Any thoughts on iPAD

I was reading up on the new iPad on the apple website a couple of days ago and it got me very interested in a iPad when they are released.

As I live 30 mins from town and have a 3 year old, we were going to pay in the vicinity of $800 for a head rest with a DVD built in to entertain "the child".

Now I'm thinking of scraping that idea and just getting an iPad as it can be used for so many other things.

I also did a search on iTablet which although I cnly scanned this one, it seems to be something similar but made by a British company.

I'm interested in peoples thoughts on the iPads.

What do you all think?

I don't think the iPad would be a good device for a child. Children are kind of rough with "toys", and I'm sure the delicate iPad would come off second best.

Also, wait for iPad 2.0 in 2011/2012.

What do you all think?
You mention it's for a child....the DVD player can play DVD's, what exactly will "the child" :)p) be doing on the iPad? What are the "other things" that you will use it for?

Also I'm sure I've seen headrest DVD players for a lot cheaper than $800.

I mean seriously if the kid can hold an iPad can't he just as easily hold a portable DVD player?

$90 is a heck of a lot cheaper than the iPad is likely to be:
http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4b7b99f3039f6d94273fc0a87e010717/Product/View/GE4203

Or depending on what "other" uses the device is to fulfil, consider a laptop or netbook. Around about the same price but with more functionality (except for the cool touchscreen)

Also, with all the hype, you'd think that Apple were the first ones to launch a tablet "PC" (it's not really a PC but an iPod Touch on steriods, from what I've read). I was demo-ing tablet PCs at trade shows in 2005/2006!! (Alright, to hire one for a week, it cost me more than an iPad, but hey!)

The iPad is just Apple's version of a tablet. Like all their other gear it carries the brand name tax. There will be dozens of competing devices coming out this year with better specs and/or cheaper prices. These are probably more suited to throwing in the back seat with your child.

The iPad is just Apple's version of a tablet. Like all their other gear it carries the brand name tax. There will be dozens of competing devices coming out this year with better specs and/or cheaper prices. These are probably more suited to throwing in the back seat with your child.

Thanks, thats the sort of answer I was looking for.

Thanks to everyone for their answers.

I was thinking of an iPad/tablet type device so that it could also be used for other things. My hubbie sometimes goes away with work and it would be good for him to use on trips. We have a laptop but it currently is being used as the home computer (the PC died) and it is a bit heavy.

I also liked the idea of using it like a digital picture frame when it wasnt being used for the child or other things.

I was thinking of an iPad/tablet type device so that it could also be used for other things. My hubbie sometimes goes away with work and it would be good for him to use on trips. We have a laptop but it currently is being used as the home computer (the PC died) and it is a bit heavy.
I also liked the idea of using it like a digital picture frame when it wasnt being used for the child or other things.
Depending on what hubby uses the device for when travelling a 9-10" netbook (I recommend the Asus models) would probably be more appropriate (e.g. can multi task, faster processor) and a heck of a lot cheaper (sub $400). It also would probably suit as the incar entertainment device and you could set it up as a digital picture frame or just buy one separately for $100.

But no doubt you are already converted and hooked on the iPad even though you haven't even used one :rolleyes: Apple products always seem to have this effect on people.

Depending on what hubby uses the device for when travelling a 9-10" netbook (I recommend the Asus models) would probably be more appropriate (e.g. can multi task, faster processor) and a heck of a lot cheaper (sub $400). It also would probably suit as the incar entertainment device and you could set it up as a digital picture frame or just buy one separately for $100.

But no doubt you are already converted and hooked on the iPad even though you haven't even used one :rolleyes: Apple products always seem to have this effect on people.

Youl change your mind i bet. There seems to be a overwhelming reason why people buy them...the aged ol "they just work" quote that gets banneded around alot maybe the reason. Many underestimate that quote because its far to simple to say yet do

Heres a link. Let us see ANY notebook do this. Wow i thought.

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/04/01/the-elements-for-ipa.html

Thanks, thats the sort of answer I was looking for.

Thanks to everyone for their answers.

Bespoke. Your kid would be amazed at this. Or at least entertained.

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/04/01/the-elements-for-ipa.html

The video is simply gold(sorry in advanced about the pun. Not intended) ...

iPad is not about the hardware.

It is about all the free and inexpensive applications that are being produced.

I am amazed at some of the stuff out there.

Just been reading about the maritime ocean navigation software which costs next to nothing and is as useful as a chart plotter costing thousands.

Reeco, thanks for that although shes currently only 3.5 years old and not quite ready for the periodic table, but interesting to see some apps for the ipad.

iPad is not about the hardware.

It is about all the free and inexpensive applications that are being produced.

I am amazed at some of the stuff out there.

Just been reading about the maritime ocean navigation software which costs next to nothing and is as useful as a chart plotter costing thousands.

Agreed. Its such a hard thing for people to comprehend tho. We have been told for years that we need more features of all nature. I read a study that said its one of samsungs core fundamentals is to add hardware "features" because consumers are drawn to this. We some how compute added features with better value. Even if we dont use those features or even understand them.

I can atest to this. I get fooled all the time by samsung. Brought a few TVs lately :eek:

Took me a while but now i get it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwFbwHaP5tE

This is how magazines will look. If your in print you can see some pretty wild things on the horizon.

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/04/01/marvel-comics-for-ip.html

For comics

Reeco, thanks for that although shes currently only 3.5 years old and not quite ready for the periodic table, but interesting to see some apps for the ipad.

no worries. If she doesnt like the app I swear shed love the easter egg in vid that comes with the app. My 3 year old is all smiles :) Doesnt understand it but when i get a bobbing head and a smile from my boy, then you know your product is a seller.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPUWbVLzVZI&feature=player_embedded#

What the reviewer says at the end, had me as to why im buying an ipad. I really wasnt going to. but unfortunately they got me. Damn you to **** apple.

Back