"You are the average of your five closest friends"

Hi all,

I recently read a article newspaper article about a man called Sam Cawthorn, he says (and its not the first time I have read it) that you are the average of your five closet friends. Which leads into my question which I'm sure if you are read this you know where I'm going.

I have mates that I've had for ages, good blokes that would give you a kidney if you needed it. But they aren't going anywhere, they don't have any dreams or ambitions. I know it sounds harsh but I want to succeed as a investor and feel that if this statement is true, which I know it is, I feel like ill always be held back.

Hs anyone got advice? I live in dubbo during the week for work and come back to Sydney on weekends where my mates are.

Has anyone else had issues similar and how did they overcome them?! Or 'bounce forward'

Cheers

Don't worry about generalist theories. Hang out with you mates and have fun, Involve yourself in the forum for more investing knowledge and inspiration, Join some professional groups to keep your career going, and keep investing. I think this will tick all the boxes on the test you are trying to complete.

I would rather have 5 good mates who are broke rather than 5 mates based purely on wealth, career or other pointless considerations.

Don't worry about generalist theories. Hang out with you mates and have fun, Involve yourself in the forum for more investing knowledge and inspiration, Join some professional groups to keep your career going, and keep investing. I think this will tick all the boxes on the test you are trying to complete.

I would rather have 5 good mates who are broke rather than 5 mates based purely on wealth, career or other pointless considerations.

...and thread closed!

pinkboy

I'm best off financially out of all my close friends or possibly equal to one, ranging down to close to bankrupt. I love my friends family qualities and friendship. I wouldn't swap it! I think being part of a forum or networking is good.

Good friends are hard to find ,especially the ones that you say would give you a kidney if you needed it.

Why can't you keep your old friends and make some new friends that share your ambitions and will bring you up to a higher level.

You can still remain good friends with your old friends but if they are not on the same financial path as you then accept them for who they are.....great mates !

I know a lot of my friends and aquaintances do not share my goals but they are worth their weight in gold. Although the discussions are different depending on which circle of friends I am with I enjoy all of my friends just the way they are and I am constantly learning from all of my friends - everyone has something that they are really good at.

Keep it balanced....have your new mates to help you grow as a person and you're old mates to have fun with.

You never know you might just be the inspiration for your old mates to try something new when they start seeing some changes in you !:D

Think about the statement logically for a moment and you will see it can not possibly be true as a general rule applicable to all.

Good advice.

My 5 best friends would have wealth well below mine, however they are great friends and we always have a good time together, so I certainly won't be ditching them for wealthier friends. I just keep my financials separate from close friends / family and only discuss then with other investors such as those on this forum.

Your friends will change over time as your life changes

Our closest friends and most of our families would also fall into that category but we have acquaintances and relatives that are reasonably wealthy.

Keep your friends as long as they are decent, drop the drop kicks IMHO.

Over the last 3 weeks we have had 3 wealthy visitors Ring up and come and visit us while we house sit (2 acquaintances and 1 distance relative and her hubby) all of these people would have wealth in excess of 5 million plus assets on top of that.

I figure we are decent people and they love coming and chewing the fat with us and telling us what they have been doing wheeling and dealing, all are over 60 years of age.

Suggest you spend some time networking with like minded people and SS is a good starting point.

Tomorrow night I will go to the Gold Coast SS monthly dinner that Player organises, it is a 2 hour drive to get there but I try to stay overnight with a friend or drive on up to Brissie and stay with our son.

BTW
One friend came into a million dollar windfall unexpected and he doesn't know what to do with it, he has given a small donation to the local coast guard. Friend is so disappointed with son's lack of work ethic that he is thinking long and hard about whether he will pay off the son's house loan (mind you he brought the block of land and car etc for his son).

Sheryn

Keep your old friends as they are friends for a reason. I have many friends that don't invest. We meet regularly and have great fun. But my investments very rarely come up. Even if they do its one question and nothing further.

It is an advantage though, having friends that invest. So I suggest also making some new investor friends. I've met some great people on this forum and at seminars that have become friends. We meet and talk about investments (as well as other things).

Have plenty of friends and acquaintances up and down the wealth scale. Whether they're investors or not, it's more attitude that's more important. If they're happy with their lot in life and just plodding along that's fine. Only time I've ever cut "friends" was when they tried bludging off myself or govt, or are constant whingers about their lives but don't want to do anything about it (no matter how many opportunities you give them or assist them with).

Hi all,

I recently read a article newspaper article about a man called Sam Cawthorn, he says (and its not the first time I have read it) that you are the average of your five closet friends. Which leads into my question which I'm sure if you are read this you know where I'm going.

It's 5 friends you spend most time with. Not closest friends.

I have a mate who is like my brother. I rarely see him, different aims and ambitions, but he is family. I spend a lot of time with investors, usually not talking about investing, more motivation and ideas.

Easy to say and agree with on principle. But in reality, I would not wish to have 5 broke mates. What activities could you do? You would have to fund them with your largesse. Your attributes and attitude must be different if you are loaded and your five mates are broke. Envy, jealousy would set in. Best to have mates of similar stature and interests.

Easy to say and agree with on principle. But in reality, I would not wish to have 5 broke mates. What activities could you do? You would have to fund them with your largesse. Your attributes and attitude must be different if you are loaded and your five mates are broke. Envy, jealousy would set in. Best to have mates of similar stature and interests.

Always so narrow minded.

This is the second trolling post of yours today! You're losing not only street cred with this one, but respect as well! You're off the mark with this one.

pinkboy

Hi all,

I know it sounds harsh but I want to succeed as a investor and feel that if this statement is true, which I know it is, I feel like ill always be held back.

Hs anyone got advice? I live in dubbo during the week for work and come back to Sydney on weekends where my mates are.

Cheers
The only one to worry about is the one you wake up too at 4 in the morning,because that were it all starts,what your mates do is not important in a free country you can do what ever you want..

There a quote I sometimes use on my daughters "SUCCESS IS A STATE OF MIND",I read it in this site a long time ago,say it 5 times a day..

I have three circle of friends.
1. High school circle
2. Uni circle
3. Tennis circle

I assume many people have similar set of friends.

How can ever this be indicative of our financial status?

I have three circle of friends.
1. High school circle
2. Uni circle
3. Tennis circle

I assume many people have similar set of friends.

How can ever this be indicative of our financial status?

I am similar. My high school friends don't tend to be that successful (financially) but they are still great mates. University friends are very different as to be expected as you mix with a different cohort.

Back