"You are the average of your five closest friends"

I have a mix... but from oringal group of friend varies from friend who is married and can't afford to catch up for beers at the pub, to another who a 'trust fund kid' who borrows his dads Rolls Royce Phantom on the weekend.

One thing I don't have is close friends that are into property and I like it this way.

Could not imagine anything more boring, as I expect that's all we would talk about, not to mention how competitive it could get.

He stole that saying and Idea from the late Jim Rohn. Plenty of his stuff is free on the net. Jim Rohn was the guy who mentored Tony Robbins. Definitely worth a listen.

Hi all,

I recently read a article newspaper article about a man called Sam Cawthorn, he says (and its not the first time I have read it) that you are the average of your five closet friends. Which leads into my question which I'm sure if you are read this you know where I'm going.

I have mates that I've had for ages, good blokes that would give you a kidney if you needed it. But they aren't going anywhere, they don't have any dreams or ambitions. I know it sounds harsh but I want to succeed as a investor and feel that if this statement is true, which I know it is, I feel like ill always be held back.

Hs anyone got advice? I live in dubbo during the week for work and come back to Sydney on weekends where my mates are.

Has anyone else had issues similar and how did they overcome them?! Or 'bounce forward'

Cheers

Well the author's five closest friends must've been journalists. High flying indeed.

Ignore the advice , hang out with your friends .

Do your investing . Maybe even chat to them about it . If there's a blank stare back , then bag out manly and say that Brett Stewart should be put out to pasture . You may find with time you drift away from them , but don't change your friends just because some expert says you should.

There are some gurus who promote wealth retreats as a way to meet like minded people .

If that's the way you want to go I have a much easier and cheeper solution .

Hang out here and go to the social gatherings. There , you will meet people who like you , like investing and hanging around Internet forums , so you will have at least two things in common :D .

If there's not a local social gathering . Organise one .

Cliff

Tony Robbins covers this topic quite well in a few minutes. It is basically how people usually try to 'change' themselves superficially, but by 'transforming' yourself instead you can maintain a three-dimensional you that can accommodate all types of friends with different interests.

I will mention though, different experiences will shape you, and I somewhat agree with China though not in it's entirety. You will gravitate towards people with similar interests, and ability to keep up with your lifestyle. Some friends just seem to drift away over time, others more abruptly (I have lost friends since I started improving my financial situation, due to one or two in the group starting nasty very-untrue rumours), yet have since met some amazing personalities I'm fortunate to call mates.

I read once (possibly on this site) that your life partner tends to only deviate about 5% from where you are at. Education/Financially/Family background. Don't know how it applies as I'm not the long term relationship guy as yet, but I found it an interesting observation.

It's not true. It is rubbish. It doesn't pass the slightest bit of intellectual rigour.

Enjoy your mates.

How so? If you have family or friends who are opposed to certain achievements, most people would be too afraid of being ostracized or feeling excluded and would just put their goals in the too hard pile.

Would it be inaccurate to say, that if you are surrounded by high achievers, you may be more inclined to try to achieve, and just as likely if you are surrounded by junkies, you may be more open to 'trying it out'?

I tend to find once you 'accept' something as being okay, a bad behavior per se, you open yourself up to being at first comfortable with it, and eventually embracing it.

It would be a part of the nature/nurture argument.

How so? If you have family or friends who are opposed to certain achievements, most people would be too afraid of being ostracized or feeling excluded and would just put their goals in the too hard pile.

Would it be inaccurate to say, that if you are surrounded by high achievers, you may be more inclined to try to achieve, and just as likely if you are surrounded by junkies, you may be more open to 'trying it out'?

I tend to find once you 'accept' something as being okay, a bad behavior per se, you open yourself up to being at first comfortable with it, and eventually embracing it.

It would be a part of the nature/nurture argument.

But the question is not about whether to try some drugs :confused:

That comment is just a bit silly as some sort of argument about choosing friends IMO.

I have very few close friends. I could count them on the fingers of one hand. We have things in common, children, school, kindy, similar morals and life experiences etc. But mostly it is having met through our children, clicked, and kept in touch. It has nothing to do with investing, and this is something we hardly touch on.

But the question is not about whether to try some drugs :confused:

That comment is just a bit silly as some sort of argument about choosing friends IMO.

I have very few close friends. I could count them on the fingers of one hand. We have things in common, children, school, kindy, similar morals and life experiences etc. But mostly it is having met through our children, clicked, and kept in touch. It has nothing to do with investing, and this is something we hardly touch on.

Just making a point that it is about connection. As stated before, my closest friends are actually financially unstable, but through the years I know these are the guys that will always have my back.

The friends I spend the most time with are the ones I have a lot in common with, I go overseas, scuba dive amd rock climb with. My closest mates can't come on these trips. I use to shout them, but now we just have dinner at each others houses. There is a good chance if everyone around you is buying IP's and chances are you are in similar income levels you would also look at IPs, probably without a strategy, but still.

I know the reason I'm on somersoft is to meet like minded people, a few of who I see every few weeks.

"You are the average of your five closest friends"

This maybe an update on the old saying that you are a product of your environment?

If you ever get a chance Wiggins, read James Allen's work ("As A Man Thinketh", 1902)

thanks for the replies and advice!

im starting out on this journey and want to make a real go of it.. so all advice is helpful atm especially when it comes from people who have gone down this path!!

i have been reading the books and speaking to a few BAs, im finally over my analysis peristalsis and ready to move forward.. the last two deals would have put me to the wall if i took them and from listening to my mates telling me i shouldn't take these risks did worry me ie the quote above.

So i thought id ask people already on there way or who have achieved their goals.

See Change, thanks for all your replies even on other threads, in realtion to Brett Stuart i did mention it, the conversation moved to souths straight away and how they keep loosing atm as a 'greg' is injured or something?! (I love the English Premier League and English football, not a NRL fan) so maybe they kinda pass your litmus test?!?! kind of....... Maybe?!

Ha! I'm easily the poorest of my friends. I would bring down their average a lot. Mind you, only two of them made their own money, the rest married it.

One thing I don't have is close friends that are into property and I like it this way.

Could not imagine anything more boring, as I expect that's all we would talk about, not to mention how competitive it could get.

It doesn't have to be that way though.

The 3 people I see most frequently - closest friend, bro (and SIL) and cousin all have net assets valued at 3M+, 3M+ and around 1.5M but we talk very little about property apart from the close friend but that's more related to the day to day running of her business in serviced apartments - speak to each of these people about twice a week each.

I know everything there is to know about each of their purchases, values, income, etc. because everytime there is a new development/purchase or we need to bounce off an idea, need advice we discuss things but otherwise all those people inc. myself prefer to talk about other things going on in our lives.

That's the way all of us like it.

Hi all,

I recently read a article newspaper article about a man called Sam Cawthorn, he says (and its not the first time I have read it) that you are the average of your five closet friends. Which leads into my question which I'm sure if you are read this you know where I'm going.

I have mates that I've had for ages, good blokes that would give you a kidney if you needed it. But they aren't going anywhere, they don't have any dreams or ambitions. I know it sounds harsh but I want to succeed as a investor and feel that if this statement is true, which I know it is, I feel like ill always be held back.

Hs anyone got advice? I live in dubbo during the week for work and come back to Sydney on weekends where my mates are.

Has anyone else had issues similar and how did they overcome them?! Or 'bounce forward'

Cheers

i talk to myself a lot.

sometimes i'm the only good conversation in the room.

insert conceited comment.......now.

I believe it doesn't matter how much money your friends have its about their attitude. I don't care if friends have money or not, if they are negative 'poor me' type people I can't hang around them long. Negative people bring you down so quickly.

I believe it doesn't matter how much money your friends have its about their attitude. I don't care if friends have money or not, if they are negative 'poor me' type people I can't hang around them long. Negative people bring you down so quickly.

Exactly! Hang out with mates you have fun with that generally have a positive attitude towards life. If you share similar interests that's nice too.

Back