An item to buy only once for life

- We still have my Dads teddy from when he was a child 60+ years ago.
- I only recently got rid of my inherited lawn mower, purchased second hand when my Dad moved here in the late 70s. I couldn't repair it any more.
- As to purchases, I still have some small odds and sods I bought as a kid, but it's mostly the books and toys I loved as a kid I'm hoarding :D

I have a leather and gold leaf evening clutch from my great aunt bought in Florence in the 1920s.
I also have a portrait of my g-g-granny who died in the 1870s (at only 28 poor thing after having 5 kids).
Lots of plates, cutlery etc from family and a lovely Aquamarine brooch from my grandma, who died when I was very young, that I wore on my wedding and so did my daughter. So a lovely new family tradition growing there :)

We have a big Japanese made dinner set (it's gorgeous) that my mum's parents gave her in 1985 when she got married :)

Also have a no name brand watch that I got 15 years ago in high school. Not sure why I've not lost it as in between I believe I've lost 3 other watches....

We have a big Japanese made dinner set (it's gorgeous) that my mum's parents gave her in 1985 when she got married :)
My dad was in the Navy and traveled a lot to Asia etc when I was very little (hence their divorce).

One of his gifts to my Mother was a "Noritake" fine China dinner set.

The cups had a silhouette of a Japanese lady's head in the base of each one in a dark charcoal grey colour.

I still have that dinner set and it has never been used. I guess it would be 50 years old.

My parents have a manual device that chops, slices, dices, shreds (and does a great job) and all the usual late night info claims that they would have purchased mid 80's and is still going strong. Although it has chopped, sliced, diced, shredded etc a fair bit of skin over the years. I doubt it would survive six months in my house, with a policy of 'if it doesn't go in the dishwasher it goes in the bin'.

They've also got the VCR they purchased early 80's. I remember they paid $1000 for it, and got laughed at as it was VCR and not betamax. Although it hasn't seen much action in the last 5-10 years.

I've probably had my Dyson vacuum 10+ years and is still going strong.

My Sony 'flat screen' tv purchase around 99 is still going strong. It's a CRT but had a revolutionary flat screen rather than bulbous screen. Don't watch a lot of TV, so that may explain it's longevity.

I've got a Westinghouse fridge that is 10+ years old - which according to another poster makes it a stayer.

I have a few antique pieces of furniture, the oldest being over 150 years old.

None of my appliances or clothes etc. have lasted very long sadly.

My husband still wears an X-Files t-shirt that he got for his 13th birthday (he's 29).

What to buy

I have a rainbow coloured Murano vase that my husband and I bought together in a funky second hand shop in Paddington, Brisbane when we were engaged. You can position it to reveal different colours to suit changing decor. Will never part with it and never seen another as nice.
I inherited all my grandmas cool appliances (sunbeam toaster, mixmaster, etc) but the only thing still working is old bernina sewing machine, possibly because I very rarely sew. :p It was manufactured in Switzerland in 1973.[/QUOTE

Hiya
I visited the island of Murano as a poor student many years ago:)

On m next visit , I am going to get a vase just like this:)

Brand names

Hiya

It will be good if some of the items have more info like brand names etc so we can see and compare how good they really are...:)

I have a rainbow coloured Murano vase that my husband and I bought together in a funky second hand shop in Paddington, Brisbane when we were engaged. You can position it to reveal different colours to suit changing decor. Will never part with it and never seen another as nice.
I inherited all my grandmas cool appliances (sunbeam toaster, mixmaster, etc) but the only thing still working is old bernina sewing machine, possibly because I very rarely sew. :p It was manufactured in Switzerland in 1973.[/QUOTE

Hiya
I visited the island of Murano as a poor student many years ago:)

On m next visit , I am going to get a vase just like this:)
What a great idea! That would be so much fun. Is it a nice Island to visit also?

I have a few things but as my mum and grandmum are still going strong, I suspect it will be a long time before I inherit much.

However - I do have a set of pottery beer mugs my father had made up. Each mug deceptively holds an entire long neck of beer so I tend to put flowers in them nowadays.

Have a costume jewellery, aquamarine brooch of my grandmum's ... hubby has a german dropsaw that must be at least 30+ years old and still going strong. Have some beautiful "owl" pewtar salt and pepper shakers that belonged to some great great great aunt.

Probably biggest surprise is a Fantastic Furniture lounge suite bought nearly 15 years ago - still in great condition ... and so comfortable to fall asleep on.

Back