You become what you think about most

This is a line from "Think and Grow Rich" by Napoleon Hill.

Further to that; I just made a post on the R.K thread, and it prompted me to reflect on our investing journey so far - since 2000 as a conscious, active investor (had properties before this but not for investment).

I've read all R.K's books several times each, and one of the things that stuck in my head was Rich Dad's progression from accidental business owner at a young age to multi-business owner and wealthy investor (who cares if it's true or not - great story nonetheless).

I've always liked the idea of never having to work, owning investments and businesses that produce this result, so as an ex-business owner, this was an easy mindset for me to follow; I'd just never thought to do it until after reading the books.

So, ever since then, there has been this little seed of thought going on in the back of the mind about this direction.

Today I find myself, some 9 years later, on the brink of achieving this - not having to work and following in the steps of the Rich Dad as a business owner and investor (much smaller scale at this stage).

It hasn't been a fanatical race, or high-risk journey; just a steady, progression (occasionally a wish to get there much sooner) towards that end. The jouney will continue for a good while yet though.

So, the realisation for me is; you will become what you think about most. Without realising it, you will head in the direction of your thoughts.

Aptly, as this is in investor psychology, it becomes important - for our journey to be successful - to put the correct thoughts into our brain.

What have your thoughts been in say; the last 5 years?

Like you I have learned that you can train yourself to whatever you wish if prepared to put in the hard yards that come with it....and the planning and goal setting etc.

.....last 5 years though I am thinking more and more about mortality and the role it plays in the great "balance" debate in life...you know smell the roses along the way...:D

Seeing way too many folks checking out early from cancer and other stress related diseases and they are usually the go getter type all work no play to achieve that big pot on retirement....:eek:

I question...what if you don't make it to retirement...? What have you done along the way that could have you maybe "die happy" if you don't go the full term.....?

Of course you don't blow it all away and leave nothing for the twilight years, but there is alot of living inbetween to be done....stuff that you can only do at a younger age/level of fitness etc.

It's a difficult balance but we do make sure we have a life along the way just incase we are called away early....not morbid, practical I think...;)

I better stop thinking about hot chicks, because i might become one... :D

On serious note, its the universe working in your direction.

The world stands aside for the person who knows where they are going.

It's about planning & executing the plan.
Those with the longer term plan generally come out better than those with the shorter.
Just as those who incorporate flexibility and plan for various scenarios & conditions.

I better stop thinking about hot chicks, because i might become one... :D

On serious note, its the universe working in your direction.

The world stands aside for the person who knows where they are going.

Nathan,

You know the "link" to your website is a dud, don't you?

And if you think about million-dollar leafy Eastern suburbs houses long enough, and think about making a million from writing a book long enough, and think about being filthy rich and invited on talk shows long enough, it'll happen? I'm inclined to differ here ... you need to put some effort into it along the way ...

Thoughts are things. What we focus on most of the time expands into our reality, good or bad, positive or negative.

If we feed the subcounscious negative thoughts, the processes will ensue to push us towards taking the actions of achieving the disempowering outcome. If we feed it positive and uplifting thoughts then a more empowering outcome is likely. We need to be specific with the instructions we feed it and treat it as a five year old child. Be very specific with instructions. It cannot delineate between good or bad, positive or negative.....hence the axiom of focusing on what you want, not what you don't want. The subconscious does not process negative, so the imbedded command will be what we don't desire and more of the unwanted thing/outcome will manifest.

The RAS (reticular activating system) has something to do with this. It's like our sat-nav. Once we focus on a desired outcome, it's as if the universe conspires to deliver, however as fluffy as that sounds, it is our attention to the outcome that prompts our internal sat-nav to steer us toward the activities or people or things that may help us achieve our goal.

After a while (repeatedly focusing on the desired outcome) it becomes second nature and the gut/intuition takes over as a kind of shortcut on the desktop to the hard drive, which effortlessly processes our most held thoughts and leads us to take the actions we need to so as to accomplish our desired outcome(s).

Last edited:
..........huh? :confused:

After a while (repeatedly focusing on the desired outcome) it becomes second nature and the gut/intuition takes over as a kind of shortcut on the desktop to the hard drive, which effortlessly processes our most held thoughts and leads us to take the actions we need to so as to accomplish our desired outcome(s).

I thought we just do stuff and get wealthy.

The seed to your action and achieving was a thought

..........huh? :confused:

I thought we just do stuff and get wealthy.

You might ;). The masses focus on happy hour and wonder why their life stinks. At some point you thought about what you wanted and held that though and went and did it (took action) to give you your success. :)

True. Maybe the thought process happens without me knowing it.
I'm a pretty simple guy.

You might ;). The masses focus on happy hour and wonder why their life stinks. At some point you thought about what you wanted and held that though and went and did it (took action) to give you your success. :)

I don't know who I am quoting here, but I think it is universally true:

Sow a thought, reap an action
Sow an action, reap a habit
Sow a habit, reap a lifestyle

If we feed the subcounscious negative thoughts, the processes will ensue to push us towards taking the actions of achieving the disempowering outcome. If we feed it positive and uplifting thoughts then a more empowering outcome is likely.
That's a very verbose way of saying it :)

The negative outcome is more common among your average joe, not because thinking negative pushes us towards taking the actions of achieving the disempowering outcome, more that the negative thinking stops you from taking the actions of the empowering one.

It goes back to that mental illness thread that is active at the moment - negative thinkers will complain no end that something isn't going their way but they won't lift a finger to change it. They'll go out of their way to *not* do anything that could give a positive outcome.

You can still whinge and be a positive thinker. If something is blocking you for whatever reason (council etc) there's nothing wrong with ranting and complaining about it, as long as you're still off trying to resolve your block and continue on your way (eg, deciding you talked to the wrong council person last time and trying to get the right one). You get stuck if you just accept a block as a permanent, immovable end of the road and not something that can be worked around with a bit of creative thinking.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I don't know who I am quoting here, but I think it is universally true:

Sow a thought, reap an action
Sow an action, reap a habit
Sow a habit, reap a lifestyle

"Sow a thought and you reap an action; sow an act and you reap a habit; sow a habit and you reap a character; sow a character and you reap a destiny."

Emerson, Ralph Waldo

And if you think about million-dollar leafy Eastern suburbs houses long enough, and think about making a million from writing a book long enough, and think about being filthy rich and invited on talk shows long enough, it'll happen? I'm inclined to differ here ... you need to put some effort into it along the way ...

Totally agree.

I didn't go into enough detail in my first post about this bit.

What I've realised - on reflection - was that unconsciously I started to look for the actions that would move me in the correct direction.

For example; before the investing mindset kicked in, I was happy enough to have a decent house, a decent car and enough funds to pay off the loans, reduce the debt steadily, buy a few items and be able to go on hols every now and then.

Then after the investing mindset kicked in, I spent lots of time looking for investment books - never looked at one before this.

Went to a few seminars, learned about better money management and budgeting (for investing purposes).

Suddenly there was an emphasis on trying to allocate more dollars towards the IP's rather than the next car or holiday. Not consiously - but it became a major shift in thinking patterns.

Then of course; you start spending more free time looking at propsective investing areas and IP's for sale instead of going to the pub or playing golf.

And so on.

Then of course; you start spending more free time looking at propsective investing areas and IP's for sale instead of going to the pub or playing golf.

And so on...

Until you get really good at it, and then you can spend as much time down the pub or the golf course as you so please.

"Sow a thought and you reap an action; sow an act and you reap a habit; sow a habit and you reap a character; sow a character and you reap a destiny."Emerson, Ralph Waldo

Thanks Player..........I think I have sufficiently changed the wording to now claim what I wrote as "my quote" ;)

You become what you think about most

What about all the business men who've worked for decades only to go bankrupt?

IMO, it is like any activity, the more you focus and work on it, the better you get. However, market forces can change your industry any time.

Another example is. Looking good. If I think about it all the time, will it change anything? Nope. I have to go out, put in the work, exercise, get on a diet, get plastic surgery, etc. After a period of time, I might start looking good.

After a period of time, I might start looking good.

To quote myself......or Winston Churchill (as Player would want me to)
Bessie Braddock: Sir, you are drunk.
Churchill: And you, madam, are ugly. But in the morning, I shall be sober.

(no offence intended cloudyday - it just sprang to mind)

I also like what Ralph Waldo Emerson said:
In later life he forgot his own name at times and, when anyone asked how he felt, he responded, "Quite well; I have lost my mental faculties, but am perfectly well".

Back