Any one ever purchased a haunted house?

LOL, so ghosts only pick people with open minds?

Ive heard it all now. ROTFLMAO !

Do you think you have an open mind regarding this subject?

Funny how people are getting a bit uptight with my opinion on this and taking the moral high ground of having an "open mind". Is that some sort of moralistic trophy or something?

Nobody is uptight here except you it seems. I'm happy to have an open mind.

My mind is as open as anyones. It's also open to logic and fact.

Now, a ghost story of my own.
I do one day a week maintenance at a guesthouse and room 22 is renowned for being haunted. To the point where some regular guests refuse to be allocated this room.

The other day the manager asked me to check the lock on the door because the key was stuck. So I try to take the key out of the lock and it's stuck.
Jiggle, jiggle jiggle, still stuck. Jiggle some more. Stop, then grab it and it comes out easy.
Put the key back in and stuck again. Repeat above sequence and it comes out easy.
Did this again and it still got stuck and had to follow the same as I did before.

My open mind thought, oooowww beauty, a ghost is struggling with me for the key !
Then reality kicked in and it's just a new key that has not been worn in enough yet.
Totally logical explanation but the manager and regular guests all swear I had an encounter with the ghost and warned me not to go there.

LOL ! Funny.:D

Now wylie, my mind is still open to ghosts and I promise to report back here when I see one ok.

I'm waiting with baited breath :rolleyes:

Smoke alarm in hallway went off tonight for about 10 seconds for no reason. All appliances off, no one was cooking, not a trace of smoke in the house to set the thing off.

Am I just going crazy in the head?

@Fence, I share the same view as yours.
I have this debate with friends every time this topic comes up. Yet to come across a person who has any 'proof'.

Yeah I was told again today that Im not "open" to "it" so "it" wont "happen" to me.

LOL.

Fair dinkum, it's so scary.

Yet I and my wife are so open to experiencing a ghost and want to have it happen so much that we do genuinely go in with open minds, and pursue hauted houses and places, but it still is yet to happen !

Easily fobbed off as not being open is such a cop out.

facts are facts and ghosts are just that, ghosts with no real presence.

Not a haunted house, but pretended to be...

My mate was renting out his house and the tenants signed 12 month lease.
not even 2 months in, they wanted to get out of the lease by formally stating in writing that there was a ghost in the house that made noise all night and they couldn't sleep. That they were worried about their daughter in the house !The emails back and forth led to a "report!!" from the local priest who confirmed "the ghost", and also wrote a character witness for the tenant.

Long story short - no ghost, it was the expanding wood in the roof due to summer heat making the noise and contracting at night (or something like that). They just wanted to get out of the lease as they bought a house :D

I believe in ghosts because I've personally experienced it (nothing bad, in fact she was pretty friendly). My dad has also had an experience. His story is freaky.

Hubby doesn't believe. He said the only way he will ever believe is if he experienced it himself. You can just imagine our conversations lol.

I would never buy a deceased estate no matter how cheap it was. Not even as an investment property.

I would never buy a deceased estate no matter how cheap it was. Not even as an investment property.

It's okay if its got a Not Haunted sign at front though.

picture.php

It's funny just seeing this thread. I was watching a series on pay-tv called Haunting Australia and the first 3x episodes were on Geelong Gaol. I'd totally forgotten I actually stayed there for an 18th Bday many years ago until seeing it and I was totally intrigued and recorded the series. They called it one of the top-5 most haunted places they'd ever investigated. It was a good watch, with paranormal folk from all over the world attending.

I remember it had a very strange feeling and hearing lots of bangs all night (we were all very drunk so not much has stuck and I wish I hadn't been now, would love to go back at night) and the bell kept on ringing throughout the night when we were trying to sleep which I was waiting for in the series but that never happened. I also remember someone getting locked into a cell and the firies coming to open up for him, Most probably his mistake but I'm not sure those door locks work anymore? who knows. I can't remember what else might have happened but it sure was a cool night.

It has a very interesting history with even young girls having to use one section of the actual inmates prison to be housed when they were homeless troublemakers. Apparently there were about 100 of them crammed in there when it was built for only 20 or so. Lots of murders, shankings and violence throughout it's long history. They didn't even have toilets or water in the cells, I was wondering how it would have been to need to go at night and having to hold it.

Anyhow, just had to share that. I'm onto the Aradale mental asylum now. What a place that is! It's funny because I was thinking recently, more than half of the world believe without a doubt that ghosts, spirits and reincarnation are a given, whearas the Western world has scattered beliefs and total disbelief.

Love this thread. I don't believe in ghosts, but as Mulder's poster in X Files said, "I want to believe". We have a monster under the stairs at Nanny's house. He's a friendly green monster with red eyes and a red tongue. So funny watching 3yo Toby bolt up the stairs 3 at a time so the monster doesn't get him. He's not really scared, he just wants to be scared.

Well ofcourse. It's very hard to believe in something that goes against scientific explantion no matter what the topic unless it's proven to you so I don't blame anyone for being sceptical. It's natural. But then again, so are spirits (depending who you ask) no wait. They're SUPER natural [yeah, great joke man...] ?

I've had some experiences throughout my life that defy any scientific explanation and even I sometimes struggle with the concept of believing but they happened. One of these experiences very fond to my Wife & I.

Awesome thread. It sounds like the gist of it all is people have seen or heard things that they can?t explain so they wonder if maybe it?s ghosts. Other people are sceptical, but until the believers get an explanation for what they saw or heard they are going to stick with their belief. Which is all fair enough.

It does pay to keep in mind though that the human brain is an absolutely hopeless and untrustworthy device for observation.

Most people if they are distracted by counting passes in a basketball game won't notice a man in a gorilla costume walk on court, beat his chest, and walk off...

Most people speaking to a receptionist over the counter won't notice anything if the receptionists ducks down to pick up something from below the counter and a different person reappears instead of the original receptionist.

Whole parts of pictures can change before your eyes and you won't notice anything. And that's just Change Blindness. Throw in a few hundred other cognitive distortions that happen and you'll start to get an idea of how bad the human brain is at doing its job.

People watching a film of a car crash will judge the cars as going faster and will recall broken glass at the crash site depending on whether or not they are asked "How fast were the cars going when they smashed into each other?" and "How fast were the cars going when the collided into each other?".

The brain is great at filling in the blanks too. Say you dreamt of a car crash but initially you don't remember what color the cars were. Then you see a car crash the next day with a white car. Your brain then fills in the blank and tells you your dream was of a white car. And you're left thinking wow that's amazing, when really your brain is just being a dodgy worker and lazily just going "oh yeah that information will do, I'm going to chuck that into the memory from the dream now because I forgot what was really there to start with".

Throw in examples of how poorly people perform with picking people out of line ups... look it up, we are all ridiculously hopeless at it.

And light bulb memories like september 11 where you can recall so much detail of the day you saw it all happen... sorry to tell you but 99% of that detail is your brain just making **** up. Yet it convinces you that those details are 100% correct...

Then throw in the fact that your brain just makes stuff up and tells you that's what you're seeing, like where the optic nerve crosses the retina and the brain just goes "hey I see the stuff around that spot, I'm just going to fill in the blank with whatever is around that blind spot" and that's a constant thing. Your brain is constantly deliberately deluding you into seeing things that aren't there. Throw in other things the brain does like Mach lines which is the brain just making up arbitrary distinctions between different shades of colors, etc... etc... etc... etc... and all the other delusions/optic illusions.

And lets not even get started with what the brain can just make up with the right chemical environment, hallucinations both visual and auditory, etc...

Heck even chimpanzees vastly outperform humans when it comes to some number recognition tasks.

The point is that the reason why people have experiences of ghosts but no documented proof is because those experiences rely on the brain which is unreliable, and proof relies on something tangible and falsifiable.

The reason we have the scientific method is because it regulates this lazy unreliable thing called our brain, and tests its observations through controlled falsifiable ways.

For now let's all look for the most parsimonious explanations before we invent another dimensional realm full of ghosts and spirits crossing over into our dimension for reasons unknown in order to explain away what really in most instances boils down to brain farts and group think.

Sorry for the lecture, a 4 year psychology degree has left me with a whole heap of boring information that people really aren?t interested in hearing :)

"For now let's all look for the most parsimonious explanations before we invent another dimensional realm"

Yep, I agree. So what is the most parsimonious explanation for those footsteps I heard?

Back