Abbott or Gillard...?

Abbott or Gillard to win the election ?

• Tony Abbott

Votes: 72 57.6%
  • Julia Gillard

Votes: 53 42.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm pretty sure the backround music playing, the clothing worn and the facial expression of the political candidates in the tv ad's are also influencial factors.

Hi all,

Odds at Sportingbet now

Labor $1.25

Coalition $3.75

The bookies are tightening labor.

Also of note, the odds for an August election are really low, 14th or 28th being favorites at $2.50 and $2.10 respectively. Maybe they do know something...

bye

Hi,

You guys are all looking at it from an intelligent thinking persons point of view.

The majority of voters are rusted on Libs or labours with really only a small percentage that swing and decide who wins.

The largest swinging group are the younger voters, say under 30 years, and they prefer spin over substance. They don't read newspapers, they don't watch the TV news they just skim the headlines and like to vote for the best looking candidate for PM and have no idea who their local member is.

Julia Gillard and Labor will win for sure IMO :(

Ouch!

I'm under 30, quite considerably, and do all the things that you say 'mature' people do. I probably follow more politics (via Agenda on SkyNews and also APAC) than most over 30 year olds. I know you are going to say that we are a minority, but I believe people under 30 are a lot smarter than the older generations were when they were in the 18-30 category.

I would say that more people are educated (have tertiary education) than the over 30s category and thus the under 30 political decision is probably one of great interest to all involved with politics. Yes, I agree most educated people are 'hippies or lefties' and that is why I believe Labor will get in, but I really hope not.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

Thanks all

Ouch!

I'm under 30, quite considerably, and do all the things that you say 'mature' people do. I probably follow more politics (via Agenda on SkyNews and also APAC) than most over 30 year olds. I know you are going to say that we are a minority, but I believe people under 30 are a lot smarter than the older generations were when they were in the 18-30 category.

I would say that more people are educated (have tertiary education) than the over 30s category and thus the under 30 political decision is probably one of great interest to all involved with politics. Yes, I agree most educated people are 'hippies or lefties' and that is why I believe Labor will get in, but I really hope not.

Hi Roachy,

Most of my kids and their friends are 25 to 40 and most are Labor voters, they believe that we have all done well over the past 10-15 years and feel that Labor is responsible for that. :confused:

So they will vote Labor again :(

I would say that more people are educated (have tertiary education) than the over 30s category and thus the under 30 political decision is probably one of great interest to all involved with politics.

Yes, I agree most educated people are 'hippies or lefties' and that is why I believe Labor will get in, but I really hope not.

I think you're confusing having a tertiary education with being more informed about politics, life, small business, and running a sustainable economy.

Most educated young people who vote labor don't run small businesses, and wouldn't know squat about economics.

Winston,

I don't think you need to know politics per say but I think most tertiary students are taught 'how to think, not what to think'. That's why we probably see a lot of these students moving to the left, as they think that a utopianistic society can be managed. Whether it can is hearsay.

I don't think young or old voters need to know the intricacies of economics, politics or how to run a small business. They need to know who will provide the country a better step forward in to the right direction. If they think that is voting for the left, well I personally think they are wrong, but that is the faults and wins of democracy.

Macca,

That is sad that those people think Labor bought Australia to greatness, because they should be well aware, as they voted in the 2007 election, that Liberals were the predominant party throughout the last 2 decades.

Roachy

well - with julia's "a la johnny howard" illegal immigrantion policy, they are giving nothing for the libs to argue against.

if she keeps on this track of pincing all the favorable liberal policies, labour will blitz in ... not that i vote labour!

although i wish it wasn't - i believe and election called now would result in gillard.

bring back costello or turnbull!

I think there's a lot to be said about the timing; the sooner the better for JG. Although I'm a traditional Lib voter, I voted JG in this poll, as I think Labor (JG) will surf in on the euphoria of change and spin.

Given enough time, the shine will wear off and "people" might start thinking critically again (yeah, right! :rolleyes:) and realise what a bad job Labor have done.

It's just a shame that Abbott isn't quite a leader, IMO - and most people vote for the person, not the party. I know my colleagues couldn't even tell you the local reps.

a majority of my friends are under 30 and will vote wherever the tax break takes them.

Just facebooked you Aaron....I didn't realise you were so young.... wondered where that attitude came from...now I see it....:)

Good luck Mate...well done on the Facebook promoting of your biz...!:)

Just because someone votes labour doesn't mean they aren't very well informed. It just means they hold different veiws and priorities.

There are LOTS of voters of all persausions who are uninformed, my MIL votes liberal, because that's what her parents did and her father (who is long dead) would be upset if she done otherwise.

My groups of friends are very well educated and up to date on political issues, most of us are labour supporters, some are liberal supporters and some choose not to discuss which way they go.

There are LOTS of voters of all persausions who are uninformed, my MIL votes liberal, because that's what her parents did and her father (who is long dead) would be upset if she done otherwise.

Correct.

I studied voting behaviour at uni. And I damn nearly passed ;).

The biggest influence on why someone votes the way they do: the way their parents vote. Ahead of gender, race, age, etc. From memory, it accounted for 40-45% of the way votes were cast.

Why? What are the libs going to do differently you think?

Differently to Labour, or differently to what they've done in the past?

I don't follow politics closely, but considering myself to be a "conservative" (small 'c'), I relate more to the Liberals than Labour. And I think a party needs a leader who is seen to be a leader by the large %age of the voting public for that party to be successful. I don't think Abbot somehow has the "appeal" that a Kevin '07 or First Female PM has.

Differently to Labour, or differently to what they've done in the past?

I don't follow politics closely, but considering myself to be a "conservative" (small 'c'), I relate more to the Liberals than Labour.

Dubious reasons for voting for the leader of your country init? Worth thinking about I reckon.

Dubious reasons for voting for the leader of your country init? Worth thinking about I reckon.

Exactly the reason that some people support non-compulsory voting. Those that don't have an interest in politics, or vote for someone "for dubious reasons" probably wouldn't bother voting. :D

Although as others have pointed out, we don't really vote for our leader. We vote for a party who elects a leader. The parties use a leader to sway those who vote for the person and not the party.

Still not sure what you're trying to get at... :confused:

Exactly the reason that some people support non-compulsory voting. Those that don't have an interest in politics, or vote for someone "for dubious reasons" probably wouldn't bother voting. :D

Although as others have pointed out, we don't really vote for our leader. We vote for a party who elects a leader. The parties use a leader to sway those who vote for the person and not the party.

Still not sure what you're trying to get at... :confused:

I hope we get to that at some stage. It would = perpetual liberal governments IMO.

Back