3 & 5 year fixed rates thread

How do people here work out how much to fix? Never had to think about fixing before now.
I currently have 100% offsets - Say if I have 5 loans and don't intend to break any of them for 3 years - should I fix say 4 and keep one still variable so I can place all extra fund into that offset?

How do people here work out how much to fix? Never had to think about fixing before now.
I currently have 100% offsets - Say if I have 5 loans and don't intend to break any of them for 3 years - should I fix say 4 and keep one still variable so I can place all extra fund into that offset?

if you have your loans 100 % offset, then fixed isnt a good plan :) but I think what you are saying is that you need to keep some flex

Not enough data to provide any useful advie, because much depends on future needs and quite a few "fluffy" things.

One that is usually a given is that if you want to pay down your PPOR debt quickly, try to balance the amount that you can pay off in the fixed term to a variable split and add a little more for good measure

ta
rolf

ta
rolf

How do people here work out how much to fix?

Depends on your situation. What I’ve done in my own situation:

- loan tied to offset account: left it variable
- loans that I’m aiming to refinance: left them variable
- loans at 5.8%: left them variable. A 5.6% fixed rate isn't good enough when variable rates can fall further.
- loans at 6.2%: fixed them. To be competitive with current fixed rates, these need to be cut 3 more times - very unlikely.

I have my own motto that I adhere to and in general serves me well when it comes to deciding to fix or not ie "Fix out of greed, not fear".

Agreed, see above.

Asked the question of CBA. 5.79% for 3 years is the best I can do. Still quite a good rate - but wouldn't mind the extra .2% in my pocket rather than theirs.

Undergoing multiple property refinance due to marriage separation / Court Orders........Suncorp 5.57% fixed for 3 yrs, tried to go lower but that's as far as they'd go.

So coming off a 8.2% CBA business loan for newly completed townhouse development - will fix these at 5.57% for 3 yrs I.O.

Other Karratha cash cows were with Suncorp @ variable 6.3% will also fix 3yrs 5.57% I.O.

Other holdings will leave as variable I.O.

Happy to fix for reduced monthly payments and SANF until I get my feet back on the ground.

Cheers!

Hi,
I asked my NAB banker and he quoted 5.89 % for 2 or 3 yrs fix IO. He said he thought that rate was the cheapest if I can point to him a cheaper rate he will try sort out with the bank for me. So if anyone here did get a better deal please let me know some details, such as any website having the rate displayed, or which office you deal with or your banker contact etc. And yes i have a reasonable loan amt and should be in the position to negotiate. Thank you vey much.

Hi,
I asked my NAB banker and he quoted 5.89 % for 2 or 3 yrs fix IO. He said he thought that rate was the cheapest if I can point to him a cheaper rate he will try sort out with the bank for me. So if anyone here did get a better deal please let me know some details, such as any website having the rate displayed, or which office you deal with or your banker contact etc. And yes i have a reasonable loan amt and should be in the position to negotiate. Thank you vey much.

Got NAB to do 5.79 for 3 years. Tell them to match CBA.

Hi,

Nab are really really bad for that .

They wont go off their chair until someone else has done a bunch of work and ONLY then will they do what they couldnt do last week............

something to keep in mind for the future

ta
rolf

Nab are really really bad for that .

They wont go off their chair until someone else has done a bunch of work and ONLY then will they do what they couldnt do last week............

something to keep in mind for the future

ta
rolf

Yep, it wasn't easy and took me two attempts and I was ready to walk. I don't think I'd bother again.

Back