Ads....effective? NUP!

Advertising does work. Though I suspect not as much as the advertising people tell people like myself who pay for the advertising.

ATM I'm getting lots of people who come into the shop doing, or talking about, the Subway shuffle.

And for each promotion we do, we get lots of people asking us for the sub which was advertised on TV.

However, there have been times when advertising has been cut back or increased. This does not appear to have affected the sales a great deal one way or the other.

A part of the aim of advertising has been not so much to sell today or tomorrow, but to raise an awareness of the brand. This awareness can be measured in surveys. "Top of mind awareness" is something important. "If you go out to eat where would you go?".

We must have done something right, because 15 years ago not many people had heard of Subway. Now it's up there with the big ones.

Of course I like to think it's something to do with a great product. Without that all the advertising in the world is useless.

But a great product which nobody knows about is also useless.

Geoffw raised a good point. The majority of advertising is just raising brand awareness - however you have to have a product that meets and/or exceeds standard expectations.

The success of subway's advertising and deployment into the aussie market has been a prime example of HOW TO DO IT RIGHT, and is due to the following factors IMO:
- raising brand awareness
- advising the customer of the BENEFITS of chosing subway.
- giving the consumer justification of why it's OK to eat subway (6grams of fat or less!!)
- striking an emotional chord with the consumer (remember the Jarrod bloke who lost ~100kg by eating subway??)
- backing up the raising of brand awareness with availability of store locations, and a product that meets and exceeds the consumers expectations.

I know that subway's advertising has worked on me, because when faced with the choice of fast food, i will usually chose subway because it is the healthier option than pretty much everything else - and i get to make it how i like it. That "personal touch" is something you arent provided with at other fast food outlets.

With regards to most TV advertising... i personally think that the only truly successful advertising is that which gives the consumer justification for chosing the advertised product or service, or strikes an emotional chord with the customer, or does both.

A great example is tyre advertising.
Years ago, it was all "bob jane t-marts, cheapest tyres in town" type of ads..... and it didnt work. People bought crappy tyres.
Then... the ads were no longer about price, but struck the emotional chords by making the ads all about safety. Depicting a young family with kids avoiding an accident with a truck thanks to their Bridgestone tyres, or the Michellin man protecting the kids like a caring father.
It deployed both justification and emotion. And it worked.

How many people now buy brand name tyres, because they are concerned about safety??

Mmmm, I love Subway... I think that will be nice for lunch tommorow.

Not sure if this is really 'on topic' but... as a non-smoker I get really annoyed at the Quit ads. Sure, ppl should be quitting but they are horrible and distressing and we have to leap up to shield our toddlers eyes from the images. And before someone jumps on me for daring to have the TV on when my child is around (tut tut, such bad parenting) these ads kept coming on right at the end of Sunrise before Raggs started at 9.00am.

Ok, rant over.

Companies these days are very good at measuring the effectiveness of advertising - particularly retail ads with a direct response mechanism e.g. a phone number or website with an offer. So if the ads don't work, they are changed or pulled (depending on the media commitment).

Lots of people say that ads don't work on them, but I don't buy that. If I was thinking about buying a new car, I would take notice of car ads. If I was thinking about a holiday, I would take notice of ads about holidays - especially those with a special offer. If I was at home on Friday night with a few mates and a few beers, I might take notice of a pizza ad.

And we all benefit from the money spent on advertising. I quite like reading the newspaper in the morning and I know it is subsidised by advertisers. Why do newspapers have news in them? To fill in the gaps between the ads. Why do commercial radio stations play music? To fill in the gaps between the ads. Why do commercial TV stations show the footy, or movies, or sit coms, or whatever? Yep, it's those pesky gaps they have to fill.

Scott

Well, I hate the ad for alcohol which shows a toilet bowl that has just been vomited into, and then the unmistakable sounds of another hurl in process; supposed to be a young Dad who has had a bender and his daughter is watching from the doorway. Absolutely disgusting and they usually show it just as you are about to eat. Does it work? Hell yeah, I rang up the Government alcohol help line and abused them for showing it!

The best ads work without you knowing it. So you can believe that it has no effect on you, but sub-consciously it probably does. Some of the best adverts actually don't tell you to do anything, yet it makes you believe the product is desirable, of high-quality, and, most of all, something you may purchase.

Take Coca-cola for example. Notice how most of their ads are just people having fun. Just ordinary people partying, some with a coke in their hand. The ad isn't telling you how good coke tastes or how you need to have some coke right now (as other adverts do). Yet look at how successful coke's marketing reach is. How many people know about coke, and consider it to be a desirable product? Been to a public event recently? Notice how many coke cans/bottles were in the bin?

How about McDonald's? Do they really make the best burgers? I'd say no, as most others probably would. And yet they sell the most burgers. Think about the last time you were in a rush and needed to get a quick meal and you grabbed some takeaway from Mcers. Did you get the meal because they had the best burger? Probably not. Because they serve the quickest takeaway? Probably not. You just thought of Mcers and decided to get it there.

I hate most ads and love the silent button on the remote control.

However, occasionally a good ad appears and you don't mind watching it a second or even a third time. Latest one I do like is the orchestra playing on the raft at sea and the whales supposedly responding. It's an Optus ad about communication.

I do enjoy the Gruen Transfer show, mentioned earlier.

Cheers
Shirley

The best ads work without you knowing it. So you can believe that it has no effect on you, but sub-consciously it probably does. Some of the best adverts actually don't tell you to do anything, yet it makes you believe the product is desirable, of high-quality, and, most of all, something you may purchase.

Take Coca-cola for example. Notice how most of their ads are just people having fun. Just ordinary people partying, some with a coke in their hand. The ad isn't telling you how good coke tastes or how you need to have some coke right now (as other adverts do). Yet look at how successful coke's marketing reach is. How many people know about coke, and consider it to be a desirable product? Been to a public event recently? Notice how many coke cans/bottles were in the bin?

How about McDonald's? Do they really make the best burgers? I'd say no, as most others probably would. And yet they sell the most burgers. Think about the last time you were in a rush and needed to get a quick meal and you grabbed some takeaway from Mcers. Did you get the meal because they had the best burger? Probably not. Because they serve the quickest takeaway? Probably not. You just thought of Mcers and decided to get it there.

No; totally incorrect on that one. I notice exactly what every ad is trying to achieve - buy, buy, buy.

I notice how much Coke is consumed. We sell mountains of the stuff at golf courses. It is a piece of cr@p product. Full of sugar and salt, and actually makes you more thirsty. So, because I know this, the ads have no affect. Simple.

Interestingly, the fatter the customer, the more likely they are to buy a Coke. I can almost pick their drink before they walk to the fridge.

I like the taste of it, but never buy it. Don't need it, and don't want it, and sure as hell won't fall for their advertising. Gimmee water - from the tap. I'll buy the no-name water in the bottle once in a while. Not evian or all these similar w.a.n.k.e.r scams for top dollar.

Nup. None of the above have any effect on me.

But, this doesn't mean I don't buy stuff; I do - just not the products that are bombarding the waves relentlessly.

In fact, in most cases, ads are a total pain-in-the-@rse, an insult to your intelligence and turn you (me) off with their constant repetition and BS themes.

We saw 3 caramel egg ads in ONE ad break tonight. The same ad. :mad:

Will never ever buy that product now because of this. Will it decrease the standard of my life not to succumb to the ad? Not likely.

I don't drink coke - because the ads p.i.s.s me off. I don't eat Maccas or Subway (sorry Geoff) etc because the ads p.i.s.s me off, and they repeat them every 10 minutes. That latest Subway ad where the people are dancing on the beach- I've seen it about 100 hundred times this week. :mad: and I don't even watch a lot of tv. It's a disgrace, and they've lost me forever. Couldn't care less how good the food is.

I'm no doubt the minority case with all this, but it's a conscious effort to resist the garbage, and I'm winning big time.

It's simply a matter of being aware of what's going on, and saying no.

The more you do, the less you consume s.h.i.t and the richer you get.

Then, you can consume all you want.

But then again; most already do.

Just remember; most penguins are in financial sewerage. Most penguins are consumer-holics. Most penguins fall victim to advertising on a daily basis.

We don't have to.

Last edited:
Well, I hate the ad for alcohol which shows a toilet bowl that has just been vomited into, and then the unmistakable sounds of another hurl in process; supposed to be a young Dad who has had a bender and his daughter is watching from the doorway. Absolutely disgusting and they usually show it just as you are about to eat. Does it work? Hell yeah, I rang up the Government alcohol help line and abused them for showing it!

Ugh Pushka! I haven't had the pleasure of seeing this one yet... I'm sure they will show it constantly at say 5.50pm spot on dinner time. I see you're in SA, maybe they are testing it there first.

We get some other ghastly ones about speeding too. Again I know they are trying to educate the masses and they do have to be more gruesome than CSI and the latest Saw movie so ppl take notice, BUT does my 4 and 2 yr old really need to see those things??? Do I??? As someone who dosen't smoke, speed or drink to excess, why do I have to be subjected to it?

As for whether marketing works on me, well yes I'd have to admit it does... sometimes and like BayView said, it does work the other way as well. There are certain items I don't buy purely because I've made the effort to remember the brands behind the stinking ads.

Its when the ad agencies get off the 'sex sells' and 'violence rocks' train that some gems are produced ie. the Telstra dad ad.

(Here's me thinking I wouldn't be posting anything tonight...)

i tend to read the paper or channel surf during the ads ... but occasionally there is one i love.

the current favorite is the telstra mobile phone gps ad with the guy who's phone gps doesn't work and he ends up using the girlfriends ... well ... i can't help but crack up every time he says "will it tell me where to go", and she mutters "i'll tell you where to go."

must just tickle the funnybone.

not a fan of the company but the telstra ads are usually pretty good (emperor nazi goreings' rabbit fence :D)

Hi Lizzie, just so I'm not always a negative nelly on this forum I thought I'd post the ad I like/d... :p

Not that Bonds is popular at the moment, but I really loved the little baby boy being put into his Easy(?) suit/romper with close up of his lil toes and Twinkle Twinkle Little star playing in the background. SO so cute and SO so like my little man (similar looks, truly).

When that ad came on I would run in to stand in front of the TV wiping a tear from my eye (sometimes). No it didn't make me buy the little clothes as my little fellow is out of the baby stuff now but i would of if I could have squeezed him into them. Yes the ad worked.

No; totally incorrect on that one. I notice exactly what every ad is trying to achieve - buy, buy, buy.

That is the main aim yes, but not the only one.

I notice how much Coke is consumed. We sell mountains of the stuff at golf courses. It is a piece of cr@p product. Full of sugar and salt, and actually makes you more thirsty. So, because I know this, the ads have no affect. Simple.

You know about coke, know enough to stock it and pick the customers who will buy it, and sell mountains of it. In coke's eyes, "buy, buy, buy" has been achieved. No affect? I see plenty right there :)

You know about coke, know enough to stock it and pick the customers who will buy it, and sell mountains of it. In coke's eyes, "buy, buy, buy" has been achieved. No affect? I see plenty right there :)

Interesting comment. I do tuckshop at my sons' high school. Lots of kids (mostly the older ones) buying soft drinks on a daily basis. During last year the rules were changed and Pepsi was only available on two days a week. At the suggestion of the students (very interesting to me) the availability of chocolates was reduced to one day a week along with Pepsi. Friday is Pepsi and chocolate day. (I think all soft drinks are now only available on a Friday, but not sure.)

What I did notice on the last few days I was there is that stacks more flavoured milk is being bought and more juices and flavoured waters and iced teas. I know these also contain sugar and additives, but I would much rather my boys drink chocolate milk or iced tea than Pepsi or another soft drink.

I thought it interesting that the changes were student led.

I like the taste of it, but never buy it. Don't need it, and don't want it, and sure as hell won't fall for their advertising. Gimmee water - from the tap. I'll buy the no-name water in the bottle once in a while. Not evian or all these similar w.a.n.k.e.r scams for top dollar.

Nup. None of the above have any effect on me.

But, this doesn't mean I don't buy stuff; I do - just not the products that are bombarding the waves relentlessly.

In fact, in most cases, ads are a total pain-in-the-@rse, an insult to your intelligence and turn you (me) off with their constant repetition and BS themes.

We saw 3 caramel egg ads in ONE ad break tonight. The same ad. :mad:

Will never ever buy that product now because of this. Will it decrease the standard of my life not to succumb to the ad? Not likely.

I don't drink coke - because the ads p.i.s.s me off. I don't eat Maccas or Subway (sorry Geoff) etc because the ads p.i.s.s me off, and they repeat them every 10 minutes. That latest Subway ad where the people are dancing on the beach- I've seen it about 100 hundred times this week. :mad: and I don't even watch a lot of tv. It's a disgrace, and they've lost me forever. Couldn't care less how good the food is.

Ironically, advertising is STILL influencing your buying decisions.;)

No affect on me.

Plenty of effect on the average penguins obviously. They seem to not be able to make an informed decision about too much in life I guess.

Our drink fridge is supplied by Coke, so you have to stock it with their product. You have no choice; it's either Schweppes or Coke. This particluar Club is a Coke Club.

We have a drink fridge full of all sorts of different flavours - including Powerade (also cr@p) and bottled water (getting warmer....).

It is a self-serve fridge. And guess what sells the most? Coke and Powerade. Tah-Dah!

"Hey, but it tastes so good, and the ads are really persuasive. I can't help myself; I know it'll rot my teeth, make me more thirsty and make me fat, but I just can't help myself..those ads are contolling my head."

Now, I have thought very seriously about holding a gun to the head of every customer as they stand at the fridge pondering their decision, and coax them into buying water or else die (either from obesity, or my hand), but if I shot them it would not be right, I suppose.

Amazingly, even though I am confronted with the sight of the fridge filled with Coke each day I am here, I am yet to buy a bottle.

What am I doing wrong? Pleeese help me; I soo want to be like everyone else.

Hi BayView,

Perhaps the affect on you was from a seller rather than a consumer's POV? Perhaps the ads persuaded you that other people would want to purchase these items?

Been a while since Marketing 101, but if I remember correctly a successful ad demonstrates the following: it must catch attention, attract interest, promote desire and stimulate action. The ad should appeal to both the people who would buy and to the people who would sell. There are, after all, only a limited amount of shelf, or in this case refrigerator, space.

Cheers,

e

I don't see too many adverts because we zip through them on the IQ box generally, or go to the loo, or make a coffee or whatever.

Of the ones that I do see, I find it interesting that whilst I love the ad, I often have no idea what the product is. There is an ad on now with a dog that opens the glove box and puts his tongue on a cold can of "something" and his tongue stretches a long way and he turns and gives a funny "oops" look.

There was an ad a few years back where the city was turning to desert as a car drove through it. It was an ad for a four wheel drive I suppose. Alex Lloyd "You Were Amazing" was played in the background so the music and graphics were easy to listen to and watch, but I have no idea what car they were pushing.

Some of the most memorable adverts (for me) are great to watch and listen to, but I have no idea what the products are.

So it seems that in some ways, some advertising misses its mark completely.

And I wouldn't drink Coke willingly no matter how they advertise it. But trying to convince my 13 year old that it is rot gut is much harder. Nothing to do with the advertising, and more to do with the addictive amount of sugar in it.

There was an ad a few years back where the city was turning to desert as a car drove through it. It was an ad for a four wheel drive I suppose. Alex Lloyd "You Were Amazing" was played in the background so the music and graphics were easy to listen to and watch, but I have no idea what car they were pushing.

That's because, Wylie, you weren't thinking about buying a new 4WD at the time you saw the ad. If you're not in the market for a new car, it's not likely new car ads will grab your attention. But imagine if you had said earlier that day: 'Geez, our old car is pretty clapped out. Wouldn't it be nice to buy a big guzzling 4WD.' You would have paid close attention to that ad then. And when the 15 sec retail ad followed the brand ad with a special price deal if you buy NOW you would have thought harder about it.

Advertisers (and media strategists) do their best to avoid wastage in media schedules. The carefully select particular programs for particular ads because they offer the best chance of connecting with the desired target. That's why commercials in the footy will be different fom commercials in, say, Desperate Housewives. But inevitably, there is some wastage i.e. some people watching Friday night footy aren't going to be in the market for a pizza new set of shock absorbers for their car.

Scott

Back