ANZ Bank Tips 2 More Interest Rate Cuts - More Fuel For Positivity

But did you open your mind to the possibilities recently/today?

I have an open mind for anything business. Been doing it a long time. I did the property thing more as developer speculator back in the 80's and 90's. Made some lost some. I learnt quickly that with a few dollars I could turn that into hundreds and then thousand fairly quickly. The cash flow was 1000's of times that of property but there wasn't asset appreciation. The objective was to get small amounts of money to make lots of money.

did you position yourself to make money from property over the last 2-3 years? You may have just noticed the opportunities, as there were many rising property markets in Australia and many property investors making money.

Other fish to fry and I can't invest everywhere.

My guess is you missed the boat, because you are too busy worried about what might happen in the future rather than focusing on today and how to maximise opportunities today.

There are lots of boats beware yours doesn't sink.

That reminds what happened to Ebola??? another one of your happy go lucky threads, keep smiling:)

Not my thread but seeing as you asked the threat is alive and well and still growing exponentially.

I know that property prices went nowhere during the first half of the 20th century. l.

That's not true. Residential urban property rose massively in the first half of the last century, and even more spectacularly in the second half.

The same was not the case with farmland. Excepting WW1 and WW2, the real price of farmland went nowhere in the first half of the last century.

Okay so for the last 60 years property prices in australia have continued to rise along with wages and rents and inflation....it's boring, but that's how it works, it's not idiot proof, it's hard to get a quick return if you pay too much in the first place, but as a long term simple asset class, it's been a good bet.

Will it be in the next 50 years?

Why not?

We are nearing the end of the life cycle for this current financial system. It's almost exhausted. They die when debt becomes too large to service. Pushing interest rates to 0 (the cost of money)is CB's way of prolonging the system. It allows the banks to create just a little more credit (print money). But every system has a credit ceiling where its impossible for the populace to soak up any more credit.

The next phase is deflation and that brings on an implosion in financial markets and banks. It's happening now.

There were reasons 10 years ago to not invest, just as there are now, just as there probably was 50 years ago.

We're in a different phase of the cycle. Every phase has different settings. If you treat them the same you stand a good chance of being burnt.

It's always the right time for the "right" deal

BS marketing jingo. Throw away lines to entice the uninitiated into the web.

Sorry if that's not factual or data backed, I am a gut guy, unsophisticated and basic

You may be more sophisticated than you think and everyone uses their gut to some extent or other.

That's not true. Residential urban property rose massively in the first half of the last century,

Research by the authors suggests otherwise..

Egan_Soos_01.png

See more here..

I thought reading through this whole thread would actually have some decent facts. And it ends with debate over the property prices of the last century. Want my 2 minutes back.

We are nearing the end of the life cycle for this current financial system. It's almost exhausted. They die when debt becomes too large to service. Pushing interest rates to 0 (the cost of money)is CB's way of prolonging the system. It allows the banks to create just a little more credit (print money). But every system has a credit ceiling where its impossible for the populace to soak up any more credit.

The next phase is deflation and that brings on an implosion in financial markets and banks. It's happening now.

We're in a different phase of the cycle. Every phase has different settings. If you treat them the same you stand a good chance of being burnt.

BS marketing jingo. Throw away lines to entice the uninitiated into the web.

You may be more sophisticated than you think and everyone uses their gut to some extent or other.

Seeing that our interest is way above 0, there may be some life yet. And taking a leaflet from the US, what about assets/bond buying? There may be a long way to go to hit deflation based on your interest rate theory. Please revise and resubmit. Thesis rejected for obvious flaws.

May stand a better chance in saying australia unemployment will hit 30%, and house price bust.

That's not true. Residential urban property rose massively in the first half of the last century, and even more spectacularly in the second half.

The same was not the case with farmland. Excepting WW1 and WW2, the real price of farmland went nowhere in the first half of the last century.

Thanks for that Grand dad. I had seen the ABS chart several times before.

According to this graph, they have flat lined for the past ten years. I think I saw a bubble start to form in 1980, maybe that is the bubble they refer to.

Attachments

• Egan_Soos_07-300x169.png
    Egan_Soos_07-300x169.png
    34 KB · Views: 48
any chance you running a scam company? turning few dollars to hundreds :rolleyes: must be a street magician :p

Failing removal business; paid $25k TO first year $160k

WA mining: paid $27k for a prime mover $350k/ yr net. Pulled out in 2012 but went back 6 months later for one last bite $120k 4 weeks work. Sold for $55k

Next project I'm looking requires less than $10k It could do $1mil in 5 years. We'll see. Some difficult personalities to work with.

There's money to be made everywhere now... property isn't now. It's 10-20 years away.

Seeing that our interest is way above 0, there may be some life yet. And taking a leaflet from the US, what about assets/bond buying? There may be a long way to go to hit deflation based on your interest rate theory. Please revise and resubmit. Thesis rejected for obvious flaws.

May stand a better chance in saying australia unemployment will hit 30%, and house price bust.

The trend everywhere is down and the first few CBs have now gone negative.

COUNTRY - Current Rate -Prev Rate
Switzerland........ -0.750 % -0.500 % 01-15-2015
Sweden............. 0.000 % 0.250 % 10-28-2014
ECB Europe..... 0.050 % 0.150 % 09-04-2014
Czech Republic .. 0.050 % 0.250 % 11-01-2012
BoJ Japan.............. 0.100 % 0.100 % 10-05-2010
Denmark.......... 0.200 % 0.300 % 05-02-2013
FED United States 0.250 % 1.000 % 12-16-2008
BOI Israel........ 0.250 % 0.500 % 08-25-2014
BoE Great Britain 0.500 % 1.000 % 03-05-2009
BOC Canada ..... 1.000 % 0.750 % 09-08-2010
Norway............ 1.250 % 1.500 % 12-11-2014
South Korea...... 2.000 % 2.250 % 10-15-2014
Poland.............. 2.000 % 2.500 % 10-08-2014
Saudi Arabia..... 2.000 % 2.500 % 01-19-2009
Hungary........... 2.100 % 2.300 % 07-22-2014
RBA Australia.... 2.500 % 2.750 % 08-06-2013
Mexico............. 3.000 % 3.500 % 06-06-2014
Chile................ 3.000 % 3.250 % 10-16-2014

Last edited by a moderator:
Freckles Freckles Freckles...

You said:
We are nearing the end of the life cycle for this current financial system. It's almost exhausted. They die when debt becomes too large to service. Pushing interest rates to 0 (the cost of money)is CB's way of prolonging the system

and I said it seems we can prolong it very well based on your theory of hitting 0% before we "die". Unless you think RBA will drop 2.5% in the next year? If not how long do you think it will take them to reach that? If it is 5+ years, then dont you agree that there is still a fair way from doom and gloom? Even after dropping to 0% they still have other means like bond buying.

The problem is not my understanding of economics, but how you are trying to articulate your point. Putting a list of interest rates from other countries does not help your original point, because the point is how long does it take for RBA to reduce to 0%.

PS You may want to check why Switzerland have negative rates and see if that actually have anything to do with what you are trying to get across, which I have to remind you again:
We are nearing the end of the life cycle for this current financial system. It's almost exhausted. They die when debt becomes too large to service. Pushing interest rates to 0 (the cost of money)is CB's way of prolonging the system

The problem is not my understanding of economics,

Yes it is because AU is not an island (financially). It's networked into a global system that is failing. The GFC was a blip that sent everything in AU diving for the floor.

The slow but progressive slide towards 0 rates is the CB scorecard in this game and they're (all CB's) losing.

The next GFC is building and looks like 2015 is a good contender. It's a toss up to see if it'll be Japan, Europe or the US that blows up first. It's neck and neck at the moment.

AU won't be as lucky second time around. Nobody will.

Thanks Freckle, you successfully trolled your way through 3 pages. Haven't you heard the saying, 80% of the things you worry about never eventuate anyway..........I kinda like those odds.

Yes it is because AU is not an island (financially). It's networked into a global system that is failing. The GFC was a blip that sent everything in AU diving for the floor.

The slow but progressive slide towards 0 rates is the CB scorecard in this game and they're (all CB's) losing.

The next GFC is building and looks like 2015 is a good contender. It's a toss up to see if it'll be Japan, Europe or the US that blows up first. It's neck and neck at the moment.

AU won't be as lucky second time around. Nobody will.

Missed most of this thread, but it seems like your usual insecure trolling.

In terms of financial sector health though, many of the worlds advanced economies have financial systems with significantly higher capital ratios, liquidity provisions, loss absorbancy mechanisms, etc.

All part of the deep and wide financial regulation agenda post GFC. Australia's gone from having one of the top 20% in terms of capital ratios to middle tier (FSI report). Its not us moving backwards, its the world moving forwards.

Part of the 'deleveraging' that's gone one has really slowed growth prospects.

We may see another crisis soon, there always will be one happening. Its not like the GFC was the first or the last.

Whether its a 'financial crises' though...not sure many tip that to happen this year.

And looking at euros chart, yes house price growth through the 90s and early 2000s is a simple move for Australia from an 'low debt economy' to a 'high debt economy' driven by financial deepening/liberilisation.

Thanks Freckle, you successfully trolled your way through 3 pages.

Missed most of this thread, but it seems like your usual insecure trolling.

Could either of you (and everyone else that is accusing Freckles of trolling) please explain how proposing a very real possibility for our economic future is trolling?

I don't think anyone here that is accusing Freckles of such actually understands the concept of trolling.

I'm not suggesting that what he/she is saying is going to happen - I have no idea, as I can't see the future - but the possibility of it happening is very real and more probable than you guys seem to think.

And looking at euros chart, yes house price growth through the 90s and early 2000s is a simple move for Australia from an 'low debt economy' to a 'high debt economy' driven by financial deepening/liberilisation.[/QUOTE]

oops- wasn't my chart :) I was just commenting on it and pointing out that the timelines correspond perfectly with;

1. deregulation of banking - someone may want to check when Rabobank, ING, HSBC, Citi etc started doing business in Australia. This was the start of competition and much lower rates and new landing policies.
2. securitisation - someone may want to check when Aussie, Wizard, Rams etc came to be each capital growth phase. This was a continuation of competition and much lower rates and new landing policies.
3. LMI - total game changer. 20% deposits no longer required. First came 90/10's in the very early 90's. Then came 95% , then came non gen savings..then came lo doc, no doc .... and so it went.

All equating to.... BOOM time

I interpret freckles to be saying something very sensible; the expansive lending/credit environment has run its course. It actually ran its course on the rest of the planet 6-7 years ago. Canada and Australia are the two real exceptions, where LVR's werent curtailed to 80% and prices plunged rapidly.

The point is, LVR's have maxed out. They have nowhere else to go. There is no appetite in the RMBS market for no docs or traditional lo docs, or 5% non gen savings, or 100% or 105% LVR's - not anymore. GFC saw an end to that. Todays LVR's as as good as it will be for years, possibly decades. And the issue there is that mature investors may have equity, but people starting out cant manufacture it as quickly as mature investors could - because the truth is- investors didnt manufacture it - lending policies did.

Now, with all due respect, those of you who don't know your way around bank servicing policies nor the realities of how banks actually fund residential mortgages and who have only ever known property to go up, up, up should at least be willing to acknowledge that you need more and more buyers able ( notice I didnt say willing) to pay more and more money in order for prices to continue to rise. And for that to happen at the accelerated rate it happened at during the 90's and 00's, simply isn't possible - because the 3 points listed above are already fully exhausted, so now the ONLY thing creating capacity is big rate cuts. When those are done, so will this bull run.

How do I see it all unfolding? Oh who knows...but I suspect if no more rate cuts come along, we are probably into the last part of this run - and this run hasnt been nationwide this time - which is the first time ! The boom in the 90's and 00's took everyone along. The mini boom post GFC ( off the back of big rate cuts and stimulus) ran much shorter and took all cities along - but this one is even shorter and hasnt spread as wide. tell you anything?

Anyway it's probably reasonable to speculate that we will likely see prolonged period of CPI type growth. I certainly don't see a calamity coming - that would require a huge rise in unemployment and banks facing serious difficulty in the RMBS markets because of large arrears and defaults - which in Australia is unlikely because we have Genworth and QBE sitting astride all 80% + deals. Possible? sure. Likely - not so much.

Could either of you (and everyone else that is accusing Freckles of trolling) please explain how proposing a very real possibility for our economic future is trolling?

I don't think anyone here that is accusing Freckles of such actually understands the concept of trolling.

I'm not suggesting that what he/she is saying is going to happen - I have no idea, as I can't see the future - but the possibility of it happening is very real and more probable than you guys seem to think.

Haha tbh i actually don't know what trolling refers to! By trolling i mean his style not the content, great way to work people up.

I love out there views on whats happening to the economy! :)

Freckles aren't that crazy. Commentators always go to extremes to evoke reactions. Generally, 90% of the time, the extremes don't actually eventuate.

Back