any social workers here?

As of late it's kinda been dawning on me that the jobs I've been doing all my life so far just aren't what I'm supposed to be doing. I know that loads of folk can say that. But I want to enjoy my career, not despise each day. I believe that is the reason my goal for the past ten years has been financial freedom.

I'm 33 and have no quals. I like helping others and love animals. Have worked at RSPCA part time and it wad tough work.. Very sad job with few warm fuzzy monents.

Was homeless from early teens and taken in by social workers and have fond memories of one in particular. Think I might like and be good at this.. I'm very approachable. A good listener. Great at being empathetic and giving first hand advice.

Is there anyone out there who may have some sort of advice? Anything at all. Other career suggestions? Pay rates etc (I am aware nothing worth doing pays well in general)

Thank you

Geez man. Stalker?

If you must know, my wife is a tadd older than me and I average our age. It is however somewhat erratic. Now hopefully you have something to offer. If not, please leave the thread to those who do

Hi investor2009,

I'd look for a job that you enjoy doing,pay is secondary imo.

Work within your means to have the best of both worlds.

Cheers Spades.

A friend of mine is a social worker. I know he gets paid around the $50K pa mark. Not much, but he does find it rewarding. He was completely floored when he found out what I earn!

Thanks S!

Just the adcice I gace my Wife recently. She's much happier and working less hours

I'm just not sure what it is I want to do..? Especially if I go study, hate to waste years if it turns out I really don't like the job.

I work in community services and my role is very social worker-like. I also regularly liaise with support and social workers and their clients.

Typically a social work role can differ quite a lot in experience and pay depending on the type of clients that you work with. The two big areas are aged care and mental health - both of which have their own difficulties in the client group.

What else would you like to know?

Geez man. Stalker?

If you must know, my wife is a tadd older than me and I average our age. It is however somewhat erratic. Now hopefully you have something to offer. If not, please leave the thread to those who do

If you must know, I have a very good knack for numbers and remembering such. For example, I have 100's of mobile numbers in my phone, and can recite most of them if asked. I associate certain number combinations to peoples names. I don't know how it works, I just know.

Its not stalking if its on a public forum for one, and second, I have followed a few of your posts as you have raised a few questions over the past few months that I like to know the answers to as well, and you are in a similar position to myself.

For the record, I am 30.

As for social worker, I cant help at all.

pinkboy

Thanks for your time Bum

I'm more intrested in helping younger folk, mainly because I've been there myself I think. Altgough there are probably loads of different roles even witgin this sector?

Thanks for your time Bum

I'm more intrested in helping younger folk, mainly because I've been there myself I think. Altgough there are probably loads of different roles even witgin this sector?

There are if we're talking about broadening the criteria to support work as well. While I think there are probably "loads of different roles", I really don't there are many actual 'good' roles (personal opinion).

There are a lot of pretty rough social/support worker gigs, often with the extra kicker than they pay you next to nothing. It may be hard to get the role that you want.

There are a lot of positives though, with lots of roles that are part-time and flexible hours, and not as much competition for these ones. I myself work 2 part-time jobs to fill up my 5 days a week.

Another idea off the bat would be to do well in property and then set up something worth while.
My main goal is to reach a certain level of passive income and then dedicate the remainder of my years and accumulative wealth to good causes, especially helping homeless kids and disabled people struggling to gain employment .

I would also incorporate my creativity into the strategy as I would need that outlet to pass some energy, which would probably involve food of some description

So at the moment I dedicate my time aggressively to a job that pays well but I don't particularly enjoy but am motivated towards what I can help people with in the future

Most investors usually have a time limit they can see, to when they would be finished with work and have a heap of disposable income so I challenge you to aim high with your investing strategy, set yourself up with strong financial foundations and then create something
extraordinary to help those less fortunate

http://nothingbutnets.net/

I have worked here

http://www.charcoallane.com.au/about/

Hi I'm a social worker. I manage one program & work in another so have a diverse role. You do need a degree to be a social worker, however if you want to work with youth then you could become a youth worker by firstly completing a course through TAFE & if u want to go further with study you can. My staff work with families to sort out issues with their young person to prevent youth homelessness and I work with homeless youth (1 worker programme). We also return kids to school, get jobs & reconnect them to their community. There's never enough money but we are very useful in finding or pleading for things. The pay is not that great for the work we do but it probably has something to do with the term welfare, rather than football and the majority of workers are women.

When I'm On my way! death bed, I won't be caring about money but about the people I love & if it's a slow death, the people who gave me the privilege of sharing their lives even for a short time.:D

One thing that has got me thinking is does social work really work. Are there any statistics that show the benefits of someone giving advice?

I think most people just work their own problems out eventually. Look at our jails and you see they are pretty well packed out - could this mean we need more social workers or less?

Back