Your Opinion

Hi All,

Wanted to get some investor opinions as to some suburbs in Sydney. I am currently looking at either a 2 bedder in Baulkham Hills (around 415K) or possibly a house somewhere around the Wetherill Park area or Kings Park are (up to 500K).

I originally wanted to spend below the 400K mark but can see that, that wont happen in this market.

Purpose is for Investment.

My questions are :

1. House or Unit
2. Thoughts on Baulkham Hills Units??
3. Your thoughts on where the market is heading in the next 5 years.
4. Would you buy now, or wait it out??

I originally wanted to spend below the 400K mark but can see that, that wont happen in this market.
Well, at least not unless you go West - St Marys, Mt Druitt etc.

1. House or Unit
Yes, pick one.
Fine
UP!
In my opinion, the longer you wait, the more you will have to pay. We are in a rising market with limited supply that is exceeded by demand and no sign of slowing anytime soon.

All the best with the purchase.

Hi All,

Wanted to get some investor opinions as to some suburbs in Sydney. I am currently looking at either a 2 bedder in Baulkham Hills (around 415K) or possibly a house somewhere around the Wetherill Park area or Kings Park are (up to 500K).

My questions are :

3. Your thoughts on where the market is heading in the next 5 years. up
waiting for what ?

Cliff

waiting for what ?

Cliff

I think this is a great point to discuss!
IMO, the only thing one could be waiting for, would be another crash in the economy.
The interest rates haven't been so low for such a long time. Many rejoice, but is it such a good thing? The way I see it, low interest rates mean a weak economy. If it was to detoriate further - for whatever reason - then we could see layoffs and unemployment rise. Higher unemployment means people who were holding property and who have now lost their jobs can be forced to sell as they struggle/are not able to make the mortgage repayments. This increase the stock available on the market and this drive the prices down.

Now, Australia has fared well through the GFC, no doubt about it. But could it be that some of the conditions that saw us cruise along might be changing?

The other thing to keep in mind is that property prices in Australia and especially Sydney are among the highest in the world - is that sustainable? Or could we be facing some sort of reversal to more reasonable affordability?

However the demand seems unstoppable and the market is not short of cashed up buyers. So it isn't straight forward at all! I see both a potential bull or bear market ahead!

Some of my thoughts, keen to hear what you guys reckon!

bar an recession or catastrophe,

what do other people think on this matter,

assuming we are at say 10% -20% of the gains west sydney will expereince or even 30-40%

would it not be a wiser investment decision to buy in a spill over suburb or spill over city that is about to take off????? or are investors that confident that west sydney is guarnateed for growth that they are willing to sacriice a bit of CG potential for the security of guanrateed growth?

Hi All,

My questions are :

1. House or Unit

1. Unit as house is definitely out of your budget in B/Hills. Kings Park yes but you'll need to renovate/compromise on position etc.
2. Good buying and my forecast (for what it's worth) is bottom end $450K+ will continue to rise as it's entry level buying for this area. Investors and o/occupiers preferred properties.
3. Low entry up to $600K in Sydney "generally" increasing 5-8% next 12-24 mths if conditions remain same and IR's are under 6%.
4. Now as I believe the price brackets you're searching in have higher to go
*all the above my opinions only and based on anecdotal, on-the-ground, local experience, knowledge etc :D
Best of luck!

I too think that we will see some growth in the unit market in BH. Especially in that price range. It is good to see that others also share the same opinion.

I have been looing for some time and prices are certainly moving. Stock also seems to be very low.

Thanks again for everybodys input.

Hi All,

My questions are :

1. House or Unit

1) house any day of the week
2) nope, low growth
3) not as hot as previous 5 years
4) now, if you keep waiting you will never buy

I think this is a great point to discuss!
IMO, the only thing one could be waiting for, would be another crash in the economy.
The interest rates haven't been so low for such a long time. Many rejoice, but is it such a good thing? The way I see it, low interest rates mean a weak economy. If it was to detoriate further - for whatever reason - then we could see layoffs and unemployment rise. Higher unemployment means people who were holding property and who have now lost their jobs can be forced to sell as they struggle/are not able to make the mortgage repayments. This increase the stock available on the market and this drive the prices down.

Now, Australia has fared well through the GFC, no doubt about it. But could it be that some of the conditions that saw us cruise along might be changing?

The other thing to keep in mind is that property prices in Australia and especially Sydney are among the highest in the world - is that sustainable? Or could we be facing some sort of reversal to more reasonable affordability?

However the demand seems unstoppable and the market is not short of cashed up buyers. So it isn't straight forward at all! I see both a potential bull or bear market ahead!

Some of my thoughts, keen to hear what you guys reckon!
Some interesting points there.

Another to consider is if investors are forced to sell due to increasing interest rates and unemployed, this will create a shortage of rentals on market, thus increase demand and probably rent increases for those that didn't sell, with a better return.

Sounds Good Everyone Thank you for your great responses.

One more thing, if you were to spend approx. $415000 would you buy a unit in Baulkham Hills or would you consider a house in a suburb like Kings Park. Assuming your weekly out of pocket expenses were very similar?

I know there is more you can do with a house i.e. Granny Flat etc, but would you sacrifice a better suburb for a house rather than a unit in a cheaper suburb??

In a nutshell Baulkham Hills unit or Kings Park house??

That's the last decision I need to make before making my purchase.

Thanks again!!

Well, I don't know Baulkam hills very much, but I was always under the impression the hills area as a whole was family orientated, which means preference for more bedrooms and some backyard. Does a unit makes sense in this environment? You probably will find people for renting it, it just might not be the market's preference.
Sorry this is not helpful!

Back