Australian Dollar

sorry I don't understand.
is this sam guy saying that increased supply in the next few years will be minimal????

yeh

"While consumption will stay robust over the next several decades, supply continues to lag behind as competition for labour, energy and project financing increase, approval processes lengthen further and costs in remote areas continue to escalate.

The graph below shows just how wide the gulf is between plans and execution:

yeh

"While consumption will stay robust over the next several decades, supply continues to lag behind as competition for labour, energy and project financing increase, approval processes lengthen further and costs in remote areas continue to escalate.

The graph below shows just how wide the gulf is between plans and execution:

that might be well and true in regards to projected future supply and actual future supply.

There was a good copper article articulating the inaccuracy of projected against actual supply increases.

However this point relating to iron ore is based on degrees of increase.

There WILL be significant increases in supply, if you want to argue that it will be 50 instead of 65, who am I to argue on the actual increase, its that overall increase that concerns me, coupled with the FACT that iron ore is not 'rare' at all.

The other concern that I am worried about is the China factor.
Never in the history of mankind has a nation got to a 'global no.2' status in such record time.

Will China continue to need the raw material iron ore, to the same degree as in recent years?????

Sorry but I am very negative on iron ore in US$

It will be interesting to see what happens when RBA meet in August, if IR drops which is likely, will the $Au continue to slip slide. Current range 89-90.

MTR

It will be interesting to see what happens when RBA meet on August, if IR drops which is likely, will the $Au continue to slip slide. Current range 89-90.

MTR

The sliding dollar is good.

Makes our exports cheaper and puts more money into the economy.

Can only be good.

The higher dollar was only good for all our CUBs going to Bali and then coming back home and being able to fill up with fuel their 3 V8 utes parked in the driveway so they could go pick up the latest 98" plasma made in China.

The sliding dollar is good.

Makes our exports cheaper and puts more money into the economy.

Can only be good.

The higher dollar was only good for all our CUBs going to Bali and then coming back home and being able to fill up with fuel their 3 V8 utes parked in the driveway so they could go pick up the latest 98" plasma made in China.

I agree

I just transferred $10,000 from US bank account using Xe trade, incl fees will get $11,007, finally able to bring money back home.

88 today, am I the only one watching this;)
Once it' gets around 80 cents,and tracks lower and the rba drop the rates again add umemployed numbers prior to a new government later this year 75 cents may be the norm for the next few years

I agree

I just transferred $10,000 from US bank account using Xe trade, incl fees will get $11,007, finally able to bring money back home.

I bought something online from the US a few months ago which never turned up. after the long-winded credit card dispute process I finally got a refund. Because it took so long, I made about $50 in exchange rates.

I bought something online from the US a few months ago which never turned up. after the long-winded credit card dispute process I finally got a refund. Because it took so long, I made about $50 in exchange rates.

Nice win.... $50:p

Once it' gets around 80 cents,and tracks lower and the rba drop the rates again add umemployed numbers prior to a new government later this year 75 cents may be the norm for the next few years

I am actually very surprised that it is falling so rapidly, considering we were at $1.10 not so long ago, and I think you may be right.

watching some of those late night business shows from the US last night, it isn't particularly rosy over there, in which case the rate could well head back up. It doesn't make sense for the rate to head so low, not that exchange rates have to make sense

watching some of those late night business shows from the US last night, it isn't particularly rosy over there, in which case the rate could well head back up. It doesn't make sense for the rate to head so low, not that exchange rates have to make sense

It didn't make sense that the dollar was so high even when they were drastically cutting rates. We should have probably been where we are now 12 months ago...

With the dollar falling like this soon it's going to start having a big impact on inflation.

It didn't make sense that the dollar was so high even when they were drastically cutting rates. We should have probably been where we are now 12 months ago...

With the dollar falling like this soon it's going to start having a big impact on inflation.

it does given our incredibly high interest rates. I think the recent falls are the market pricing in more cuts before they have even happened. for most people on here it's a 50/50 anyway - so ok the cost of living goes up dramatically however savings on mortgages should outweigh it

as long as bernanke is printing $85 BILLION per month to buy govt bonds with, he will continue to export his unemployment and inflation.

A number of Aussie media outlets poked fun at George Soros when he shorted the AUD.

Nobody's laughing now.

His latest position is a $1.25b bet on the stock market (S&P 500) heading lower:

http://www.bullionbaron.com/2013/08/soros-fund-bets-on-lower-stock-market.html

What isn't yet making headlines (and probably won't on mainstream finance news sites) is that the largest position the fund now holds is SPY Puts, basically a short term bet that the stock market is headed lower (although we don't know the exact structure of target dates and prices). The position (SPY Puts) relative to the total size of the fund increased from 1.28% to 4.79% over Q1 (more than tripled) and has increased to 13.54% over Q2 (almost tripled again).

Soros reportedly made $1 billion betting against the British Pound in 1992. We heard rumours of Soros making a $1 billion bet against the AUD (a position that has done well if true). We heard when he made $1 billion betting against the Yen. Where are the headlines for his $1.25 billion bet against the stock market?

Back