Arrogance on this forum

Weg; maybe your brother didn't give the bond back because the tenants had wrecked the joint? and they responded in predictable style with a threat of neanderthal violence? Sounds about right.

If this is the case, then I'd agree with his description.

Correct... oh, and his discription was spot on alright. You missed my ;) I think.

Correct too, that most of us don't bag tenants, welfare recipients, or the disadvantaged because they're tenants, welfare recipients or disadvantaged :rolleyes:.

We bag those that are damaging property, not paying their rent because it's not a priority, malingering/rorting the system, etc.

We also recognize anyone can rort the system too, not just the poor.

These bad eggs don't deserve that we stay quiet, and we certainly shouldn't have to be PC and make up excuses for their behaviour.

I think you are perfectly right, Weg. The vast majority of forumites condemn only the subclass of welfare abusers, not the entire class of welfare users.

But that’s not what’s under discussion here. The issue raised by this thread is the tiny but extreme minority of forumites who condemn the entire class of welfare users. Or do, but don’t . . . because they always ‘clarify’ it was only ever the abuser subclass that their own abusiveness had in mind (and what sort of dirty minds must others have, eh?).

This self-congratulating extreme minority makes one critical error however: It mistakenly thinks that because achieving financial independence is not dishonourable, it must somehow be honourable.

Nothing of course could be further from the truth. Yet some can find self-worth nowhere else and so denigrate others to affirm how honourable they’ve become, and therewith prove instantly to have never in fact even approached the honourable in their lives.

Actually the OP wasn't very clear on what he meant. Perhaps other posters are just as unclear and some of us give them the benefit of the doubt, because I'm having difficulty working out who specifically the 2% are if not the people I'm referring to. Still, I won't discount they exist. You get all types on all forums, trolls included.

Or perhaps the OP WAS referring to a wider range of comments and views, and interprets success and general negative commenting with greed (it's OK to bag if you're poor because you're not greedy, type thinking :rolleyes:).

Interestingly the only person that I know that has really gone on about, and bagged welfare recipients is a poor PAYG single mum I know, who doesn't want to be stigmatized as a welfare mum, and so works, but who at the same time thinks other welfare mothers are doing better than her :rolleyes:.

The OP's distinctions between himself and the 'arrogant' posters, him giving blankets to the poor and not 'boozing', insinuates he knows more about people here than anyone else, and has classified them accordingly :eek:.

Now if that's not a touch arrogant and judgemental, I don't know what is ;).

My personal opinion is that dear Mr OP should harden the **** up.

If that makes him think me arrogant, then goodness, i guess i'll cry myself to sleep...

I'm sure I can make up an anecdote to support my position as well. I'll just make sure to make it really, really outlandish, with nothing that can actually be verified.

I'll be sure to mention cash in hand though. That's always a good emotive thing.

Nothing emotive. These people like to receive cash in hand because it can't be traced.. Pretty obvious really.

Anyway, just telling a story that's all.

Harsh words, but I understand completely.

I'm considering disowning my jerk brother for stating his tenant's boyfriend (who unbeknown to him was in jail when he let the house) was a lowlife for threatening to kill him if he didn't return the bond.

They may have caused significant damage to the place, but that's no excuse to bad mouth them - actually called them scum :eek:.

How arrogant is he? Sometimes when people are poor and disadvantaged they damage houses. Why is that so hard to understand ;).

Yes agreed. Sometimes you need to think from the other side's perspective.

Why can't your brother just give them the bond back and pay for the repairs himself? Very selfish person to be honest...

Any way just had lunch with my dole bludger friend today. Because she now owns a profitable convenience store and can't claim single mother benefits or something like that, her husband who earns a $1000/week cash in hand job is now going to claim the dole on the family's behalf. In the meantime they've bought another inner city apartment.

Now that's Australia's social welfare for you. Good job...

You should dob her in to the authorities, seeing as you are so concerned.

I don't do things like that.

If someone confides in me a secret, I have a moral obligation to not use that secret against them.

And frankly, I have no concern with what they are doing. Many people do it or have done it. I always think from other people's side as other forumites suggest.

I don't do things like that.

If someone confides in me a secret, I have a moral obligation to not use that secret against them.

And frankly, I have no concern with what they are doing. Many people do it or have done it. I always think from other people's side as other forumites suggest.

What? It's not as though you're a priest taking confession.

No concern for them getting your tax for nothing?

It's fraud.

Remind me to confide in you when I kill someone and need help hiding the body.

Well to use an extreme example, if your husband/wife told you they've defrauded someone, would you expose them? What if it was your kids? If you're not going to dob your husband/wife in, why would you dob a friend in unless deep down you're a jealous individual who enjoys bringing down other people's families.

Secondly, most forumites seem to think it's ok to defraud welfare so perhaps you're in the minority here.

Secondly, most forumites seem to think it's ok to defraud welfare so perhaps you're in the minority here.

Where on earth did you get that idea? Most are very vocal AGAINST frauding taxpayers dollars.

As for dobbing them in ... damn oath even if they were my hubby or kids. If they were to stoop so low as to deliberately and systematically rip off hardworking Australians who pay their taxes, then I would have so little respect for them that I would either not be married to them any longer - or disowned them.

And you are not talking about intimate relatives in this case ... they are friends (and I use that term loosely) who have no regard, respect or consideration for others. Not the type of people I would like as friends.

Where on earth did you get that idea? Most are very vocal AGAINST frauding taxpayers dollars.

As for dobbing them in ... damn oath even if they were my hubby or kids. If they were to stoop so low as to deliberately and systematically rip off hardworking Australians who pay their taxes, then I would have so little respect for them that I would either not be married to them any longer - or disowned them.

And you are not talking about intimate relatives in this case ... they are friends (and I use that term loosely) who have no regard, respect or consideration for others. Not the type of people I would like as friends.

with all due respect, and i myself am pretty harsh on welfare fraud, i call bulls hit on that one

if your son/daughter was at uni on austudy/youth allowance and took a cashie job on the side you would disown them and dob them in?

I sure would.

It is wrong on so many levels.

I would make sure they comply with the law.

My kids know there are things such as consequences and that there is right and wrong. They have been brought up with it and we have told them that they must face up to the consequences no matter what the action, right or wrong.

Seems there are lots of people in today's society that do not understand the consequences of their actions. It starts at home as kids and they are conditioned that it everything is fine and they are protected from consequences by their parents.

you're a greater man than i am

while i agree with the gist of your post and do practice it, i dont think id be keen on disowning my son if he did a cashie

You don't get it. What's in it for DB to dob them in?

Why does there have to always be "something for me in it" for someone to do the right thing?

Speaks volumes about what is wrong with society.

And I'm with Hotrod ... if you teach your kids wrong on the little things, then you also run the risk of it being transpossed to the big things. Sanj, there is a world of difference between grown adults, with very good incomes, choosing to deliberately and systematically rip off the system, to my child being paid $20 for helping me rip up old carpet.

Don't confuse it with disowning them. I will love my kids no matter how much they might hurt us and no matter how hard it might be. It is a loving parent's prerogative.

Not saying it would be easy, but the groundwork has been set and they know that we will stand by them (and not for them or to protect them) as they face their consequences.

Back