Bad photos of properties, meant to sell?

Not sure where on the forum to put this but...

Since I've been looking for an IP and also back when looking for our 2nd house (to live in) I've been amazed at the cruddy photos some agents use on the websites to flog the properties.

I've seen blurry pics of a bathroom basin, the reflection of the goose taking the pic in a dirty window, wonky pics with bad lighting and stretching of rooms etc. Usually there's a give away like a light switch that looks like it might be a foot wide.

It amazes me because when we listed our property we stared at those pics for hours to make sure they 'sold' the house, not embarrassed us.

The inner city units are quite funny as there is always a pic of the dodgy gym and often some poor sweaty bloke working out.

Hey we are all busy, but c'mon these ppl are paying money for this.

Don't know quite why I started this topic. Just had to vent I guess.

Don't complain- take advantage of it

I picked up a bargain in Elizabeth Bay because of that exact thing. The agent took crappy photos and they were 5cm square. You couldn't enlarge them.

I also laugh at some of the choices. There may be 3 photos and 1 is of the lovely cafes in the area. Another is the outside of the building. Leaves a lot to the imagination. It may waste a bit of time looking at things that are crap but then you can get lucky.

It also amazes when the opposite happens. You see a great looking pic and you'd swear blind when you see the actual property that the REA has photoshpped out the massive gum tree or the high voltage overhead wires......until you get to stand in just one spot and just get down to that one level and you can get to see how the shot was taken :mad:

The other thing that gets me is a heading that says "Fantastic views over lake" or "Expansive ocean views" and then you look at all the pics, the kitchen, the bathroom, each and every bedroom, the back garden shed - 2x shots of that one, and you guessed it - NO photos of the views.:rolleyes:

I regularly see ones from agents that show the camera flash in the bathroom mirror or shower glass or worse still - the reflection of them taking the photo. And could you at least get your finger out of the way. :eek: Do these people not understand the word edit. After all its all digital technology. You can take 100 photos at no extra cost and then you don't have to put the crappy ones in! Just poor poor marketing skills.

Hahaha this thread is amusing.
I worked as a real estate photographer for over a year and I grappled with this same issue, every single day.

Some real estates agents think they are fantastic at their own shots, or that their selling skills will outshine any crappy photo, others didn't realise there are easier ways to represent and market a home, and the others just didn't care.
If you see a photo only of the outside and backyard of a place, you can bet 100% that it's tenanted inside and they couldn't organise a time, or just too full of crap to even consider taking a photo.

It really is amazing though how crap some photos are. I am still amazed as even if a real estate agent or a vendor doesn't want to pay the $200 for a photography and printed flyers package (that's how cheap some of them are!) surely they would know someone, who knows someone who has a half decent camera and can get the basics. (ie. Straight walls, with no reflections)

But I definetly agree with travelbug...use it to your advantage. :)
(Or just give me $80 to take photos of your IP ;) )

Came across these photos today, house in Westmead, 5 photos of the backyard, 3 of the front - all similar and don't add and value, photo of kitchen shows dead cockroach near the stove, all interior photos of the floor.

Here is the link

These are terrible..... someone needs to tell these ppl that just cus a jpeg has compression, you shouldn't compress 100%... :eek:

For houses selling for over 2 mil, you would want the photos to trump your wedding photos wouldn't you??? (obviously im single):D

I keep a 'dud pics' folder of some of the bizarre real estate pics I come across.
It is amusing to look through when I need a pick me up.
I think the worst are :where you can see the rear view mirror when the agent has not even been bothered to get out of the car to take the photo, pictures of toilets (no matter how good, they are not a selling point) and ones with the residents scurrying out of the way. Piles of dirty laundry, empty chip packets and tea towels rarely create a sense of urgency amongst buyers.
When you see a heap of photos of the outside of the house and none of the inside, it may not be ugly or dilapidated; the agent probably just forgot the keys.
They say a picture is worth a thousand words, with some properties it would be better to just describe them than use the pics that they do. Unfortunately most agents can't spell that well either.
The good news is (except for the poor vendors) that I have seen many a badly marketed property with the potential to be bought, then on sold immediately with professional photography and a decent agent to make tens of thousands of dollars profit after costs.

nww, same, I thought there was something wrong with my computer connection, thought I'd gone back to dial up or something. LOL.

You'd think they'd care.

QueenBee

aw1, I think Chin needs to maybe re invest some profits on a new camera or maybe get someone to help with figuring it out.

They are shocking! I thought the ones here in Melbourne were bad...

how do I post a link? If I come across any shockers I'll put them up.

how do I post a link? If I come across any shockers I'll put them up.[/QUOTE]

in the top browser where the http etc address is,
left click on the web address,
it should be highlighted,
if not left click and drag across the whole address to get it highlighted,
right click,
select copy,
go to the post and right click again,
select paste

http://www.domain.com.au/Public/PropertyDetails.aspx?adid=2007597431#
check this one out, the bbq in the kitchen looks a bit sus:eek:

Yes it's really strange how the photos are often so bad you would think they are taken with 5 year old 1 mega pixel mobile phones. The thing is you could actually buy quite a decent 8+ mega pixel compact camera for $100 these days that would take better photos than 80% of the ones I have seen online trying to sell homes worth around half a million dollars :). I have taken my $4,000 camera to all of the homes I view to buy and most of the agents seem so surprised and amazed at my camera, it's a lot to take In guess when they thought their 5 year old mobile was the latest camera technology.

Just found this one - not only are the photos poor you should read the text.

Very funny, I think he must be tired from dealing with too many FHB's using their FHOG Boost money: "Boosting the following inclusions:"

and then after all the bad copy, tacky photos and instructions to his secretary on which photos to put on re.com, we get this last sentence:

Be quick as this beauty is SURE to sell. ROTFLMAO :)

Back