Adelaide Fringe Suburbs

Hi all,

My next next purchase on my agenda, is a ppor. Since I am single and work in the city, I'm considering getting a unit in what I call the 'cityfringe' suburbs. Ones like North Adelaide and Mile End would be ideal. Kurralta Park / Richmond seem acceptable distance - but most of the units there are in quite large complexes (at least from what I've seen so far). Any other pockets close to town (north or west side preferably) that would suit a low budget?

I've only been in Adelaide a couple of years, and have since rented in Henley and had my investment interests in my home state of WA. As such, I'm wondering if any somersoftarians are familiar with any good / bad pockets in these areas to seek out / stay away from, respectively.

Ultimately, it'd end up becoming an IP I imagine. My thought is that with rising transportation costs, properties close to the city will eventually become even more desirable than present. Especially since alot of Adelaide's infrastructure seems (to me) to be in Adelaide itself, instead of evenly distributed like in other cities I've lived.

Any stories to tell of good / bad returns experienced, or good / bad tenants had?

Others to consider

I wouldnt buy into one of those Kurralta Park style appartment blocks as when you sell/rent you want to appeal to students, single mums, retireees etc.These blocks dont appeal to most.

Aside from the fringe suburbs there are some other good options all within 20 mins of city that have plenty of units in all shapes and sizes. When looking west/south west, just outside the city fringe (5-10km) is more pleasant living in my opinion.

Within 5-6km that are affordable with good transport:
Edwardstown
South Plympton
Plympton

Within 6-9km that are nice, affordable and have good transport:
Camden Park
Glengowrie
Glenelg North

Stay within 10kms of the city and be not too far from the beach and you wont go wrong (thats the beauty of the south west). I've lived in and owned units before and here are the most desirable features in order of preference (excluding location, internal size and condition):

1. You want strata title. Steer clear of company title.
2. Single story
3. Off street parking
4. Small group (3-6 is ideal)
5. Demogrphics of units (you dont want to be stck in a group of 8 with all 60 year olds +)
6. External condition. Its easy to do the inside up, but the outside can be a headache. Things need to be approved and some people dont want to spend a cent. Check the sinking fund/stata kitty to make sure there is enough in there.
7. Dont be too close to a train line. Its not the train noise, its the trouble. A friend who lives a station has constant bother (graffiti, fights, break ins etc).

Very good post eightgrate.

dtraeger - also check out Kent Town, Norwood, Nailsworth and Prospect. You don't get much closer to the CBD than that.

One criteria I would add to EG's comments is try to stick to units with two bedrooms.

I would agree about the south-west suburbs , even down around Marion , Ascot park , Mitchell Park , nice units and townhouses around there , close to Seacliff beach and still within 10ks of town.

@8grate: Thanks alot for the informative post. I only mentioned Kurralta Park as a reference to preferred distance from work / town, did mention large complex sizes as quite unappealing to me. Your desirable preference list matches mine exactly tho. I'm basically wanting (hoping?) to stay inside 5km.

@steveadl: The first 3 suburbs are probably my preference but unfortunately out of my price range - I'll check out the forth. Thanks :)

With a max of about $230k, choices are a little limited. Luckily Adelaide is a bit cheaper than the other state capital cities. Perhaps that'll change in the future :)

$230k still gives you plenty of options DT.

One thing to bare in mind, whilst units are by no means my area of experise - when I do see them, you seem to be able to buy close to the city for about the same price as a lot of the units further out. Obviously every area has it's own advantages and prospects, but for my money I'm with you - the closer to the CBD/beach the better.

Dave, there was a unit listed yesterday on RE.com for $230-$240k in North Adelaide. I'd be snapping up something like that. I believe it would be a much better investment than some of non-inner suburbs mentioned already. Plus if you ever go to rent it out in future you'll have a line up of potential tennants a mile long.

Gools

St Marys, Pasadena & Bedford Park are all around 8km from the city and within 1km of Flinders University, this would make the unit easy to rent out in the case that you were to upgrade/move out down the track.

Prices generally range $150k-$230k for a 2 bedroom unit.

They are however south.

Personally I've seen a few 2br units around my area going for prices that I think are undervalued (relatively). Seen quite a few in the 220 - 260k range

St Peters
Joslin
Royston Park

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsearch?a=s&cu=fn-rea&s=sa&ss=&ag=&t=res&snf=rbs&chk=0&lead=&ty=&searchFormSource=advanced+search&tb=+ST+PETERS%2C+JOSLIN%2C+ROYSTON+PARK%2C+&u=ROYSTON+PARK&pm=&px=&pme=any&pxe=any&cat=Alpine%2CApartment%2CFlat%2CRetirement+Living%2CServiced+Apartment%2CStudio%2CUnit&o=def

Bare in mind these are all located amongst some very expensive properties (1m+), lots of parks and very quiet......Maybe also Norwood but you pay a fair premium to be close to the parade / shops etc

For a little bit less, move north west along to

Collinswood
Prospect
Nailsworth

TJ

Talking Kurralta Park, there are some nice groups in the streets behind Anzac Hwy (I wouldn't go near the big groups along the highway). I happen to live in a townhouse in KP. You won't find a townhouse under $300k though anymore unfortunately. I like the location of KP as it is close to the city, with good bus transport, but still close enough to Glenelg (cafes/bars/beach) and also Marion (Westfield) for shopping if you don't want to go to the city.

This group in ok on Mortimer St, or this one (bit more than 230 though for the second). Kurralta park you will find some for under $230k, but usually un-reno or 1br.

A bit further out at Edwardstown (not quite as nice a suburb, but close to the train to the city), some like this, or this is ok if you want something reno'ed inside

you seem to be able to buy close to the city for about the same price as a lot of the units further out. Obviously every area has it's own advantages and prospects, but for my money I'm with you - the closer to the CBD/beach the better.

This was my thoughts exactly :)

Thanks for the suburb tips, everyone. Added some of them to my searching list.

Anyone currently buying or selling in the areas mentioned? Noticed much turnover?

I'd add Bowden/Brompton/Ovingham to your search list. Lots of tiny blocks and lots of quite new houses in there, high rents. I was looking to rent there a few years ago but I could only afford houses backing onto the train line, so I ended up in a unit in North Adelaide instead. All 4 of those suburbs are terrible for finding houses with offstreet parking though.

I'd add Bowden/Brompton/Ovingham to your search list. Lots of tiny blocks and lots of quite new houses in there, high rents. I was looking to rent there a few years ago but I could only afford houses backing onto the train line, so I ended up in a unit in North Adelaide instead. All 4 of those suburbs are terrible for finding houses with offstreet parking though.

Rumpled Elf if you keep adding quality posts to this forum you will soon find yourself banned as a mod at GHPC:p

Over $1200/sqm for land in the new development in Brompton now. Would have thought they were dreaming but it seems to be selling ok. Should help house prices through that strip.

Gools

Back