Your thoughts on this house to design to build?

Looking to build a share house with my dad as a rental.

4 rooms $180 rent each as they have an ensuite each. So it will have a good return.

I like the floor plan. But my dad has suggested the cut away roof. I'm leaning towards a traditional roof.

What are people's thoughts about the roof, and the floor plan, etc...?

Attachments

• house to build.jpg
    house to build.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 187
  • floor plan.jpg
    floor plan.jpg
    346.3 KB · Views: 186
  • house to build 2.jpg
    house to build 2.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 145
Hi Tim86,

I guess some of it depends on the area that you're building in.
I'd probably stick to the traditional roof if the house is just a box. Could be cheaper too.

Have you looked at what the competition offers?
I think for a share house a separate theatre/lounge room would be appealing, sound batts in the walls and solid core doors to rooms.

For me finding a balance between good building design and profitability is important, Personally (and as a Carpenter) I can't stand badly designed buildings, as an Investor I need to balance this with still making a profit.
My thoughts would be to make the building as practical as possible for the designated use, make people want to live in your place over the competition so that you minimize vacancies, and make it as profitable as possible whilst best catering to that market..

I haven't researched the market for this, if it's Qld most students are probably in old Qld'rs anyway but if the competition is a modern B/V house with 2 living areas what are you offering that's going to attract tenants.

I guess it always comes down to understanding the local market.
Interested to hear what research you've done on this?

Cheers,
Keith

Hi Tim86,

I guess some of it depends on the area that you're building in.
I'd probably stick to the traditional roof if the house is just a box. Could be cheaper too.

Have you looked at what the competition offers?
I think for a share house a separate theatre/lounge room would be appealing, sound batts in the walls and solid core doors to rooms.

For me finding a balance between good building design and profitability is important, Personally (and as a Carpenter) I can't stand badly designed buildings, as an Investor I need to balance this with still making a profit.
My thoughts would be to make the building as practical as possible for the designated use, make people want to live in your place over the competition so that you minimize vacancies, and make it as profitable as possible whilst best catering to that market..

I haven't researched the market for this, if it's Qld most students are probably in old Qld'rs anyway but if the competition is a modern B/V house with 2 living areas what are you offering that's going to attract tenants.

I guess it always comes down to understanding the local market.
Interested to hear what research you've done on this?

Cheers,
Keith

Thanks. All good points.

I've found that people in share houses don't care about lounge rooms, most will just stay in their own room.

The big plus is having their own space, so large bedrooms and their own ensuite.

That's what set's it apart from the competition, which is usually 3 bed 1 bath post war houses.

Glad to hear someone else agrees with me on the traditional roof design :)

House is opposite a park, which is why the open plan layout with the lounge at the front has been done that way, so it all opens up to the view of the park. That wouldn't really work with a seperate lounge area.

I would ensure the house sits on the ground and doesn't hover a metre off, thats important.

Also wheres the other 7 storeys?

Thanks. All good points.

I've found that people in share houses don't care about lounge rooms, most will just stay in their own room.

The big plus is having their own space, so large bedrooms and their own ensuite.

That's what set's it apart from the competition, which is usually 3 bed 1 bath post war houses.

Glad to hear someone else agrees with me on the traditional roof design :)

House is opposite a park, which is why the open plan layout with the lounge at the front has been done that way, so it all opens up to the view of the park. That wouldn't really work with a seperate lounge area.

Sounds good, only just looked at the room sizes, nice and big, extra toilet is a good idea too. leave space for an ex large or even 2 fridges and individual pantry spaces??

I do like skillion roofs like the one on this;
http://www.anchorhomes.com.au/modular-range/1-bedroom-homes-3/item/65-sorrento
But just can't visualise it on your big box house, they tend to look better with a large trad roof.

That is the worst drawing of a skillion roof I've ever seen :)

I'd most likely go with what is common on the street which most likely is a gable

The design is very good for a share house. 6 x 7m for living dining is plenty

I'd consider 2 washing machines

When I was at uni, I liked the idea of a living area, it was the perfect spot to have a few beers and catchup with the rest of the house mates.

Definitely traditional roof. The flat bit in the middle of the skillion design will be very hot even with insulation. I suspect a pyramid or gable roof will be cheaper to build than one with many sections and joins.

I agree with the traditional roof. I would also consider another deck at the rear and add private balconies for the rear bedrooms.

Tim I was just looking at the design again and I would move the front 2 bedroom entrance door so that they are near the bifold door wall. This creates a longer uninterrupted wall in the living dining to make furnishing/tv points easier

Also I would create 2 long narrow back to back rectangle ensuites instead of square ones. The plumbing is then back to back saving money and both can have a window for ventilation.

Imagine this but without a double vanity of course and the robes where you had them if you want

PIEnsuite.jpg

1m x 3 or 4 is plenty for this. 1200mm would be better but still achievable at 1

I prefer the traditional roof on what looks like a traditional queenslander (sort of).

If you lose the queenslander "look" then a skillion roof would be okay, but that "break front pediment" roof in the first drawing just looks wrong.

I also would add a deck at the back, and if you are building from scratch, why not make it a high set house to give you the flexibility to park under and/or build under at some stage in the future?

I also like westminster's idea of each ensuite being long and narrow instead of square to allow a window to each one.

Back