• None, I'm a scrooge.

Votes: 46 56.8%
  • A framed photo of myself.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Give the tenants a present? YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING!!! :eek: Why would anyone give their tenants a present? I'm already subsidising their living expenses just by living in my properties, why on earth would you want to give them more? Do they run out & say "Oh, I must go get a present for my lovely landlord. If it wasn't for them I couldn't afford to live here." No, all you get is, if you are lucky, your rent paid on time, & if you are not so lucky, NO rent for the Christmas period, because the landlord comes last on the list of priorities. Then you have to play catch up for half the year because the poor little darlings can't possibly afford to pay too much extra each week. Meanwhile, you & your family do it tough over Christmas.:eek: If I could, the present I would give them all is a hefty rent increase.:cool:

Give the tenants a present? YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING!!! No, all you get is, if you are lucky, your rent paid on time, & if you are not so lucky, NO rent for the Christmas period, because the landlord comes last on the list of priorities. Then you have to play catch up for half the year because the poor little darlings can't possibly afford to pay too much extra each week. Meanwhile, you & your family do it tough over Christmas.:eek: If I could, the present I would give them all is a hefty rent increase.:cool:

I've had the exact opposite experience Mr ice....I love my residential tenants.

We signed an agreement last month to extend her lease for another 2 years, starting from Jan next year thru to Jan 2010. We increased her rent from $ 187 up to $ 280 p.w.

Three days ago, she transferred cash into our bank account, fully paying her lease out to Jan 08, increased the amount of the Bond held by us and also paid the first month at the higher rate into the new Lease so she's paid up to the start of Feb.

I think she wanted to get all of the rent impost out of her hair so she could concentrate on Xmas without that hanging over her head. What a top attitude. My faith has been restored.

It was a lovely fillip to receive. I'm thinking of sending her a nice note in appreciation. :)

I was going to give a small voucher, but the current tenant seems to be a bit obstrutionist when it comes to letting tradies in to complete jobs. So in light of this...."no present for you".

Seriously though, it probably sets a bad precedent. As others have already mentioned, it's better to keep it as a business arrangement only.

Phil :D

This is the first christmas I have owned a rental property. I went round yesterday to say hi and dropped off a bunch of flowers and small box of chocolates (total cost around $35) and she was over the moon happy. You would have thought I had given her a week free rent.

For such a small amount of money to keep my tenant happy and enjoying living in the house I am happy to pay it. I believe that a happy tentant is more likely to respect the house and treat it like a home rather then just anoher rental place for them.

I'm with you Sanzy!
A small token of appreciation goes a long way. None of my tenants know about the others, so they each think they are getting my Tenant of the Year Christmas bonus and feel real proud about it.
They look after the place better than if we shared just a strict business relationship and they know that paying the rent on time is a big part of getting their annual bonus, so they are NEVER late.
It's a small investment and it pays BIG dividends.

Rob

Interesting topic.

Wow some interesting posts. I only have two tenants and no I won't be giving anything to them. My managers won't be getting anything either. Why? I suppose my banks don't give me anything so really at the end of the day its business. I did SMS Christmas greetings so that's about 50cents I spent and as they say its the thought that counts. Whether its good or bad to give gifts, I think really depends on the tenants and the landlords relationship with them. If you say your tenants of the year that might mean what of the 50 other properties that the landlord owns I am the best and all I do is pay the rent. Gee not very hard being the best then. It seems you don't lose if you do nothing and you may cause trouble if you do give a gift. Still give a gift if your so inclined. How the tenants receive the gift is their own business. If they don't pay rent then appropriate measures need to be taken. Just as a bank would to you.

We gave our electrician, plumber,carpenter,lawyer,accountant,REA, Mortgage Broker all a box of chocolates.
It is just a token gesture, but they genuinely seem to appreciate it.
We have thought about doing it with our tenants...but we have 26 families.Most of them don't deserve anything.

Wow some interesting posts. I only have two tenants and no I won't be giving anything to them. My managers won't be getting anything either. Why? I suppose my banks don't give me anything so really at the end of the day its business. I did SMS Christmas greetings so that's about 50cents I spent and as they say its the thought that counts. Whether its good or bad to give gifts, I think really depends on the tenants and the landlords relationship with them. It seems you don't lose if you do nothing and you may cause trouble if you do give a gift. Still give a gift if your so inclined. How the tenants receive the gift is their own business. If they don't pay rent then appropriate measures need to be taken. Just as a bank would to you.
I have edited this post as it was a bit harsh. cheers

Back