Acknowledge those coming in opposition direction

When you go for a jog, walk or bike ride do you acknowledge the person coming in the opposition direction and say G'day or good morning?

Some do some dont. Generally, i try and say G'day.

Generally, I do.

Yep always. I find most people at least smile. Some nod and say morning, gday etc.

I think it's the Aussie way. I notice it overseas too.

I think it's very old-fashioned & I love it!

The old nod 'hello' or 'lovely day isn't it?' is like a small bonding moment with others in the community.

To 'boods99', just a nod & smile is enough if you're too pooped for conversation :)

Depends if there carrying a knife, stick or baseball bat :)

Normally just a quick nod followed by complete 180 :D

Mate I'm so pumped and running so hard I can't breathe; let alone speak to some lame-@rses who're out there wandering around at half pace looking like their trying. :D

Go hard, or go home, and get out of my way, patsies. :D:D

not specifically talking about running but i laugh when i remember driving an old range rover, every range rover you pass on the other side will give you the RR wave its like a truckies wave rather funny at the time.

When you go for a jog, walk or bike ride do you acknowledge the person coming in the opposition direction and say G'day or good morning?

Yes we always do, and most of the folk around here are elderly (above 40), so we always receive a pleasant reply.

The only ones that drive the wife nuts are the "cool" people with IPODS in who refuse to acknowledge, refuse to look you in the eye, refuse to wave, refuse to say hello, and are blissfully in their own world completely shut off from anything natural and all sensory perception is flooded with "doof doof".

Of course, the elderly folk know better, as they recently read in the local paper about the girl who was blissfully ignorant / purposefully unaware, and subsequently became easy prey and got attaked and raped with the stupid thing on her head. She apparently survived the attack, and managed to get back running, but now only wears one earpiece in, so she can hear the natural surrounds and is far more aware of her immediate surroundings.

The wife now takes great pleasure in trying to get a friendly acknowledgement out of the rude pr1cks.....who are always young girls from 15 through 35.

Hee hee, I like your wife's game!

I also like smiling & waving at people in a road rage situation (is that wrong?) (Rhetorical question:D)

The only ones that drive the wife nuts are the "cool" people with IPODS in who refuse to acknowledge, refuse to look you in the eye, refuse to wave, refuse to say hello, and are blissfully in their own world completely shut off from anything natural and all sensory perception is flooded with "doof doof".

The wife now takes great pleasure in trying to get a friendly acknowledgement out of the rude pr1cks.....who are always young girls from 15 through 35.

LOL, Dazz.

When we lived in LA, I used to jog around Pan Pacific Park near our apartment complex. The running track around it is great.

PPP is right across the road from "The Grove' shopping centre, which is a really cool place and a well known hangout for the rich and infamous. great place to just go and wander around with your latte.

Being LA, and near The Grove, and nearby Bev Hills, it is an automatic magnet for the bold and the beautiful set who all jog in between gym sessions and auditions.

Now, this is a good thing, as you see the best end (pardon the pun) of humanity trying to look good; unlike your normal Aussie mall full of mockies and trackies and boguns and welfare baby machines.

However, they were - as a group - mostly disappearing up their own backside and can't acknowledge anyone else on the planet - unless they are a short, balding, 50 year old guy whose surname ends in stein, with a sign on their headband saying "movie producer". :rolleyes:

Let's not forget that there is a strict fashion statement to be made attached to all this activity. Something that I could not bring myself to participate in as you could imagine. Mind you; there was a very brief period where I lost my focus and found myself wandering through their equivalent of heir Athlete's foot looking subconsciously at runners that had the similar colours of my running t-shirt and shorts....how did those two items even get matched up??

I found that the older runners - men and women - were far more feet on the ground and would give a little wave or nod or smile.t

Yup, I do. Fah sho.

*dip head* mornin'

Ha! In fact it is so automatic from going on my morning walks that sometimes I've almost said good mornin' at night when passing other walkers.

I'm one of these (except I'm too lazy to run, I walk)..., if someone says something to me first I'll respond, otherwise I live in my own little world.... Sorry! :p

Back