ATO - waste of time!

Rang the ATO to cancel GST registration to make life easier as last 3 BAS have been 0 balances, and can't see making more than $75,000 thru the company in the foreseeable future ...

Went thru whole drama of identifying - giving info - talking about what I wanted done ... only to get the response from the CSR that due to technical difficulties they cannot process the cancellation now, and I'd have to call back in an hour.

WTF? I asked if he could just write the request down, do it when the system is back up and ph me to let me know it's done ... "sorry, I cannot do that as we are an inbound call centre only".

WTF? So (I said) I've just gone thru 20 mins of rigmoral and talking to you, and it's all a waste of time? Sorry, you'll have to call back when the system is back online.

Many many moons ago I worked in an inbound call centre and never ever would have given a customer such a run around and pathetic explanation - my scribble pad was full of followups and "things to do" and customers to call back.

ATO - what a waste of time.

I hate agents, that do this

me: hi, may I speak to jane
Receptionist:whats your name
Bob
Bob who?
Bob the knob
Can I ask whats in regards to
A property
Which property?
1 bogan st bogansville
Can I ask whats in regards to
Just need to speak to jane about it
Are you a landlord or tenant?
Im neither
Did you want to make an application for it?
no, I just want to speak with Jane.
ok, jane no longer works here, can I put you through to Jill or Joe?
Ok Jill please
(hold for 2 mins) Jill is on the phone can I put you through to Joe?
ok
(hold for 2 mins) Joe is not in the office, can I get him to call you back?
ok

never calls me back

Lizzie, you're assuming that the ATO is run like a business, which lives and dies on the good will of its customers.

The ATO is a government department were you have to pay them if you like it or not. There's no reason for them to make your life easy in any way whatsoever; you still have to pay them and if you don't they've got plenty of ways to make life even more difficult for you.

Kind of like ASIC.

speaking of which ... FMD ... trying to register a business name thru the ASIC portal is the most incredibly frustrating experience because their constant error messages (which is caused by their poor programming, not my data entry according to the girl on the phone)

Lizzie, you're assuming that the ATO is run like a business, which lives and dies on the good will of its customers.

The ATO is a government department were you have to pay them if you like it or not. There's no reason for them to make your life easy in any way whatsoever; you still have to pay them and if you don't they've got plenty of ways to make life even more difficult for you.

Kind of like ASIC.

Agree, they are similar............except the tax collectors have teeth and one purported to be a regulator is all gums.

speaking of which ... FMD ... trying to register a business name thru the ASIC portal is the most incredibly frustrating experience because their constant error messages (which is caused by their poor programming, not my data entry according to the girl on the phone)

I had the same problems until I tried using a different browser.

Yep - you have to change from E10 to E8 ... but even then it can be a painful procedure

Nah, different brand as opposed to different version.

Last time I spoke to the ATO i asked to be escalated to someone who had passed 4th grade. Didn't go down very well :(

I'm not looking forward to the process of getting a TFN for an under 16yo.
I did read on the ATO website that most schools can do it now and verify the child. Fingers crossed DS14 goes to such a school or it's the onerous paper way for me

DS14 starts at IGA in 2 weeks. I hope I get a staff discount on groceries :p

The main issue is the people working there are not remunerated based on performance. They get paid an hourly rate or salary so makes no difference to them! Kind a like going direct to the bank ;)

IMO all business should run like a mortgage broking business. You get paid when you deliver the result with efficiency and courtesy. Dont deliver then you don't get paid.

I know I'm an idealist, leave me alone, it works for me :)

Dont start with me on business names. ASIC acquired then role from each state months ago. They had 12+months head start too. They actually dont know how to deal with lapsed business names !! Or renewals. So they didnt issue invoices cause they werent sure. It took seven months and now they try to issue invoices BUT....They dont know if some have legally lapsed. But the laws to allow ASIC to cancel a lapsed name were never regulated. I'm not making this up !! So even a similiar name now cant be registsred...They too scared to be party to a legal action.

GOOD LUCK

I'm not looking forward to the process of getting a TFN for an under 16yo.
I did read on the ATO website that most schools can do it now and verify the child. Fingers crossed DS14 goes to such a school or it's the onerous paper way for me

DS14 starts at IGA in 2 weeks. I hope I get a staff discount on groceries :p

You still have to fill in a form to use the Secondary school TFN program. The big advantage is you don't have to verify the documents used as the school certifies their identity using their records.

Aaah yes; Gubbmint departments....

Don't let common sense and ease of doing transactions get in their way of being total d!cks.

Back