yay for me.

I have just been nominated by the head lecturer at Central TAFE (Kevin Holtom) for the 2012 John Curtin Undergraduate Scholarship for BAppSc (Arch Science).

basically it's the first 3 years before you do your masters.

i get about a year off for having the Central TAFE Diploma Buidling Design and Tech, which was awarded as a full course RPL (recognition of prior learning).

plus about another year off for my practical experience, as long as i meet course criteria (which i've checked and i do).

which means i could be studying my Masters for Architecture in under a two years part time.

toot! toot!

toot-your-horn-300x2991.jpg

Haha you're probably 10x more successful than your professor at half his age, not sure why you'd want to do this :D

But congrats nonetheless

Your poor misguided fool!

If there is one profession that works longer hours, with more stress, for mostly the most ungrateful of clients at less hourly pay than architects (aside perhaps from combat triage nurses), I'd like to know which one it is.

I work closely with architects in my management position in a natural stone manufacturing and installation company, and to me, for the astonishing range of sales, diplomatic, aesthetic, technical and project management skills that they are required to bring to bear on everything they do every single day, I am genuinely at a loss to understand why the majority of qualified architects (except the principles of highly sought-after architectural firms) continue to do it day in and day out.

I do hope you'll at least be one of the very few who end up getting properly compensated for the extraordinary professionalism that every competent architect exhibits. Which is to say, I hope you end up making more per hour than a lead tradie.

But nonetheless, very well done indeed, Aaron! You've not chosen the easier road by any measure.

Your achievements suggest that this field is very likely 'your calling' though, and I genuinely wish you continuing personal fulfillment throughout your journey. No other occupation I would argue is expected to combine science and art so effortlessly in its results at so much effort to its practitioners. May you always be given the very rare great builders to work with!

I am an architect...I agree with the above, it is difficult to turn a buck in this profession, but it is a rewarding one. That said, getting your systems in place is the key (I'm told!)
Re: doing two years to be qualified....yes the qualification is important, but the training in more important. Two years to learn this complex profession is not enough. they make it 5 for a reason. there is SOOOO much to learn. Then you need to work for a practice for a minimum of 2 years to get registered. I recomend doing as many years ay college as you can stand + find the architect that you most admire and do your damdest to get into thier office.

I am an architect...I agree with the above, it is difficult to turn a buck in this profession, but it is a rewarding one. That said, getting your systems in place is the key (I'm told!)
Re: doing two years to be qualified....yes the qualification is important, but the training in more important. Two years to learn this complex profession is not enough. they make it 5 for a reason. there is SOOOO much to learn. Then you need to work for a practice for a minimum of 2 years to get registered. I recomend doing as many years ay college as you can stand + find the architect that you most admire and do your damdest to get into thier office.

thanks for that!

i've been in the industry since 1999 and run my own design and drafting firm, this degree is "post hoc ergo propter hoc".

i have a fair bit of RPL to bring to the table across resi, comm, mixed use and industrial design.

scholarship papers went in on Thursday apparently....:D

Back