You become what you think about most

What about all the business men who've worked for decades only to go bankrupt?

IMO, it is like any activity, the more you focus and work on it, the better you get. However, market forces can change your industry any time.

Look, I think everyone gets the drift with this one.

I'm trying to do you guys a favour here.

I never said that things won't go wrong; my point is that if you set your thoughts in the right direction, your actions will follow your thoughts and propel you towards your intended goal.

Sorry I bloody mentioned it.

Don't be sorry BV, this is a good thread.

Of course things can go wrong and "stuff happens" however thoughts are the precursor to an action.

Eevrything in life starts as a thought....WE are the THINKER of our thoughts and our brain is the processor. Thoughts get processed into action (good or bad; positive or negative). Then our actions create our results.

When "stuff" occurs (beyond our initial control) as human beings we have a choice as to how we respond. We can react and give up (accept failure) or we can gain the ability to respond by changing our level of thinking, seeking the knowledge to overcome it and creating a new train of thought to adapt to the challenge.

A baby doesn't give up on the notion of walking after many failed atempts because they see it as possible in somebody elses reality. Children don't understand the concept of failure until we adults introduce it as an option.

Cloudyday has a point in that most people know what they should be doing but don't actually do (act upon) what they know. That comes back to beliefs, paradigms (habits), self worth/esteem, etc., etc. The thought alone won't necessarily achieve without action and the latter relies upon motivation to achieve.

Any change that we desire to bring into our reality however will have been a thought at some point. The reason why we sometimes fail to attract or achieve that outcome/change we desire is due to lack of perseverence despite set backs or obstacles..............that's why many people tip toe through life to arrive safely at their grave.

While reading this thread I rememberd that a book exists, The Power of Positive Thinking. I've never read it nor wanted to, but thought it would be interesting to see if the author of such a book achieved great success. It is not unreasonable to have high expectations, in the same way you expect any other spruiker to have a personal track record above average.

He is [was?] Norman Vincent Peale, and his success, according to Wiki was limited to authoring "inspirational" books and pentecostal preaching. [At this point it is OK to test that against your definition of a fraud or shyster.] Personally, I prefer being a pragmatic old grouch. That way I don't disappoint anyone and it allows me some time to relax with a beer.

Interesting stuff. Personally, I know being positive is a pre-requisite to success but the more important factor is the HOW.

For example, I can't properly convince myself that I can walk on water (without being towed along by a boat at about 40 knots! :p) because I just don't know HOW. If I did know HOW then I could legitimately have that belief.

I can on the other hand, focus my thoughts on buying that next IP because I do know HOW! I have done it before and this forum, in certain isolated instances, gives me a lot of useful information to tell me HOW. Once I have the road mapped out I can legitimately have a positive belief on how to get there.

If I chose to focus myself on a pathway of achieving a net worth of $100m, while being an unemployed pensioner with zero assets, then I would have trouble with that belief because I would just know I was "off with the fairies".

However, if I had previously achieved that net worth, prior to having it all wiped out and becoming an unemployed pensioner with zero assets, then I could legitimately believe in my ability to get back there again as I would have a very good idea HOW to do it.

A bit like Alan Bond really!

That's where this forum really shines - not so much for the motivational and inspirational stuff but for the nitty gritty that throws a bit of dim light on the path in front and gives you enough confidence that it can be done and HOW to go about doing it...

I think that is why people react "negatively when introducd to the subject- how ? if I just think about retiring in 10 yrs, will it just happen ? I dont know here to start ?of course Id like to retire rich etc etc, who wouldn't........

But I thin that ties into more specific areas/things: become rich trading shreas: HOW ?!?! become rich flipping whouses: how ???

But, the process started before that... Thee very fact that you may be contemplating "HOW??????!",, means you are thinking about it.... NOw if that sonly cause someone mentioned it,and you reacted and have no further interest in the topic, then it wont go anywhere.. But, if you get a sense of curiosity, you might find things and people of interest around you....

CabSav lubed thoughts here...............

If thinking is all it is cracked up to be, let's get scientific...and........build three terminator cyborgs......

Terminator 1 has Zig Ziglar's head.....but just had his head separated from his body by a rogue terminator series II......

Terminator 2 thinks, has two perfectly operating arms and legs....but has his head in Hamlet......
"To be, or not to be: that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep;
No more; and by a sleep to say we end
The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks
That flesh is heir to, 'tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wish'd. To die, to sleep;
To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub;
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
Must give us pause: there's the respect
That makes calamity of so long life;
For who would bear the whips and scorns of time,
The oppressor's wrong, the proud man's contumely,
The pangs of despised love, the law's delay,
The insolence of office and the spurns.

That patient merit of the unworthy takes,
When he himself might his quietus make
With a bare bodkin? who would fardels bear,
To grunt and sweat under a weary life,
But that the dread of something after death,
The undiscover'd country from whose bourn
No traveller returns, puzzles the will
And makes us rather bear those ills we have
Than fly to others that we know not of?
Thus conscience does make cowards of us all;
And thus the native hue of resolution
Is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought,
And enterprises of great pith and moment
With this regard their currents turn awry,
And lose the name of action. - Soft you now!
The fair Ophelia! Nymph, in thy orisons
Be all my sins remember'd.
.............."

Terminator 3 thinks, moves, and is highly motivated to achieve one thing......kill Sarah Connors....

Which one becomes what it thinks?????

CabSav lubed thoughts here...............

If thinking is all it is cracked up to be, let's get scientific...and........build three terminator cyborgs......

Terminator 1 has Zig Ziglar's head.....but just had his head separated from his body by a rogue terminator series II......

Terminator 2 thinks, has two perfectly operating arms and legs....but has his head in Hamlet......
"To be, or not to be: that is the question:

Terminator 3 thinks, moves, and is highly motivated to achieve one thing......kill Sarah Connors....

Which one becomes what it thinks?????

More wine! :D

Cab Sav is deep indeed :D

From one of my favourite books, James Allen, in his book, "As A Man Thinketh", said;

A man's mind may be likened to a garden, which may be intelligently cultivated or allowed to run wild; but whether cultivated or neglected, it must, and will, bring forth. If no useful seeds are put into it, then an abundance of useless weed seeds will fall therein, and will continue to produce their kind.

Just as a gardener cultivates his plot, keeping it free from weeds, and growing the flowers and fruits which he requires, so may a man tend the garden of his mind, weeding out all the wrong, useless, and impure thoughts, and cultivating toward perfection the flowers and fruits of right, useful, and pure thoughts, By pursuing this process, a man sooner or later discovers that he is the master gardener of his soul, the director of his life. He also reveals, within himself, the laws of thought, and understands with ever-increasing accuracy, how the thought forces and mind elements operate in the shaping of his character, circumstances, and destiny.

So, the realisation for me is; you will become what you think about most. Without realising it, you will head in the direction of your thoughts.
Congratulations you've discovered cognitive behavioral therapy, the most "popular" psychotherapy.

People have an "internal dialog", what people generally call "thinking", the series of thoughts you have througout the day.
Sometimes these thoughs can be intrusive (eg reacalling an horrific accident), at other times they are used to solve problems.

You CAN take control of your inner dialog and change your thought patterns by CBT.

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalhealthinfoforall/treatments/cbt.aspx
How does it work?
CBT can help you to make sense of overwhelming problems by breaking them down into smaller parts. This makes it easier to see how they are connected and how they affect you. These parts are:

* A Situation - a problem, event or difficult situation
From this can follow:
* Thoughts
* Emotions
* Physical feelings
* Actions

Each of these areas can affect the others. How you think about a problem can affect how you feel physically and emotionally. It can also alter what you do about it. There are helpful and unhelpful ways of reacting to most situations, depending on how you think about them.

For example:

Situation: You've had a bad day, feel fed up, so go out shopping. As you walk down the road, someone you know walks by and, apparently, ignores you.

Unhelpful

Helpful
Thoughts: He/she ignored me - they don't like me He/she looks a bit wrapped up in themselves - I wonder if there's something wrong?

Emotional:
Feelings Low, sad and rejected Concerned for the other person
Physical: Stomach cramps, low energy, feel sick None - feel comfortable

Action: Go home and avoid them Get in touch to make sure they're OK

Interesting stuff. Personally, I know being positive is a pre-requisite to success but the more important factor is the HOW.
Congratulations you've discovered positive psychology, the science of being happy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positive_psychology

Research has shown that factors mediating success are IQ and emotional intelligence.
http://www.sq.4mg.com/w_ambition.htm#z

Using Sloan's model, emotional intelligence can be broken down into
1. Social skills/sociability/likability (NOT popularity)
eg general happiness; percieved intelligence; grade point average (in high school); athletic ability; liking people; upbeat, positive attitude; number of my smiles per day; verbal skills; sense of humor; courtesy shown to others; success in activities; leadship; physical attractiveness
2. Self Skills
eg ambition, honesty, adaptability, zeal, punctuality, self-motivation, availability, experience

Theres a saying that goes something like: One gram of action is worth a kilogram of thought"

I follow this rule. Just do stuff.....dont think too much...dont over analyse....just do something....preferably something big.

I have a friend who is a multimillionaire. Kicked out of school in yr 9, started spraying cars in his backyard. Never had an employer, never had tertiary education. If he doesnt understand something, he pays someone that does.

He had the opportunity to buy a bobcat cheaply at about 20 yo, got involved in excavation/earthmoving, one thing led to another and my god has he got some money.....and property. Has had since his mid-late 20's. He is now in his late 30s.

He doesnt think too much, he's not the sharpest knife in the draw, he just does lots of stuff that makes money.

So, dont value thought and all this psycho babble/motivational stuff too much guys. Just do it.

Last edited:
Its all in what you believe & how much you believe it

I have a mate who broke his back. The first time while surfing in NZ. Then again a few years later when a cliff he was standing on gave way & crumbled into the ocean in Aus. He was lucky not to drown.

The second time he was in a very bad way in hospital on his back in traction. Staff around him didn’t know if he would walk again. On top of that his wife was just about to give birth.

I asked him if he wanted some positive self help material to help him with the mental side of what he was going through. He replied “I don’t need that ****”.

He then told me how he had been in a lot of pain a year after his 1st accident. The pain killing drugs were knocking him around. He had gone to a faith healer that had told him to believe that “your body will heal its self”. And he did & it worked. It fixed the pain.

Using the same belief, much to the disbelief of the medical staff, he walked out of that hospital 6 weeks after his second broken back.

Its all in what you believe & how much you believe it.

Philip

Congratulations you've discovered positive psychology, the science of being happy.

Thank you, I think? :confused:

Unfortunately I must have already spent too long in my uni days listening to lectures and reading books about Maslow, McGregor, Daniel Goleman, Emotional Intelligence, Positive Psychology etc etc. All great interesting stuff if you're into it but not particularly helpful for creating wealth IMHO, particularly if left on its own...

In any case, you may find the definition of "success" in most of those studies usually relates to career goals - in other words being a good little employee for someone. The likes of the Packers and the Murdochs wouldn't rate a mention, especially as some of them make spectacular failures when they do take a job... :rolleyes:

The best social and self skills won't get you anywhere without someone showing you the way and then you making your own journey. I agree with evand - there is so much more to be gained in a month of doing than decades of spectating.

And those that don't have any social or self skills but just concentrate on the doing will always be in front of those who are the other way around...

There is a scientific concept called neuroplacticity which has quite a bit of evidence to show that 'thinking' can actually change the structure of the brain .. and is hence why and how CBT and other psychotherapies probably works. Very interesting and readable book called "The Brain that Changes itself" by Norman Doidge. If anyone is interested.

So ... looks like there is some truth in the whole positive thinking thing afterall!:):)

....which just happens to be one of my favorite things

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favorite things
.....and brains

I second Melinda's reference of Norman Doidge's book:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/29/health/29book.html?_r=1

Caught him today on radio, I think he (N D) is appearing in Melbourne...interesting information/learning/discussions.

His site: http://www.normandoidge.com/normandoidge/MAIN.html

from it:

THE NEW YORK TIMES:

“The power of positive thinking finally gains scientific credibility. Mind-bending, miracle-making, reality-busting stuff...with implications for all human beings, not to mention human culture, human learning and human history"

I have a mate who broke his back. The first time while surfing in NZ. Then again a few years later when a cliff he was standing on gave way & crumbled into the ocean in Aus. He was lucky not to drown.

The second time he was in a very bad way in hospital on his back in traction. Staff around him didn’t know if he would walk again. On top of that his wife was just about to give birth.

I asked him if he wanted some positive self help material to help him with the mental side of what he was going through. He replied “I don’t need that ****”.

He then told me how he had been in a lot of pain a year after his 1st accident. The pain killing drugs were knocking him around. He had gone to a faith healer that had told him to believe that “your body will heal its self”. And he did & it worked. It fixed the pain.

Using the same belief, much to the disbelief of the medical staff, he walked out of that hospital 6 weeks after his second broken back.

Its all in what you believe & how much you believe it.

Philip

Fantastic stuff!

Conversely, while reading this post, it reminded me of a friend of an ex-girlfriend from many years ago.

She was constantly tired, always seemed to have a cold, took days off work left, right and centre and yet she slept for minimum 10 hours per day.

Nice girl but a total sloth, never did anything remotely like exercise or sport.

Taking days off work for a cold, or because you're tired??? :eek:

HTFU

Last edited:
BayView good point.

Wayne Dyer once noted…

You believe you get a cold every few years & so you do.

I believe that I never get colds & so I don’t.

We are both in total agreeance here….

Philip

You believe you get a cold every few years & so you do.

I was one of those who expected a flu/cold every year and they sure use to come. I am not sure what happened but I haven't had one for 5 yrs or so. It's not as if I consciously stopped thinking about it not happening and I still half expected them for a couple of years. Now I am getting used to the fact that I no longer get sick but it wasn't a conscious mind change that did it for me. :confused:
Maybe I have cleansed all of my body toxins from clean healthy living and my body no longer needs to eliminate the old rubbish. :rolleyes:

Rockstar

If you "still half expected them (cold / flu) for a couple of years” you may be due for one.

For me, I never get cold or flu & can’t remember the last time I had one.

And I do some silly stuff like swim in Sydney Harbour at sunrise in mid winter when the water is down to 12 degrees. I’m still shaking at lunchtime.

What you focus on & what you really believe is really powerful & it translates into all areas of our lives.

It’s like loosing control in you car & thinking I better not hit that wall. What do you end up hitting???

As Dr Seuss once wrote “kid you’ll move mountains!!!”

That’s focus, determination persistence & belief. All the ingredients for success!!!

Apply that to real estate, development, investment & anything else & you will rip it.

PS may need to add some luck (that a belief), a plan (that’s an action) & some action.

Philip
:eek:

Back