2007 election 24 Nov

Global Warming. Libs have done nothing until recently when it became a vot winner because of Labours efforts.

not sure if this is true, I whole heartedly back Howard when he says Kyoto was not right for Oz... an agreement that doesn't include half the world isn't worth the paper it is written on, hence his insistence that there needs to be a new agreement that includes the developing economies. In our rush to be green we shouldn't make hastie and bad decisions

I wonder what occasion Rudd will elect to make his apology to the original Australians for the injustices I have caused them? I wonder if it will be bi-lingual, such that he can apologise on behalf of all Chinese Australians in their native tongue? If you are half aboriginal half european should you feel sorry for yourself?

I couldn't help but think when Howard changed the super rules to put in an unlimited amount of money into super with maximum tax contributions (15%) as opposed to paying 45% CGT, up until 30th June 2007, the changes would benefit him and his friends. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong in my thoughts.

Politicians are employees too. Its hard to make any changes to employment conditions which wouldnt affect them in any way.

Hi Ausprop, yer it is pretty far fetched but I also remember Howard saying, "Police Officers, Nurses, and Teaches shouldn't be paid extra as that would push up inflation. But because we've kept inflation down we're going to give ourselves a xx% payrise. Lining their pockets, less for the ave person in my opinion. I'd prefer to be protected, looked after if ill, and my children taught at school before a tosser like Howard, Costello live it up.

Hi Brenda, I just saw the youtube you put up, brilliant. I can tell you first hand though that work choices is about signing people up to a better deal, but over the long term paying them less, therefore the business will be more profitable. I guess as employee, you would be better off voting Rudd, as a business owner, Howard.

Hi Brenda, I just saw the youtube you put up, brilliant. I can tell you first hand though that work choices is about signing people up to a better deal, but over the long term paying them less, therefore the business will be more profitable. I guess as employee, you would be better off voting Rudd, as a business owner, Howard.

Hagel, how do you reconcile the fact that real wages have gone up more under Howard than they ever did under the ALP. It would seem based on demonstrated performance that voting for Howard is more likely to give employees higher real wages....

Hi Buzz,

What is the definition of real wages? Sort of like real CPI, real interest rates and real house prices?

I think the issue with Workchoices may possibly be the way it was brought in. Howard just couldn't wait till he had control of the Senate to leave his legacy on the people of Australia.........and unlike the GST he didn't have to get anyone to sell their souls. Far to much pandering to the small business sector IMHO, who funnily enough will be the people that are most likely not to pay your super, not pay the correct wages, not to have performance based assessment systems etc etc etc........

No disrespect intended here to those that run their own small businesses and do the right thing by their employees.

ciao

Nor

I'll resign if IR is changed: Hockey:rolleyes:

Workplace Relations Minister Joe Hockey says he would resign as a minister if substantial changes were made to Work Choices laws if the Howard government is returned.
He made the promise after Labor's workplace relations spokeswoman Julia Gillard said it was on the public record that Treasurer Peter Costello plans to take Work Choices further.
Mr Hockey said he would put his personal integrity on the line over the issue.
"I will resign as a minister in the Howard government if there are any substantial changes or any of the changes that Julia Gillard has just flagged," Mr Hockey told the Seven network.

I watched Miss Gillard,and front row Joe on the box this morning, Mr Hockey has drawn a line in the sand with this one, and it's about time that these ministers stan up and be counted.. ..willair..

Last edited:
Hi all,

I'm changing my view on the result to a 17 seat labour win. I just don't see the coalition doing any damage at present to the lead set-up by Rudd.

The TV ads are starting to appear 'same old same old' from both sides.

I've also noticed that the people I talk to everyday have lost interest in the election. It just does not seem to rate in everyday conversation at present. Maybe this will change in the last week.

Anyone else with an opinion of who they think will win and by how much (not who you want to win). Has this opinion changed since the start of the campaign?

bye

Don't you just love election time.

All of a sudden we the public are promised this and that from the powers that be.

Why couldn't we get their promised goodies beforehand.

I don't want much......just fix the education system, the medical system, make the streets safer, fix the roads etc. Whatever it takes.

Too much mumbo jumbo talk from the pollies as usual.

Regards
Marty

I know my wages and partners aren't rising with inflation, our wages have stalled over the past 6 years. I've also worked in various positions that has taught me that agreements are about signing employees up and driving their wages down over the long term.

Last edited:
Don't you just love election time.

All of a sudden we the public are promised this and that from the powers that be.

Why couldn't we get their promised goodies beforehand.

I don't want much......just fix the education system, the medical system, make the streets safer, fix the roads etc. Whatever it takes.

Too much mumbo jumbo talk from the pollies as usual.

Regards
Marty

Because that's the way we (ie electorate) are trained to respond.....Pavolv's political dogs maybe?

Most of these funds are allocated at budget time, and they (political parties) wait for the campaign to maximise their impact, because we (ie public) forget everything after 5 minutes.

because we (ie public) forget everything after 5 minutes.
Spot on Buzz.

Not all of us forget things though ;). I think I can recall someone saying something like...........GST won't be introduced under my government and also that interest rates would remain low :eek:

Regards
Marty

Spot on Buzz.

Not all of us forget things though ;). I think I can recall someone saying something like...........GST won't be introduced under my government and also that interest rates would remain low :eek:

Regards
Marty

I also remember you voting him in cause you wanted the GST.

not sure if this is true, I whole heartedly back Howard when he says Kyoto was not right for Oz...

Problem is that the environment is global, and doesn't stop at national borders.

an agreement that doesn't include half the world isn't worth the paper it is written on, hence his insistence that there needs to be a new agreement that includes the developing economies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Kyoto_Protocol_participation_map_2005.png

Green indicates countries that have signed and ratified the treaty, yellow indicates those that have signed and hope to ratify it, and red indicates those that have signed but not ratified it.

In our rush to be green we shouldn't make hastie and bad decisions

It's hardly rushed. The protocol is about ten years old now.

On Koyoto I dont understand one simple piece of logic, If as Howards says we will meet our obligations then why not sign it?

I have been researching green a lot lately and it is very interesting. Do you know why China and India are rapidly becoming the greatest polluters? Because we buy thier products.

I am sorry but because you neighbour does not keep thier yard clean you dont have the right to let your go.

Ironically, in relation to this thread, as I feared ( and I think predicted here) in the end it is hip pocket issues that matters. All the media has been on interest rates, jobs, economy, tax cuts, etc... and climate change is nowhere to be seen?......

I dont trust either Howard or Rudd to really act and hope Garret willmake a real difference but I think the unions will screw over any real impact.

Peter 14.7

Problem is that the environment is global, and doesn't stop at national borders.

doesn't this underline the importance of the new agreement that is being forged... one that includes the US, India and China?

NB: assumes this global warming thing isnt a big con, I can only assume it isn't. One year it's the the big freeze up, next it's overheating. The world must be going thru menopause

I am sorry but because you neighbour does not keep thier yard clean you dont have the right to let your go.

I think Howard wants everyone to agree to a covenant being placed over their block that ensures minimum landscaping and upkeep requirements, rather than just 2 houses in the street. Just because the covenant isn't there doesn't mean you won't mow your lawn

Dear All,

1. Less than a week before actual voting for the Federal Elections will take place on 24th Nov 2007. Have your views for Kevin Rudd's ALP and John Howard's Liberal coalition changed, over the last few weeks since the campaigning started?

2. Who will eventually win this Federal Elections? How will this impact the local housing markets?

3. Looking forward to learning further from each one of you, please.

4. Thank you.

regards,
Kenneth KOH

Dear All,

1. From the The SMH Newspapers today, it was reported under the article, "My first 5 steps as PM", I observe that neither the "economic management" nor the tackling the present housing affordability related crisis, was listed as among the top 5 key goals for Kevin Rudd and his ALP for their first 100 days of governing Australia, should they got elected after the Federal Elections outcome has been made known next Saturday on 24th November 2007.

http://www.smh.com.au/

2. Does Kevin Rudd seriously think that the proper economic management of Australia is on "auto-pilot" mode because of the present ongoing resource boom which many local Australians are presently thinking and taking it for granted presently?

3. Or does Kevin Rudd seriously think that it is RBA that is indeed truly (and wholly) responsible for the proper and sound economic management of Australia and not his ALP Government, once they have won the Federal Elections next Saturday?

4. Presently, I do not have a good feeling about the continued economic prosperity in Australia under the Kevin Rudd's Prime Ministership since he and his ALP do not consider proper and sound economic management of Australia, is one of his top 5 priorities, amidst the present ongoing unfolding of the world's growing financial crisis arising from the recent US Credit Crunch and housing slump related events.

5. This is especially so when the RBA has been "forced" to pro-actively respond with 2 seemingly "self-contradictory" policies earlier this month by increasing the interest rate this month to curb down the increasing underlying core inflationary pressures and at the same time, having to pump in an addiitonal $1.7 billion into the local Australian Economy so as to calm the local markets and improving its cash liquidity.

6. For your futher comments and discussion, please.

7. Thank you.

regards,
Kenneth KOH

Back