An item to buy only once for life

Hiya

I am interested to hear if you have bought a fabulous item which has lasted for a long, long time...maybe FOR LIFE:eek:

Or even you have inherited from grandma/grandpa:p

So throw it out here...kitchen ware, electrical appliances (brand name please), clothing, shoes, etc etc, etc...

I have a jumper my grandma gave me when I was 12 and I still have it though I'm banned from wearing it as it's threadbare and full of holes but it's lasted!

Our fully working electrolux fridge is about 8 years old which I think it ancient for a fridge. A little red AM/FM radio from the 80's, no idea of the brand. My husband has a Marshall valve amp that is the same vintage as him (1980). Canon film point and shoot camera from the early 90's. A lot of my kitchen utensils are from my mum when she first moved out of home. They were ugly colours, but they're back in fashion again now :D

Just trying to think what else - mainly clothes for me as I hate shopping. I only recently updated my facebook profile picture and I'm wearing a shirt that I was also wearing in another profile picture from about 2008 and that shirt was just a cheapie too!

Parents have an Engel fridge which I found out was ~40-50 years old (they got it second hand in the late 80's and it was old then).

My Sidchrome toolkit is only ~10 years old but I expect it to last forever. It still looks new.

I'm into family history and keep everything. I have some lovely things that have been in my family for generations. Jewellery from ggg grandparents. My favourite is a biscuit barrell that is over 100 years old and just beautiful.

Other more modern stuff - still use the fridge and bed from when i first moved out. Both are more than 20 years old. My clock radio is over 30 years old. I have lots of cutlery and kitchen gadgets that were my grandmothers. A lot of my plates are hand me downs from my mum and grandmother.

I have new dinner sets sitting in boxes, but cant see the point in opening as the others are just as good.

I have a hammer that was bought for me when I was about sixteen . It's been used and abused for the last 32 years and still good . Estwing , made in USA .

We also have cake tins we use that are from my wife's grandparents who are long gone and we use them all the time .

My father used to joke that he had had the same axe for the last 70 years only it had had 5 new handles and two new heads !

I've got one of these- inherited- probably 50+ years old- still going strong:

spiral screwdriver.png

I have a rainbow coloured Murano vase that my husband and I bought together in a funky second hand shop in Paddington, Brisbane when we were engaged. You can position it to reveal different colours to suit changing decor. Will never part with it and never seen another as nice.
I inherited all my grandmas cool appliances (sunbeam toaster, mixmaster, etc) but the only thing still working is old bernina sewing machine, possibly because I very rarely sew. :p It was manufactured in Switzerland in 1973.

Italian boots I bought on special 20 years ago and have worn most days during winter all that time. Still lookin' good.
Also, a monsoon velvet skirt.
And a handmade/home-made velvet jacket that I bought at the markets about 15
years ago.
And a white 60's coat that I picked up around the same time - before 'vintage' was fashionable.

There must be still plenty of Hills Hoists out there that have lasted through multiple owners of the house. ;-)

I have a wind up mantle clock that was a wedding present to my grandmother in 1929. Works a treat and and accurate to a couple of minutes a month. Tells the time, needs no battery or mains connection, all brass mechanism and no reason why it will not be going in another 85 years.

Hiya

I am interested to hear if you have bought a fabulous item which has lasted for a long, long time...maybe FOR LIFE:eek:

Or even you have inherited from grandma/grandpa:p

So throw it out here...kitchen ware, electrical appliances (brand name please), clothing, shoes, etc etc, etc...

- We have the old overhead cupboards from our old 1900s house mounted on the walls in our workshop.
- some very old hand tools that DH has from his father that are prob 40yrs old
- some silver splades/sporks
- a teddy bear from when I was little
- antique bed that I bought when i was 18 and restored
- antique chest of drawers that I bought when I was 19 and restored
- I have a framed charcoal portrait of myself at age 5 (34yrs ago)

Back