any social workers here?

AKA Benjamin Button (how curious). :D

Seriously though it is difficult to get paid work. Lots of agencies depend on volunteers due to lack of funding. I did a social work certificate and did some work with neglected kids and with Lifeline. I found it very frustrating (due to nothing being done) and wanted to take all the neglected kids home.
I left that and went to Uni to become a teacher.

What are you really interested in?

What are you most passionate about?

What would you do if money wasn't a concern?

One thing that has got me thinking is does social work really work. Are there any statistics that show the benefits of someone giving advice?

I think most people just work their own problems out eventually. Look at our jails and you see they are pretty well packed out - could this mean we need more social workers or less?

Social Workers don't 'treat' people as such - they don't diagnose, prescribe, do physical or mental health assessments, conduct therapy, or councel clients with complex psychological problems.

Their's is more of a support role - basic councelling, linking people to the correct agencies and resources, acting as advocates, fascilitators, advisors, they problem solve, report, run programs, etc.

Actual mental health and physical treatment and assessment is carried out by doctors, nurses, and psychologists.

In almost all cases the SW is part of a multidisciplinary team - apart from the above can also include educators, occupational therapists and carers.

investor2009, doing TAFE p/t while working as a carer or youth worker is a good start - you get to see if it's for you and you earn an income at the same time.

If after doing some TAFE you see that you like it you can get some credits for Uni if you decide to go that way.

Just a suggestion.

Last edited:
Your last sentence rings vibrantly with me. I have the same morrels and believe that we're here to help others. In speaking with those who've been to the other side it's a most common message

Just heading into work now and will read through in more detail later

Thank you for this :)

Hi I'm a social worker. I manage one program & work in another so have a diverse role. You do need a degree to be a social worker, however if you want to work with youth then you could become a youth worker by firstly completing a course through TAFE & if u want to go further with study you can. My staff work with families to sort out issues with their young person to prevent youth homelessness and I work with homeless youth (1 worker programme). We also return kids to school, get jobs & reconnect them to their community. There's never enough money but we are very useful in finding or pleading for things. The pay is not that great for the work we do but it probably has something to do with the term welfare, rather than football and the majority of workers are women.

When I'm On my way! death bed, I won't be caring about money but about the people I love & if it's a slow death, the people who gave me the privilege of sharing their lives even for a short time.:D

Well it sure is funny how life works. I got the call at 4 pm Friday after just arriving home that I am now redundant. I'm only just getting over the initial shock now but only because it's new and "unsecure". Today though after running the numbers numerous times I'm really happy! Turns out I can take as long as I'd like off and the weekend feels even sweeter because it has no dreaded work, constantly shrinking timeline

After giving social work some thought I'm not sure it would be that spark I'm looking for. I even spoke with some friends about this whole thing and they think there are no jobs anyone loves and work is just work. I'm believing them at this point in time but now have the time to consider all possibilities. I feel as though it has been given to me for a reason at the right time.

The Wife had a good idea, maybe I can take part time casual small cobtract jobs because it would provide all I need for now. Cash top up's, casual work and not dreaded full time, I'd enjoy it cause any new job is good first up, and I get my time off

Life has a funny way of pushing u where you need to go. Taking the time to rejuvenate your batteries can be forced on you and we can either kick & scream and make it painful, or as you are doing seeing it as an opportunity.

Good luck with your future & I'm sure you'll find that you will be happier doing "your thing".

All the best

Jelsa

After giving social work some thought I'm not sure it would be that spark I'm looking for. I even spoke with some friends about this whole thing and they think there are no jobs anyone loves and work is just work.

I have to say, I genuinely like my job in community services, and would still be doing it even if I didn't need to at all. I've been offered some pretty lucrative contracts given my legal background, but for some reason I've stayed working in the sector - shrug.

But your friends might be right in that part-time/casual would be the way to go. 3 days a week of mine are quite solid at one centre, but I've spent the other 2 working days a week rotating through other sector roles, and even some teaching - and its been great.

Update

I saw a job in the Saturday paper thats in the same line of work that I've been doing and sent my cv thinking nothing would come of it. Now I have an interview today.. And I'm not sure I even want it.. Not sure what to do because I kinda wanted time off (even though I am getting bored already) and I'm not sure I"ll last and don't want to muck people around. I"d ideally like to go part time/casual. I wonder if this is an option and or if the boss would like that?

I've been thinking about my career and have realised that playing music is what I do best by far and what I enjoy most so am happy doing just this for now. The money is enough to pay my outgoings but no more rhan thus (which is pretty good really) so all I need is part time work and thats what I'm really after.

Maybe I should just tell this guy? I know the answer to that is obdviousl. Maybe I'm unsure because theres a chance to cash uo some more

I've been thinking about my career and have realised that playing music is what I do best by far and what I enjoy most so am happy doing just this for now. The money is enough to pay my outgoings but no more rhan thus (which is pretty good really) so all I need is part time work and thats what I'm really after.

Maybe I should just tell this guy? I know the answer to that is obdviousl. Maybe I'm unsure because theres a chance to cash uo some more

Why don't you teach music as well as play?

Teach from home?

We deal with social workers all the time due to our foster child.

Some are great - some aren't.

The turnover rate is really high. We're just about to meet our third case worker today - she's the third that we've had within the last three months.

It's a stressful job. The ones I deal with are overworked and probably underpaid.

Most are from the UK - I assume that they aren't able to attract enough locally.

The jobs can also be dangerous - the idea of rocking up to some of the houses they have to visit and some of the people they have to deal with (and without any security) is frightening.

All in all, I really respect and admire what they do - I wouldn't think twice about getting into their field of work though.

Cheers

Jamie

Thanks for the thought TPI. I appreciate it

My Wife always says that I wouldn't have the patience for it vut I have taught before and it was ok. The thing I didn't like is that most students didn't have the level of desire I do and I knew some were only there because somepne else was making them but you get that. I'm kinda keen except for two things. Mobey isn't fantastic. In saying that it's pretty normal to charge $40p/h and I dislike the idea of people coming over but maybe thats just paranoia

I will certainly put some more thought into it and maybe even place an ad out for trial

Why don't you teach music as well as play?

Teach from home?

We deal with social workers all the time due to our foster child.

Some are great - some aren't.

The turnover rate is really high. We're just about to meet our third case worker today - she's the third that we've had within the last three months.

It's a stressful job. The ones I deal with are overworked and probably underpaid.

Most are from the UK - I assume that they aren't able to attract enough locally.

The jobs can also be dangerous - the idea of rocking up to some of the houses they have to visit and some of the people they have to deal with (and without any security) is frightening.

All in all, I really respect and admire what they do - I wouldn't think twice about getting into their field of work though.

Cheers

Jamie

I believe some of those traits you noticed are specific to child protection social workers. I agree, I would be very cautious in recommending a position like that. I occasionally work on child protection matters and there is a similar rate of turnover over here in WA.

But then youth support work or something like housing support work is a different kettle of fish again. Others find aged care support really rewarding.

I believe some of those traits you noticed are specific to child protection social workers. I agree, I would be very cautious in recommending a position like that. I occasionally work on child protection matters and there is a similar rate of turnover over here in WA.

Yep you're right - I should have specified.

Cheers

Jamie

Well it sure is funny how life works. I got the call at 4 pm Friday after just arriving home that I am now redundant. I'm only just getting over the initial shock now but only because it's new and "unsecure". Today though after running the numbers numerous times I'm really happy! Turns out I can take as long as I'd like off and the weekend feels even sweeter because it has no dreaded work, constantly shrinking timeline

After giving social work some thought I'm not sure it would be that spark I'm looking for. I even spoke with some friends about this whole thing and they think there are no jobs anyone loves and work is just work. I'm believing them at this point in time but now have the time to consider all possibilities. I feel as though it has been given to me for a reason at the right time.

The Wife had a good idea, maybe I can take part time casual small cobtract jobs because it would provide all I need for now. Cash top up's, casual work and not dreaded full time, I'd enjoy it cause any new job is good first up, and I get my time off

Hey Investor2009, I give you top points for wishing to have a meaningful, helpful career, I have 10yrs+ experience in running youth services, working in youth crisis, outreach and adult mental health across NSW, and while fulfilling at times, I would strongly caution you against entering the industry without some major consideration. The work can be incredibly emotionally and mentally draining, the industry is poorly paid for what it is (I am responsible for peoples kids welfare and I get about same pay as roadwork lollipop guy), and the industry is a political football with constant churn of insecure funding and opportunities. It chews up and spits out perfectionists and ethical workers, I see you are married, be very careful that you can maintain professional boundaries, self care and a philosophical mindset or you can end up using the best of you up at work, leaving the personality/emotional dregs for your loved ones. Its pretty thankless and unsatisfying career, the average time in a role is supposedly about 2years, average burn out a few years longer. I strongly suggest trying out some volunteering in different roles to see if you like it, and if you can make a good earn playing music or something fulfilling/flexible/creative/lucrative do that and stay away from the sector.
I am done with it, burnt out, cynical and fed up, and out of this field asap, currently studying and getting a new business off the ground. Happy to provide any info specific to roles etc, i see you are in NT- should you wish to still work in sector there is quite a bit of demand for workers in some areas of the territory, should have decent job openings for some years to come. Good luck.

Thanks Stu for being completely honest. That really doesn't sound like fun at all, nor even rewarding. I was thinking that it would be very rare to have a fulfilling case where everything ended well and peoples lives were turned around but lives are much deeper than that and many people will never completely heal.

Thank you.

Well, I have 2 students booked for next week.. :eek: Just putting together my lessons. It's one thing playing guitar but another thing to teach I've learned. But it's fun learning how to tutor and hopefully I enjoy it

Only thing I'm kind of finding is that the vast majority of students can't make it during the day so there's my evenings gone. BUT, I've decided to only tutor 3 nights a week and play 2-3

Thanks again for the idea and I'll keep you posted

Back