Anyone put in artificial lawn in their rental?? Your thoughts??

We're about to have a new house become available for rental and are just thinking about the landscaping of this new house.

Given the water restrictions and possibly people not liking to have to upkeep the garden but still wanting some lawn area for their kids etc and so forth, i was wondering whether it'd be worth considering putting in artificial lawn in the backyard as opposed to real lawn?

Does anyone know the costs (i.e. is it more or less than real grass)??

Anyone actually used artificial lawn? How have you found it? Would you do it again?

Your thoughts would be much appreciated!

cheers,
Kim

so annoying...i did do a search for 'artificial lawn' as well as 'artificial grass' and nothing came up!!!

the search function on here is not very user friendly i have to admit.

thanks for that link!

I have a number of IP's on small blocks 10 metre frontages with small lawns.

Over the last few years I have added sir walter to my investment properties.
Went to bunnings and bought a few strips, noticed last week they are selling 1 strip for 10 bucks.
I break up the strip and plant the pieces all over the lawn.
The grass is slow growing and low water tolerant and grows in the shade.
The lawns are just now looking great and the tenants like them as they don't have to mow very often.
I have replaced my back lawn in PPOR and during this summer I only mowed once a month
compared to the front every week and a half, and the sir walter stayed green during the hot weather compared to my front which died and is still recovering.
I have become a bit like the guy on the ad for sir walter ,I can't rave on enough about it.

Not sure if this is totally relevant to using artificial lawn - Here is my experience with the artificial grass called "Mod grass" which is used on tennis courts.It has to be bedded in with a light layer of sand brushed down into the nap or "blades of grass ". It will naturally have leaves, sticks etc falling on it from the surrounding garden therefore you need to keep it swept regularly.We use a little machine for that.If this is neglected the vegetable matter will rot down and make a mess on the "grass'' .Also if your lawn is shaded there will be moss growing through it, fed by the damp sand so that has to be treated. Although I have not experienced artificial lawn in an investment proprty I would venture to say the initial expensive outlay will not solve the problem of tenant neglect of a grass lawn as the artificial will still require maintenance.

there are alot of new styles of artificial grass these days that are sof and have no mold. that's ald news. i had it done and love it. never looking back to the real stuff again. dirty, weeds, mowing, re-turfing are all things of the past.

did a few of my TH's and tennants love it. just ensure you stipulate no smoking in the agreement as butts will burn it

Golf Nut- I did qualify my post by saying "not sure if relevant "and spoke about my experience with artificial grass on a tennis court which to the best of my knowledge still requires some bedding in with sand. You will also note that my posts are usually only to relate my experience of a particular product or with a particular situation about which a poster makes an enquiry.I never presume to dictate. Instead of simply rudely dismissing my post as "ald news" you might like to tell the poster exactly what product you have so successfully used in your many investment properties. I am sure that would be of more help than your vague post.

there are alot of new styles of artificial grass these days that are sof and have no mold. that's ald news. i had it done and love it. never looking back to the real stuff again. dirty, weeds, mowing, re-turfing are all things of the past.

did a few of my TH's and tennants love it. just ensure you stipulate no smoking in the agreement as butts will burn it

hmmm......

Maintenance concerns.

I had this discussion with an investor a few years ago - my concern as a property manager is the maintenance on this.

I haven't experienced it but I worry about potential burns (when cirgarette butts are thrown on them, I know you say no smoking but you can't enforce it 24/7), fraying at edges and weeds still growing through pushing up/distorting (just the same kind of problems you get with carpets, except carpets have edgings)

Am I just too worried about things that may not even happen??

I can see the pros also....but still hesitant to give it the thumbs up.

my parents have it in their backyard, where there is poor sunlight, so it looks a lot better than when it had grass which wouldn't grow. then they got a bit carried away, and put it down their outside steps, and on a second story balcony!!
Pen

I have it in one of my properties. It was put in at the request of the tenats and has worked well. This property is in the SA outback, with very little rainfall and a lot of sun, where maintaining a proper lawn is very expensive. Not sure what brand it is, but I've had it for 3 years now and no issues at all.

replace it

I guess it all depends on what type of synthetic turf you put down. Mum and Dads is very fine and thick with small amounts of brown mixed in with the green to make it look very natural. There's came from here, and is manufactured in US

I'm in Adelaide right now and just walked on some.

It was on a median strip.

Apart from the fact that having nice green grass on a median strip looked odd, the stuff was very convincing.

I'm dead against anything pretending to be something it's not.

I won't buy Lino masquerading as tiles. I won't buy fake wood panelling.

In my books materials need to be honest.

I'm dead against anything pretending to be something it's not.

I won't buy Lino masquerading as tiles. I won't buy fake wood panelling.

In my books materials need to be honest.

Dunno Boomtown, I've seen some scary photos of Rednecks with missing front teeth, a good orthodontist and a fake smile may soften that image

Its not honest, but is is attractive

Back