A market for used bricks?

Sorry if this is a dumb question....

Does anyone know someone who buys / collects used bricks in Perth (ie some with mortar still on them)?

I thought I'd ask before I order and pay for a skip bin to have them gone.

Yes, gumtree. Specify the colour and add photos. As it is impossible to buy new bricks to match older houses, people use gumtree to get bricks to match their wall. I have collected old bricks to fill a hole where an old air conditioner was sitting.

Free bricks may go. Will anyone pay? I have no idea.

I just advertised in the local rag for free, but not many takers because so much work to clean them. These were seconds from period home which when cleaned cost more than your average brick.

Eventually old guy in his seventies came around with his trailer and collected the lot.

There is also a thing called Freecycle - Yahoo group, which makes it a bit clumsy.
Are they near the street? You could also just put a 'FREE bricks' sign on them. Around my area they would go pretty quickly - lots of renovators.
About ten years ago a bloke near me had a pile of bricks outside his house on the footpath and I grabbed a load for a project. When I went back for more, he was waiting - he had bought the bricks for a project he was doing and they had just been delivered. I thought it was funnier than he did.

Try WA Brikmatch in Wattle Grove.

I got bricks matched there and they seem to collate from demolition style properties, they have guys in the yard that chip and cut away the mortar from the bricks prior to stacking on pallet.

Really helpful guys in there too- they will be able to steer you in the right direction.

Other than that, as referenced above Gumtree is a hotspot to offload anything

Ben

Sorry if this is a dumb question....

Does anyone know someone who buys / collects used bricks in Perth (ie some with mortar still on them)?

I thought I'd ask before I order and pay for a skip bin to have them gone.

If they are solids then they are usually in demand for people to do paving etc

I have to use recycled bricks for paving in the Highgate apartments garage as part of the sustainability plan.

Try WA Brikmatch in Wattle Grove.

I got bricks matched there and they seem to collate from demolition style properties, they have guys in the yard that chip and cut away the mortar from the bricks prior to stacking on pallet.

Really helpful guys in there too- they will be able to steer you in the right direction.

Other than that, as referenced above Gumtree is a hotspot to offload anything

Ben

Wow, I just looked at their gallery and using solid bricks as paving looks stunning!!! That's what I'll do. Thank you, Ben & Westminster!!!

JWR might take them off your hands!

Funny thread if you want to search for it!

:D

pinkboy

He hasn't been on...Wonder what he is up to now a days. It was funny he called Sydney a write off in 2012....when there was still loads of opportunity to buy.

There's a guy in Canberra that accepts certain types of bricks - you drop them off in his front yard, he cleans them up and sells them for $1 each.

It was a win-win when we were knocking down walls at the start of the year. Didn't have to drive to the tip to get rid of them.

Cheers

Jamie

JWR might take them off your hands!

Funny thread if you want to search for it!

:D

pinkboy

Thanks for bringing that up pinkboy lol.

JWR hasn't posted for awhile,wonder how he's going?

At least he had ideas to think outside the square.

Cheers Spades.

Last edited:
Back