Bamboo Flooring

I did a lot of research on this.

- It's cheaper than other hardwoods.
- It's actually a composite of woodchips, but still looks good
- It has a hardness rating of 17, compared to other hards at 11-14 so is IDEAL for an IP
- If you stick with the plain colour, you can easily sand it back. The other colours will show the natural colour through if scratched.
- Very difficult to scratch. I've tried with a nail and could barely make an impression.
- Was shown a piece of bamboo flooring that the shop was leaving in water. Had been in 12 hours and not changed shape at all.

Admittedly we went for blackbutt for our own house, but we would have gone it in an IP for sure.

- If you stick with the plain colour, you can easily sand it back. The other colours will show the natural colour through if scratched.
- Very difficult to scratch. I've tried with a nail and could barely make an impression.

Isn't the darker stuff "cooked" so that the natural sugars present caramelise thus making it darker? I understood that this colour was all the way through?

I had some samples back then and went at them with nails and blades and hammers etc. They really were very hardy. Especially compared to my experience with pines which mark from just high heels!

I thought it was actually made of strips of bamboo which were compressed and bound together chemically to give a flat result. You can still see the bamboo nodes of the original plant in the floorgrain so I don't think it is a "chipboard" type of product.

I'd use it if I decided to build again or was doing a more modern reno.

My next project is on a workers cottage with existing pine floors, so no call for it.

I'd use it if I decided to build again or was doing a more modern reno.
I've got a $100 per sqm supply and install allowance for timber flooring as a PC item in my contract for Mona Vale. I think Bamboo at around that mark might definitely be my flooring of choice. I might even substitute it for the designated tiled areas even though they're only in at $50 supply only. Might still be comparable when you look at the install component.

I love the bamboo and my top end Mona Vale build would be perfect for that style of finish. Might go with the softer hues a bit like Blackbutt that I used in my North Narrabeen build throughout.

Love this product.

Cheers,
Michael

We just did bamboo flooring (floating floor) for a client in Melbourne $65 psm for boards (including underlay) and $30 psm for installation and it looked really good. The space was about 68m2 and included hallway, living/dining open plan.

There are different levels of what they call 'stiletto rating' that the floor can be - this just refers to how hardy and scratch resistent they are which gives you some indication about the longevity of the product.

Wishing you every success, Ana

Isn't the darker stuff "cooked" so that the natural sugars present caramelise thus making it darker? I understood that this colour was all the way through?
Sure is. Its not stained. But then I've only looked at places with two colours - cooked and uncooked, so it is entirely possible some other places have more colours again that are just stained.

I thought it was actually made of strips of bamboo which were compressed and bound together chemically to give a flat result. You can still see the bamboo nodes of the original plant in the floorgrain so I don't think it is a "chipboard" type of product.
There is also the 'strandwoven' one which is the bamboo crushed into very fine strips and compressed together so you can't see the bamboo nodes, but it is nowhere near as fine as chipboard, you can still clearly see it is made from fairly hefty pieces. This one is really really strong. I like the look of it better, I don't like the bamboo nodes much.

I've got a $100 per sqm supply and install allowance for timber flooring as a PC item in my contract for Mona Vale. I think Bamboo at around that mark might definitely be my flooring of choice. I might even substitute it for the designated tiled areas even though they're only in at $50 supply only. Might still be comparable when you look at the install component.

I love the bamboo and my top end Mona Vale build would be perfect for that style of finish. Might go with the softer hues a bit like Blackbutt that I used in my North Narrabeen build throughout.

Love this product.

Cheers,
Michael

If anyone has the guts to use the zebra stripe bamboo floor it is you Michael!

Hi All

Bamboo Flooring is a great option but be weary there is alot of this type of product being brought into the country some good some bad, i am a flooring retailer myself and am very pasionate about bamboo flooring. Bamboo is considered to be very hard with the strand woven products being harder that the none sstrand woven. Bamboo is source from replenishable resources and is very enviromentally friendly.

when it comes to install there is multitudes of ways this product is getting done floating and direct stuck. It can not be hidden nailed and it can not be laid on battens. as mentioned before. it really needs to be glued to ply to provide structual stability.

When it comes to install in a unit you do need to ensure you are meeting your sound ratings for your block so be sure too touch base with your strat managers on the requires as if you get complaints from underneath you could be forced to take them up.

Damien,

Can you give me an idea of what is the best Bamboo product to use on a concrete slab for the ground floor of a new double storey home?

What sort of pricing could I expect from a retailer such as yourself?

Cheers,

Damien,

Can you give me an idea of what is the best Bamboo product to use on a concrete slab for the ground floor of a new double storey home?

What sort of pricing could I expect from a retailer such as yourself?

Cheers,

SIMON

If you buy prefinished solid bamboo flooring the ideal method of install is to direct stick to the slab after the slab has been waterproofed using products supplied by ardex. this company also provides leveling products and also has agents thru newcastle region. alternatively i would look at putting black plastic down anchoring 12mm plywood to the subfloor and then glueing the bamboo direct to the ply both are very good options.

it is very important to have a moisture barrier for any bamboo option.

Secondly you could look at flaoting bamboo flooring which requires an underlay with a built in moisture barrier to go down first and then the product can be clicked together or glued together depending on the product not all products can do this only some.

the down side to the direct stick option is that it is very permanent you would not want to try taking that stuff up. this is where the plywood option has its benefits it is less permanent.

the benefit to floating bamboo is that you can replace individual boards, you can still sand back and lacquer this option as well. the down side to floating bamboo is if you buy a cheap underlay the floor will sound hollow and drummy if you know what i mean.

There is 1000's of companies supplying solid bamboo flooring and it is so hard to tell the difference between the quailty price is usually the best indicator.
try and steer away from the vertical / horizontal options as i think they look a little ridiculous down and they are also softer than the strand woven. The reason strand woven is harder is because of the fact the more resin/glue is used to combine the layers together.

earth bamboo do a good product and have click options glue options stained options basically everything bamboo and the importer of this product is finicial bonfide. It is important to get warranties on the product that your buying from companies that arent going to close down in a year.

www.earthbamboo.com.au

also as a refernce www.ardexaustralia.com.au

when it comes to pricing it is very dependent on the product you want. I would prefer to offer help and for you to source it locally.

if you would like me to recommend a local retailer i would be happy too. i am a sydney based retailer. and am happy just helping:D

where abouts in newcastle are you. ??

- It's cheaper than other hardwoods.
- It's actually a composite of woodchips, but still looks good
- It has a hardness rating of 17, compared to other hards at 11-14 so is IDEAL for an IP
- Was shown a piece of bamboo flooring that the shop was leaving in water. Had been in 12 hours and not changed shape at all.

Admittedly we went for blackbutt for our own house, but we would have gone it in an IP for sure.

Hi tubs

one major misleading fact, that retailer showed you is the water restitance. Bamboo is not water proof, it is important to understand that putting a board in water for 12 hours is common practise for alot of retailers. A common problem is a leaking fridge or a dishwasher leaking, when a indivdual board expands due to moisture it expands about than a millimetre when a floor expands across lets say 30 boards it could expand 30mm and the expansion allowed on flaoting floors is 10mm all the way around. if it is solid the floor will pop off the glue or battens or how ever it is laid. NO TIMBER PRODUCT IS WATERPROOF...!!!

SIMON

If you buy prefinished solid bamboo flooring the ideal method of install is to direct stick to the slab after the slab has been waterproofed using products supplied by ardex. this company also provides leveling products and also has agents thru newcastle region. alternatively i would look at putting black plastic down anchoring 12mm plywood to the subfloor and then glueing the bamboo direct to the ply both are very good options.

it is very important to have a moisture barrier for any bamboo option.

Secondly you could look at flaoting bamboo flooring which requires an underlay with a built in moisture barrier to go down first and then the product can be clicked together or glued together depending on the product not all products can do this only some.

the down side to the direct stick option is that it is very permanent you would not want to try taking that stuff up. this is where the plywood option has its benefits it is less permanent.

the benefit to floating bamboo is that you can replace individual boards, you can still sand back and lacquer this option as well. the down side to floating bamboo is if you buy a cheap underlay the floor will sound hollow and drummy if you know what i mean.

There is 1000's of companies supplying solid bamboo flooring and it is so hard to tell the difference between the quailty price is usually the best indicator.
try and steer away from the vertical / horizontal options as i think they look a little ridiculous down and they are also softer than the strand woven. The reason strand woven is harder is because of the fact the more resin/glue is used to combine the layers together.

earth bamboo do a good product and have click options glue options stained options basically everything bamboo and the importer of this product is finicial bonfide. It is important to get warranties on the product that your buying from companies that arent going to close down in a year.

www.earthbamboo.com.au

also as a refernce www.ardexaustralia.com.au

when it comes to pricing it is very dependent on the product you want. I would prefer to offer help and for you to source it locally.

if you would like me to recommend a local retailer i would be happy too. i am a sydney based retailer. and am happy just helping:D

where abouts in newcastle are you. ??

Thanks for the advice - I really appreciate the depth you went to and the time I took.

The property is in Hamilton but I wont be addressing the flooring finish until some time in 2011. Trying to work out a design now with different companies. There is so much to learn if you have never built before.

Thanks again

Simon

No worries let me know when you get a little closer if you need any other help re flooring solutions.

Good Luck with the building

Hi Damienb,

Thanks for all the useful info. We are building our PPOR in Melbourne's SE suburbs. Can you recommend quality retailers? We've seen prices advertised between $80 and $100 including installation for strandwoven. Sound reasonable?

Thanks
Srini

Back