targets the builders of the new homes are buying and fixing up.

I thought I'd share my observations of the suburb from today, police Rush to a house after her partner allegedly may or not have hit her, she was very intoxicated it was 10am in the morning, the house was two house back from the waterfront so one of the better locations in the suburb. He had run off so police scoured the streets for a bit looking for him.Then at 6pm while shopping at Coles watched a 22 year old lady steal biscuits, a cake and bread rolls while her other two friends cracked up laughing saying she a legend as the checkout staff stopped her, she told the staff not f&$kin touch me then she just walked off.

There is a lot of gentification that needs to happen, wynnum won't boom this property cycle IMO. And when all the units go up and aren't sold watch the department of housing get a bulk special Of the developers

Last edited:
I thought I'd share my observations of the suburb from today, police Rush to a house after her partner allegedly may or not have hit her, she was very intoxicated it was 10am in the morning, the house was two house back from the waterfront so one of the better locations in the suburb. He had run off so police scoured the streets for a bit looking for him.Then at 6pm while shopping at Coles watched a 22 year old lady steal biscuits, a cake and bread rolls while her other two friends cracked up laughing saying she a legend as the checkout staff stopped her, she told the staff not f&$kin touch me then she just walked off.

There is a lot of gentification that needs to happen, wynnum won't boom this property cycle IMO. And when all the units go up and aren't sold watch the department of housing get a bulk special Of the developers

that's my general observations as well. The further you are from the CBD, the trash seems to exponentially increase. I fully understand that within BCC is not everyones cup of tea/cannot afford it.
The BCC will see however the strongest and most consistent growth in Brisbane. imo...

that's my general observations as well. The further you are from the CBD, the trash seems to exponentially increase. I fully understand that within BCC is not everyones cup of tea/cannot afford it.
The BCC will see however the strongest and most consistent growth in Brisbane. imo...

I'm not sure if that's what you are saying, but Wynnum/Manly/Lota is in BCC

I thought I'd share my observations of the suburb from today,
So you are not in Sydney?

FWIW I see things like this happen in suburbs close in to the CBD and actually in the CBD as well.
I have also seen things like this happen in most capitals of Australia and most parts of the world I have travelled so I wouldn't be trying to make out it is just a Wynnum problem.

Petty theft & domestic violence are unfortunately rife everywhere...if you're making decisions based on one day's worth of random observations you're probably not doing it right.

I worked and lived in Bulimba (blue ribbon suburb) & used to see that sort of thing all the time. I was walking down the main street 2 weeks ago & saw a bloke almost start a fight with a cyclist while his ~10 yr old daughter watched on. I've seen mentally unstable residents abusing random people, and had an old bloke going for his morning walk shoulder charge (knocked her over) then abuse a female colleague because he wanted the path to himself. If I applied the same rationale to this suburb you'd swear it was a cesspool, rather than somewhere with a $1m median house price.

Wynnum/Manly is still a bit patchy - but in my 8 years of living there:
1. I've never actually seen any theft/violence/anything. The "worst" thing I've witnessed is a few drunk blokes talking loudly in my street once.
2. Have seen the area improving massively over time.

And it's only 13km from the CBD...hardly miles out. Great place to live - I love being near the water & the breezes etc it brings - and if you look at the fundamentals (rather than anecdotes) there's plenty to like about it.

Is there any public housing to be aware of?

No they scattered all through the suburb, but mainly around Drayton, emsworth etc near the station and amything near Wynnum north train station and little shops are full of them. Manly west has a fair few at the back of the fishes estate though, steer clear of that part.

No they scattered all through the suburb, but mainly around Drayton, emsworth etc near the station and amything near Wynnum north train station and little shops are full of them. Manly west has a fair few at the back of the fishes estate though, steer clear of that part.

Hi Ric,
Are you referring to drayton, emsworth st and south of Fishes Estate?

I see new TH down drayton st and emsworth.... are the commission homes slowly but surely dissapearing?

Where are the new 5-8 storey dev going up with the cafes?

Would you stick with a 400sq block or go bigger for future developement/bigger house for med/long term?

Thx all

Can someone give me a background on this area?

Sibley rd to the south hitting Malabar St and west of Wynnum N rd

HC in area?
Ppl around the train station?

The block is big and house has had mini reno and should be able to be leased

Thx

Wynnum West

Technically, I think that puts the property in Wynnum West. That part of town does tend to have lower prices and better yields...though is obviously a reflection of its relative demographic as well as being a bit further from the water.

Again, just check if your place is a flood risk

Back