Anyone heard of property secrets ?

How would you feel if your doctor advised you to take inferior medication because the company that produces it was paying them to prescribe it to their patients?
Or a financial adviser advising you to follow an inferior investment strategy because they received better commissions? Yes, I know they're not allowed to take commissions any more, but possibly that used to happen once or twice?

So you guys think chemists/doctors don't push certain products over others because they get "looked after" by drug companies? Wow, i thought most people knew that this is exactly what they do.

What about Woolies/Coles getting kick backs from big suppliers for better product placement. I have heard some good stories there too. Dont be so naive guys, its how business is done and fortunes are made.

So you guys think chemists/doctors don't push certain products over others because they get "looked after" by drug companies? Wow, i thought most people knew that this is exactly what they do.

What about Woolies/Coles getting kick backs from big suppliers for better product placement. I have heard some good stories there too. Dont be so naive guys, its how business is done and fortunes are made.
Are you seriously suggesting we should just let all these practices happen?

The practice of non-disclosed commissions, kickbacks etc is illegal. That is the problem plain and simple.

Yes people should do their research but when they are paying "professionals" to give them advice and the advice given is not in their best interests and is given in a manner illegal then I believe it is just a bit ridiculous to suggest there is nothing wrong and the victim of the illegal practice should have done their research first.

Might be the other way around here, in that big suppliers are paying extra for better product placement, I have heard some good stories here too, Harvey Normans etc. Don't be so naive guys, its how business is done and fortunes are made ;)

You sure about that? Between my friends and I working for some very large, very well known companies, we have quite a few stories of things we've seen and heard.

It may not be as obvious as third world countries, but my friend, corruption is rife in Australia.

such a broad nudge nudge wink wink comment is a challenge, to me at least.

The implications are serious, serious enough that if you have such information that you may have a legal an ethical obligation to report same.

ta
rolf

Yes people should do their research but when they are paying "professionals" to give them advice and the advice given is not in their best interests and is given in a manner illegal then I believe it is just a bit ridiculous to suggest there is nothing wrong and the victim of the illegal practice should have done their research first.

Well, problem here is we dont have all the facts. The story is coming from Today Tonight which is not very credible is it? On the surface the way it looks to me is that property secrets offer clients a property and then do xyz to it to add value. Provided they did do xyz i dont see what the problem is. If they got a kick back from a builder who cares? If they provided what they are offering then people are just dirty because they purchased a shitty investment. People who fall this stuff really should just stick to super. If it was that easy to make money by letting someone else do all the heavy lifting then everyone would do it.

The fact is they offer a service which is always going to chew up most of the fat in the deal. The customer ends up with an average property with a tart up reno or a granny flat. I wouldnt go as far as calling it a scam, its just lazy $hitty investing.

I knew a good chippy who started a building company many years ago

Get the earthworks guys in, get thier invoice, add 10%
Get plumbers, concreters, framers, electricians, roofers, tilers etc, get thier invoice, add 10% on each. Chippy's... we've got that covered, add our margin

such a broad nudge nudge wink wink comment is a challenge, to me at least.

The implications are serious, serious enough that if you have such information that you may have a legal an ethical obligation to report same.

ta
rolf

they were, people notice things after a while, and resignations are handed in before any serious questions are asked.

that's all i'll add on these matters.

yeh I thought it was known and accepted practice. the drugs we are prescribed are supplied by the companies that wine, dine and look after the gp's the best. the entire medical system is based on money, but then so too is the justice system - which is worse?

Well, problem here is we dont have all the facts. The story is coming from Today Tonight which is not very credible is it? On the surface the way it looks to me is that property secrets offer clients a property and then do xyz to it to add value. Provided they did do xyz i dont see what the problem is. If they got a kick back from a builder who cares? If they provided what they are offering then people are just dirty because they purchased a shitty investment. People who fall this stuff really should just stick to super. If it was that easy to make money by letting someone else do all the heavy lifting then everyone would do it.

The fact is they offer a service which is always going to chew up most of the fat in the deal. The customer ends up with an average property with a tart up reno or a granny flat. I wouldnt go as far as calling it a scam, its just lazy $hitty investing.
I agree that people should do their research but an illegal practice is still an illegal practice and should be stopped.

As for the story coming from TT, yes one needs to consider the source. However, they are currently being investigated and sued and there are many disgruntled customers. IF it is found that something illegal has taken place then something should be done about it. Something other than telling the victims of the illegal practice that they should stop whinging, don't be so lazy and do their own research in future and then let the illegal practices continue.

I should be able to pay someone for advice, and expect them to give me advice in my best interest, not theirs. Yes, I am aware that corruption exists, but the sheer existence of corruption does not justify it.

The story is coming from Today Tonight which is not very credible is it?
I don't think that the problem with TT is accuracy. If anybody in the media broadcast things which were not accurate, they would be up for all sorts of libel charges. For the sort of stories they broadcast, I'm sure that they have a team of lawyers making sure that every single word can be verified.

The problem with TT is that they like sensationalised trite nonsense most of the time.

If something has been said, I think it's important to look at what has been said- with a grain of salt perhaps applied if the source is likely to sensationalise.

It is easy to get around "all commissions are declared / rebated" by using volume discounts. For example give the kickback as if you achieve $500K of referrals this year I'll give you a trip to Europe (for a conference of course).

The finance brokers would know all about these types of incentives.

Because it is not related to any one referrals you can the honesty say there is no commission / kickback on that transaction.

Very common in a lot of industries.

I should be able to pay someone for advice, and expect them to give me advice in my best interest, not theirs. Yes, I am aware that corruption exists, but the sheer existence of corruption does not justify it.

It's not an ideal world. Deal with it.

Three stories a night, five nights a week- and even Media Watch can only find one inaccurate story this year?

What's been said on this particular story appears to be backed up by other people, including people on this thread with direct experience.

You seriously believe that there is no problem with inaccuracies in TT stories? The bar has well and truly been set low.

You seriously believe that there is no problem with inaccuracies in TT stories? The bar has well and truly been set low.

The discussion has been about this story.

Other stories are mostly inconsequential rubbish. Somebody's neighbour is being a nuisance. Some scumbag father is not paying child support. Some son cheated his own mother.

On this story, facts appear to have verification elsewhere. Including experience from people posting on this forum.

Back