adelaide

Medians

Yee3890,

The median for Salisbury local government area is $217K. For Playford (Elizabeth) it is $169,000. This is from REISA. You could also look at the individual suburb median but I found so many different Elizabeth and Salisbury suburbs it can be a little misleading - You maywant to have a look yourself. :)

The website is :

http://www.reisa.com.au/page?pg=299

Last edited:
You know its really interesting with Salisbury and Elizabeth. I have always lived in Adelaide, and really, Salisbury and Elizabeth have ALWAYS had a bad name.

I'm now 35, and I would LOVE to see the northern suburbs turn around and have some glamour about it so that the whole state looks "better" to investors. I actually have 3 IPs in Salisbury East (and they have done very nicely), however I've just been too cautious to buy in Elizabeth. I have waited for so long for the area to change but I'm wondering will it ever?

I think it's also a bit of a mental game too. Because I live in Adelaide, the thought of buying in Elizabeth just doesn't do it for me (yet). I have however purchased in Woodridge in QLD where people who are locals say "don't do it", but because I'm not a local it doesn't seem as bad. Get the idea? The Woodridge properties I am absolutely wrapped in, they've done very well and tenants haven't been an issue, so you just never know.

At the end of the day, I'd like to see Elizabeth (and its 7 suburbs), turn around big time. But I have to say, since I was a little boy, its always had that bad name. How long will this continue???

Because I live in Adelaide, the thought of buying in Elizabeth just doesn't do it for me (yet). I have however purchased in Woodridge in QLD where people who are locals say "don't do it", but because I'm not a local it doesn't seem as bad. Get the idea? The Woodridge properties I am absolutely wrapped in, they've done very well and tenants haven't been an issue, so you just never know.

At the end of the day, I'd like to see Elizabeth (and its 7 suburbs), turn around big time. But I have to say, since I was a little boy, its always had that bad name. How long will this continue???

Agleave you've hit the nail on the head!

I think it's also a bit of a mental game too. Because I live in Adelaide, the thought of buying in Elizabeth just doesn't do it for me (yet). I have however purchased in Woodridge in QLD where people who are locals say "don't do it", but because I'm not a local it doesn't seem as bad. Get the idea? The Woodridge properties I am absolutely wrapped in, they've done very well and tenants haven't been an issue, so you just never know.

So true. I bought in Redcliffe, QLD which doesn't really have a great reputation but haven't had any problems with it ever.

But some of the cheaper suburbs in Sydney I have alot of problems investing there :)

But Redcliffe seems alright to me. Redfern or something here seems alot worse.

thanks for all above posts guys......elizabeth seems to be a contentious subject....seems you either love it or hate it!! have decided to buy somewhere between Glenelg & semaphore (hoping beach front!). heading over to Adelaide in next few weeks. Was deliberating between some cheapies in elizabeth (or surrounds) or a beach fronter. Think the decision has been made!

Xenia, so what would be some suburbs that in your opinion will do well in the medium to long term? I'm taking a trip to Adelaide in Nov, and would like to take a drive through some of the suburbs for an initial 'on the ground' feel.
Alex

Hi Alexlee,

Have a look at some of the Southern Suburbs. Hallet Cove, Marino etc. Most of the houses there are priced below the median average for Adelaide (so there is room for growth), the blocks are large enough to be subdivided in the future and most houses (in hallet cove) have a sea view (even if you need to get up on the roof to see it). There is the potential to subdivide or add another story to incease value. It is the one of the only places in Adelaide where you can get sea views for under $300,000. If that's not poised for capital appreciation, I don't know what is!

I also like Port Adelaide and surrounds. These are currently distressed areas and there are pockets where properties can be picked up quite cheap. There is a proposed $10 million development on both sides of the port river and a proposal to develop and modernise port Adelaide. They did this with Glenelg in recent times and it is now one of the more expensive Western Suburbs. I don't like to speculate, but if I had a house in Port Adelaide or Hallet cove and I can afford the short fall, I would definately be holding for the long term.

If you would like to meet up for coffee and a chat while you are in Adelaide, give me a call!

Xenia

I believe Elizabeth and Salisbury areas are improving and have got to the stage where I would be looking to buy into the areas as the prices are still cheap and you have good surrounding infrustructure and employment. I work with allot of people who live in the area and I would be quite happy to have any of them as my tenants.

For what its worth I think the future slum areas will be Andrews farm and burton.

I agree with Xenia that the south is also a good spot, you can pick up a very nice house for just above $200k. again with plenty of infrustructure and employment.

But for me I am looking in the western suburbs between the city and the beach primarily becuase I am looking for long term capital gains and they are closer to home (Semaphore park) I would also love to buy in the Port area but I think that the hype from the new development has increased the values above what they should be but I am still keeping my eye out for a bargin or development oportunity (just like everyone else, or so it seems).

These are just my views on Adelaide, hope they help those interested.
Pablo.

One day all will be revealed!!

Hi
On a side note -the history of this somersoft forum has shown time and time again...that when the locals shoot down an area...it will turn out to be boon for investors.
WB
This can not be a better statement. I guess those that have done it before (realised a potential in an area) and invested in an area at the low end to realise excellent capital gains are talking from experience. I guess that is why we all come in here - to get the "lowdown" and then make our own decision on the right investment for you.

Joannep in coming from Perth will look around and everything - and I mean absolutely everything (!!!) will look cheap - believe me that was what it was like for us when we visited from Perth to buy. You need to take this in context with the SA market vs WA market. I still believe that following the same formula that you followed successfully in the past that worked for you is the way to go. For us it was buying on the high end of the market (beachfront) although if you have that free cash go for it. It was buying below the City median with good yield and a recognised potential. We almost bought in Rosewater but ended up buying in Salisbury (go figure!!??). I guess it was once again - buy below Median, Rental Yield and in the walking distance to rail. transport, sporting fields, cinemas, shops, schools, Tafe etc. When you look at Salisbury it really is a well situated suburb in terms of longer term growth in my view. That said this is my view as a Perthite using the same factors that worked for me in Perth. All, of course, will depend on Adelaide maintaining some kind of growth. What are our opinions on Adelaide's potential in terms of off shore gas reserves, mining and industry? i can never seem to get a straight answer on that??

I think all the suburbs mentioned have some excellent potential - I am not sure that the Largs Bay, Semaphore area etc is going to keep going up as it has in the last couple of years except it is beachfront and we all know about that scarcity factor. If you are talking socio economics I really cant see the difference between some of these suburbs in and around Port Adelaide and places like Salisbury, Mawson lakes, Parafield etc. I think this argument is superfluous!!

Bully;)

Joanne,

Just to confuse things even more for you :p

Have you thought about investing on Kangaroo Island? It's South of Adelaide and is the 3rd biggest Island off the coast of Australia.

My Mum lives there and the prices keep going up year after year. The locals can't find enough rental properties to live in so rental availability is down really low. The crime rate is way down low and being an Island it has a really great community feel. It is a very well known SA holiday destination and more holiday rentals are needed as in the busy time there is hardly enough to go around.

The prices aren't that bad BUT have risen considerably in the last couple of years. There are a lot of v.rich Adelaide people who have bought up very large tracts of land to build v.expensive holiday homes on. So the future of the Island's tourist industry should be v.good.

http://www.tourkangarooisland.com.au/

If you would like more info pls. pm me and I will be happy to chat to you.

Just a suggestion................

Kangaroo Island

Wouldn't buying on Kangaroo Island in SA be like buying on say Russell or Macleay Islands on the Gold Coast??

What I mean is that - and I haven't been to Kangaroo Island so I am just going on what you are saying - wouldn't it be a very limited market in that you wouldn't have a great deal of people with a job on the "mainland" looking for a place to call home and settle in the suburbs? My wife and I were looking at the Russell and Macleay Islands off Brisbane for a while but the news that a bridge was years off if it ever was going to happen and you would be very limited to holiday home buyers and those getting away from the Ratrace. That's not to say that those who buy there are "escaping"!

What I mean is that - and I haven't been to Kangaroo Island so I am just going on what you are saying - wouldn't it be a very limited market in that you wouldn't have a great deal of people with a job on the "mainland" looking for a place to call home and settle in the suburbs? My wife and I were looking at the Russell and Macleay Islands off Brisbane for a while but the news that a bridge was years off if it ever was going to happen and you would be very limited to holiday home buyers and those getting away from the Ratrace. That's not to say that those who buy there are "escaping"!

HI Bulldog,

Kangaroo Island is very big - about 150 kms long and 50 kms across. It's main business comes from a large farming community as well as aquaculture, ecotourism and tourism. So there are a lot of workers on the Island that need accommodation and there really isnt enough of it to go around.

It is 12 km's from the mainland and is reached by the SEALINK ferry - very very big ferry it is, I have often seen it loaded with 10 semis full of sheep etc, as well as cars and people. Big dollars spent there by the state gov't and Sealink.

KI also has some of the most beautiful beaches in Australia - Vivonne Bay being voted the most beautiful beach in Australia.

KI offers unlimited access to wildlife - it is the only place in Australia where you can walk on the beach with seals. There are fairy penguins, platypus, kangaroos (of course), kookaburras, one of the largest colonies of koalas in Australia, seals, whales, dolphins etc etc. The fishing is unbelievable and the people are extremely friendly.

The 2 islands off of Brisbane offer none of the wildlife, tourism or experiences that KI can.

Bulldog I highly recommend a trip there - you won't regret it!

Attachments

• VIVONNE BAY.jpg
    VIVONNE BAY.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 67
  • mf679.jpg
    mf679.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 66
  • mf800.jpg
    mf800.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 62
Kangaroo Island

I bought a small block of land at Vivonne Bay in 95 for 9 grand, Council valuation on rates notice now $66K, and judging by sales and realestate.com a bit on the conservative side. KI is now really moving because of all the work they have done on tourism. The main problem is that a lot of the island doesn't have a reticulated water supply, and as far as I know there are no plans to build one.

The ELIZABETH Gamble

I spent 3 years living in Adelaide - in both the Adelaide Hills and the city and when I was there the Elizabeth area always had a poor reputation. After moving away from SA to Sydney I have since bought 2 IP's in the area. (Something I never thought I would do) One is in El. North. It is a big corner block that can be cut into 3, paid $122K, rents for $175/wk. The other is in Eliz East. It is brick, basic, in a "nicer" area and has a new kitchen, paid $154K and rents for $185/wk. We went there this year to buy one and came home with 2!! You just need to have a good property manager in this area. I can recommend one if anyone needs it.

:cool:

Hi guys,

Have been following this thread and have enjoyed everyones input. As has been mentioned and through common sense you should always IMHO make up your own mind after you've done your research and invest where you think is good for your own strategy.
Anyway I think at this time for me I need something that will supplement my other properties and I've just purchased in Salisbury North and I was hoping someone could recommend a good PM and Conveyancer?

Hi guys,

Have been following this thread and have enjoyed everyones input. As has been mentioned and through common sense you should always IMHO make up your own mind after you've done your research and invest where you think is good for your own strategy.
Anyway I think at this time for me I need something that will supplement my other properties and I've just purchased in Salisbury North and I was hoping someone could recommend a good PM and Conveyancer?

Hi Preacher,
I own a property management company and can certainly help out there.

If you email me, I can attach an information brochure of our pm services, there is also some information on my website. Happy to talk to you at any time!

The conveyancer that we use is Roger Scott from Kurralta Park
(08) 8371-4811

I spent more than 10 yrs growing up in Elizabeth so I know the area quite well. It is a dump but then there are bad parts and good parts. I think South and East of the Shopping centre is better.

Also the area near Craigmore is good. I think that's Elizabeth East, near Trinity College.

I always thought that it was relatively easy commute to the city straight on Main Nth Rd or the trains are convenient.

I know there are lots of 'druggies', housing trusts, a lot of my friends dropped out of highschool and had babies at 16y.o and some even have 3 babie sto 3 different fathers. It's a bad area but it did makae my growing up much more intersting.

I even left a good private school to do my SACE in Elizabeth City Highschool. It's actually not that bad of a school. All my friends graduated from Uni but I think the statistics is low.

For sure, we regret selling our hourse. It's probably tripled in value now.

Think of it as business and try not to get too personal. Afterall, just because you don't want to live there and don't like the area doesn't mean others will not. A lot of people want to live there.

I think if I was to go back to Adelaide it would be weird not to live there because I know that area so well and have ties. There are no memories living elsewhere and I'd be lost. At times growing up I remember feeling ashamed to tell people where i lived especially when my mum sent me to prestigious private schools but now I feel proud and thankful. I was angry with my mum for sending me to a school where I didn't really fit in and she could barely afford but now I understand and am so grateful.

In the next few years, I want to take my hubby back and show him the area I grew up and maybe buy some IP's.

But at the moment there are just too many opportunities in QLD and no need to start looking elsewhere yet. There are more things to do in Adelaide but Brisbane is slowly growing on me.

Have they developed the land between Elizabeth and Gawler yet?

Back