Anybody with TPG for mobile phone?

Just joined the 15 super value for my wife. had some Sim issues it was DOA on arrival. when through lots of troubleshooting steps, the last one was to try another Iphone 4. All I wanted was them to send me a new sim. I lied and said I had tested it and Sim was still not working. They then said they will send the sim to me via regular post 7 days. I asked if there was faster service. They said yes express but would cost me $10. I told them its not my fault that you sent a faulty sim and it should be free. Has a chat to the supervisor, good news sir we will wave the $10.

Besides that small hiccup its the same as before service wise with Optus. was on a plan with telechoice.

its good value at 1/2 the price

I like my Kogan- but it doesn't suit my wife very well. She needs to send SMS messages to Mexico, and to get overseas access with Kogan, you need to purchase $14.99 of credits, which expire each month. That seems a rather user unfriendly way of doing things. SMS messages are 50c each.

Vaya on the face of it has a better option- $29pm unlimited in Australia, with overseas texts at 35c, billed as excess. Although with a low call rate, a smaller plan might fit for her. I'll also go back to the old Optus conditions to see if they fit better.

Geoffw - if your wife and overseas family have an iphone/android - can recommend to use 'whatsapp' or similar app.

Don't have to use SMS and pay for it, whatsapp uses your internet data and can send pics.

Wife and I on TPG mobile ($17.99 plan) so free calls to TPG user.

Cheers
Irawin

I've checked back on our Optus bills. Overseas SMS messages are included in the monthly allowance- it looks like 45c per message. At around 40 messages per month, that brings the difference between Optus and the third party providers down a lot.

Out daughter overseas still has time on her Optus contract, so we'll use that for OS messaging for now.

I thought I'd update this thread. My youngest son is on the $9.99 TPG plan (probably the only 17 year old who can manage on a $9.99 cap - he's probably also the only 17 year old I know who has only just got a phone).

Today my Optus plan finishes. I applied for TPG last week and tomorrow (once I'm definitely off plan) I'll port my number over (how's that for tech talk :D).

According to Optus, for the past few months I've used $250/$300 in calls and less than 300mg in data, so their $17.99 cap gives me $500 in calls (same call costs as Optus plan I was on) and 1.5GB data (stacks more than I use and more than the 1GB on my Optus plan).

I was paying $50 per month with Optus plus $18 per month for the phone. Over two years that means I've paid $864 for my phone. If I upgrade, I'll just buy a new phone outright and still be on the $17.99 per month plan. I will get usage alerts so I should't go over my cap.

I called Optus retention team (at their suggestion) and they offered me a plan at $40 per month for twelve months. I pointed out that I'm getting more at TPG for $17.99 per month so the offered to drop their retention offer to $30 per month for six months. What the??? I politely explained that is still almost double the plan I'm switching to, and I'll be getting more data and same cost of calls.

TPG use Optus infrastructure, so hopefully I will get the same coverage, and I'm not locked in at all.

I'm now trying to convince my middle son to switch. His phone is busted but usable and in two months he comes off his plan. He has to decide whether to buy a new one via the $18 per month on top of his plan. I've told him I'll lend him the money to buy a new phone up front and then he can drop down to $17.99 per month as well.

I'm trying to convince him to get into Optus before his plan runs out and get them to fix his phone under the warranty. He's mad if he doesn't do that. Then he can have a new (or refurbished) phone and still move over to the cheaper telco when his time is up.

Thanks for all the tips. I am definitely not renewing with Optus, don't need a new phone, and will pick one of these. I'll check my past usage and see if 1.5G is enough or if I go for the higher date usage plans.

Be careful on data usage. Check carefully the blocks in which you get data. TPG are very fair with each block being 10kb. This means each time you connect to the internet there is a minimum 10kb "charge" to your monthly allowance. Many other providers have much larger blocks, such as amaysim who I believe have 1mb blocks. This means, even if you view a small text email, you will use up your allowance much faster.

I thought I would add my 2c too.
Not with TPG, but Virgin (who use Optus backbone too).
I am on a $29 cap (I pay $19 cos of the BYO) get 450 call credit that includes overseas calls and smses and 1.25gb data. This plan is no longer available, so sticking with it till I can.

I've just gone Kogan. It's on the Telstra network, unlimited local and mobile, 6gb per month. $30 for one month or $299 for a year.

That suits my usage well- I generally go over the 2gb which Optus give me- and I understand that all the telcos are reducing their 2gb allowances to 1.5, removing free FB and twitter access, and increasing the minimum blocks of data.

I believe there are alerts but they apply just to the Internet usage.

I heard about this deal 6 months ago and didn't realize it was available. Thanks for the heads up. Will be joining them once this contract expires :)

I heard about this deal 6 months ago and didn't realize it was available. Thanks for the heads up. Will be joining them once this contract expires :)

Given Kogan Mobile just closed down due to their wholesaler collapse, you will have to find an alternate :(

I joined my youngest son to TPG and he's only used $10 extra one month. When my Optus contract finished I joined on the $17.99 plan and I'm very happy with it. It gives me everything Optus did (plus a little more data) and I was paying $49 with Optus.

Optus offered to give me what I already had with them for $40 for six months and when I said "no thanks - I can get it at TPG for $18, they offered it to me at $30 for six months then back to $40). I'm not sure they understand why I said "no thanks" :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm trying to convince my other sons to change to TPG. One needs to buy a new phone but rather than pay $10 per month (or similar) on an Optus plan, he is better to buy a new phone outright and go on the $18 TPG plan.

As a Kogan user I can find three other options:
TPG- a good plan for light users.
Aldi- slightly more than Kogan for an unlimited plan- but still powered by Telstra, so potentially a worry. A light user plan is also available.
Amaysim- light & heavy options available. A bit more expensive than Aldi for unlimited. Powered by Optus.

Edit: there are more out there- a comparison available at http://www.whistleout.com.au/MobilePhones

Back