An item to buy only once for life

Firearms . I have a small collection of antique firearms that are well over 100 years old . You could use them but I don't .

Most guns will last a long time .

I have a pair of RM William boots which are over 10years old. I expect they will last another 10+years.

I bought a new Akubra hat 2 years ago. My last one was about 10years old as well. I have kept it as a 'boat hat'. Its nearly white, has a number of large holes but it fits my head perfectly, keeps the sun off and remains a perfectly usable hat - it just makes me look a bit homeless... which actually suits my style.

So not 1 for life. But a pretty long time all the same.

Hiya

I am interested to hear if you have bought a fabulous item which has lasted for a long, long time...maybe FOR LIFE:eek:

My ppor and 50yrs young...My dog,awesome.

Never bought much material wise but i have some good stuff from hard garbage and gifts from friends.

Memories,priceless.

Kathmandu backpack has it for at least 15 years now, use every day and still
as good as the day I bought it, zip, material still in mint condition...this one will last a life time....they don't made the same quality any more...

My North face Gore Tex Jacket, probably most Gore Tex based jacket, these will last a lifetime but not cheap.

Solomon and Merrell Gore Tex shoes they last donkey years combine with vibram soles, these vibram soles can last decades

but these are not average every day stuff, they are high quality upper end

Santa Clause bought me a Honda Z 50j minibike when I was 9 in 1976. I was on it all the time for a few years till I progressed to an 80cc and my brother took it over. After a long while, dad sold it to a mate of his and his kids all learnt to ride on it as well.

About ten years ago I spotted it way up the back of a shed, owned by the bloke who dad had sold this little bike to many years ago. It was a wreck and birds had been using it as a toilet. So I offered to buy it back, as this little bike ment a lot to me as it started me off on a life long hobby and obsession. He said he'd sell it to me for a carton of beer, but I managed to talk him up to $100. :D

This was the little Honda when I bought it home.

I spent some time doing it up. Pulled it all to bits and got everything working. Replaced what was buggered and fixed what was broken. It now runs great. This is the bike now.

Turns out these little bikes are a bit in demand. Especially if they have a compliance plate which means in theory it could be registered and driven on a public road. It would be worth a $1,000 easily in it's current state or a lot more if I got it registered. I won't ever sell it and one day it will be mounted inside a glass and wood cabinet in my loungeroom.

See ya's.

1928799_51679056021_7402_n.jpg

Pink Asics.jpg

When I was sponsored by Asics many moons ago, Mr. Kayano made me 3x pairs of custom coloured shoes. I used 1 set to race in for a season, the other 2 pairs I have tucked away. They are worth nothing to anyone else, but to me they are a great gift and a memory.

This is me, doing Hawaii Ironman wearing them for their first race.

pinkboy

How long ago was that PB? How long do shoes normally last runners?

Shoes are only really good to run in for 500km ish. Some professional runners will buy a new pair of shoes every month or so. Usually they will have 2-3 pairs and rotate them so the cushioning in the sole completely relaxes before hitting the road again.

pinkboy

When I got my first car I bought a set each of imperial and metric K-Mart branded open/ring spanners with my meagre earnings, figuring I'd replace them when they broke and I wasn't. Over the years of building and fixing various cars (that seemed like a good idea at the time but no) those spanners have routinely been mercilessly belted with the big copperhead hammer my brother made in high-school metalwork around the same time (I probably should return that one day) and levered with unfeasibly long pipes .

That was 1986, I still have all of them and, apart from some wear on the chrome from their regular beatings, they are still 100% (and I'm still broke).

Back in the 1980's we used to own a video shop and promo T shirts came with Crocodile Dundee video, still got them :)

I have worn them quite a lot, they are a bit faded but they are tough shirts :D

Hey pinkboy,

Where were you placed in the Hawaii Ironman?

Have you competed in H.I again?

Btw with pink hair as well,you must get some photo's.

I had an off day that day. I trained well right up to the leading week, then was sick a few days before. Mid field finish.

I tried to qualify last year at Ironman South Africa, but 4yr hiatus from Ironman came to haunt me 10km into the run. I rode a bit too urgent after a poor swim also. All adds up and it's a fine line between going well and blowing up spectacularly!

I retired the pink gear in 2009 after 10yrs. Now only a legacy and a legend! :cool: ! Just cycling these days.

pinkboy

Well done,it's mentally satisfying to push yourself beyond your limits.

Btw keep cycling past KFC,that crap will kill ya!

I sold/gave away huge amounts of stuff when I downsized about 7 years ago, but still kept my grandmothers Royal Doulton biscuit barrel, a beautiful smoked blown glass dish from grandmother too and another very old ceramic flower vase. Most unusual. I also saved a teaset my Father gave to my Mother of the finest white porcelain cups on dark wood saucers. Absolutely fabulous. Old stuff generally doesnt appeal to me, I like new and different. Just bought a brand new car and buy new clothes and jewellery all the time and give the half used ones to others who can use them, because I can.

About 20 years ago, when I was preparing to move out of home for the first time, I got a box and started filling it with various essential 'home' stuff. Most of it wasn't at all expensive and I always thought I'd 'upgrade' it all when I was older.

Some of things I still have from that first collection of 'house stuff' that I use everyday are;

* A set of Arcosteel saucepans (think I paid about $100 for them new)
* A Tiffany brand :)D yep, seriously, that really cheapo brand) electric beater that I bought from a supermarket for about $10. All these years later, it still shows no signs of giving up (touch wood)!
* Sheridan sheet set

I also have a Guess brand watch that I bought in 1997 when I had never heard of the brand. Apart from putting a new battery in it every now and then it's still going strong.

I still use the rock maple solid wood bed and dresser set I bought in 1977.
The 1990 floor model tv is still going strong.
Some of the dishes I use used to be my grandmothers..probably from the 1940's.
My mother gave me her electric pancake griddle in 1980...which she bought in 1952. We used it yesterday :)

I still use the potato pot I bought in 1977. The handle is missing, but it has sentimental value.The tupperware measuring cups from 1980 (chewed handle by our German Shepherd puppy, we had then) are used everyday.

My canada sandals are about 15 years old..been repaired a couple of times, but I love them.

Up until a couple of years ago, the clothes dryer purchased in 1968 by my grandparents, and was given to me as a wedding gift in 1982, worked great. We sold the matching washing machine in 1990 (it had a small leak)

The trunk/chest we use as a coffee table was made by my father..in 1950's?

Back