Adding door to fence that opens onto corwn land

Hi guys

I was just wondering if there are rules about adding a door to a fence that would open onto a public path way/crown land.

I have attached a picture showing where the door would go.

If I can't do it, can I apply for permission to the council or is it a strict no.

Attachments

• Fence.JPG
    Fence.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 107
You mean a gate?

I recall growing up with our house backing onto a park and we had a gate out to the park. Gates out to parks are very common

Isn't every footpath "crown land". I wouldn't think there is any problem with it (but I'm just guessing). Is it a park that the gate would open onto?

Isn't every footpath "crown land". I wouldn't think there is any problem with it (but I'm just guessing). Is it a park that the gate would open onto?

Its like a small reserve, there is a park bench but I would probably estimate the area is max 100sqm.

I actually ran around with google maps and another house further down has a gate to 'reserve' so I guess it will be fine.

Shouldnt be a problem just be aware that councils often dont like gates that open outwards and make sure it is secure enough for you (wouldn't want it to be an easy access for crims)

Its like a small reserve, there is a park bench but I would probably estimate the area is max 100sqm.

I actually ran around with google maps and another house further down has a gate to 'reserve' so I guess it will be fine.

Just have a look like you have done and if there is a precedent (a gate an another property) then I would just do it but try to make it look like its part of the fence rather than a dedicated gate.

From a recent post either here or on WP someone ended up getting a "No" response from the council for a similar request.

If you really want a gate an do it all council can do if they ever have an issue with it is ask you to remove it but if you want a gate and ask and they say no and you go ahead and put one in then your already sought advice and this may end up a worse wituation.

Gate to Council land

My house backs onto a large reserve (Blacktown Council) and 90% of the houses have gates leading onto the reserve. I've been here 17 years and never heard a peep from Council.

I know it's not legal and Council could make us remove it at any stage, but imagine how many resources they would have to put into everyone in the Council area removing their gates. It's just not going to happen.

Just keep in mind that security is the key. We have a double sided keyed lock on ours and haven't had any issues with this (I think the 55kg Rotti x Dane on the other side helps this - heheh).

If Council did say something, I would point out to then that we use the gate to access *their* side of the fence to maintain the grass immediately adjoining our fence. We mow a strip so their tractor mower doesn't have to come close to the fence and we also spray weed killer to keep them down.

Also, our Council will not pay for any portion of the mutual fence. I have to pay for 100% of the fence so as far as I'm concerned, I'm going to do what I like with it.

Back