An item to buy only once for life

Hiya

I am interested to hear if you have bought a fabulous item which has lasted for a long, long time...maybe FOR LIFE:eek:

Or even you have inherited from grandma/grandpa:p

So throw it out here...kitchen ware, electrical appliances (brand name please), clothing, shoes, etc etc, etc...

Antique watches?

I am interested to hear if you have bought a fabulous item which has lasted for a long, long time...maybe FOR LIFE

The first thing (aside from a 20c packet of chips from the school canteen, etc) that I ever bought with my own money was in 1984 and it was an Alvey fishing reel (2nd hand) for $29 (I had been collecting aluminium cans - iirc 80c a kg was the price I got). Anyway, almost 30 years later I still have the reel and it still works perfect (as does my grandfather's Alvey which be bought in the 1950's. He died before I was born, but I was given it about the same time I bought my reel).

Best one-off purchase, a good watch. Buy a top Swiss made brand Chronometer. Will last forever (and two days), never needs batteries or winding.

When I got married my lovely wife bought me a vintage Rolex chronometer (1972 Datejust, steel and gold, on a jubilee bracelet*).

They need servicing - cost of a short holiday tbh.

And, also tbh, I have owned $100 Seikos that keep better time.

But you don't get a wedding ring made to match a Seiko (well, I wouldn't).

*My other possible watch was an Omega Speedmaster Professional (known as the "Moonwatch". But meh, Omega).

Back