Barbeques

Not sure if this has been asked but...

Whats the difference between a

Kmart BBQ
BBQ Galores BBQ
Big W BBQ

I'm not talking the big giant stainless steel things, just the basic 4 burner one on a frame under say $400/$450

I'm thinking not much?

If you go into some of the big stores where there are lots of brands, you will notice that many of them around the $300 - $400 range source bits from the same suppliers.
They often differ only in the frame. So in a way you need to look at the frame. I was given a BBQ a few years ago. It was a cheapie. First thing I did was put decent wheels on it because the little plastic ones were going to break, and I braced the frame better because it wasn't going to last.

What Depreciator said.

For around $450 you can find a decent one at Kmart, stainless steel + hood. If I remember correctly the Jackeroo midrange model is quite sturdy in its frame under inspection. Avoid the $150'ish range from any of the stores, very fragile construction.

It generally comes down to the above for more basic models. You're essentially buying a heap of metal and minor gas connections which are all sourced from the same quality places. Therefore the only variables which differ are the frame design and aesthetic appeal. I favour the Jackeroo range as I find the designs to be the most appealing, whilst offering good support against all my clumsy knocks against it.

I was given a BBQ a few years ago. It was a cheapie. First thing I did was put decent wheels on it because the little plastic ones were going to break, and I braced the frame better because it wasn't going to last.

This sounds like the joke about the old woodcutter with his favourite axe that he was proud to tell everyone had lasted him over 30 years.......he had only replaced the handle 6 times and the head 2 times. :D

.....all this talk of BBQs must mean Father's Day is approaching :)

Ah yes, looks like someone is getting a BBQ on Sunday.

I told my wife the best Fathers Day present would be to not make the kids do their music practice on Sunday morning - it always ends up in tears and tantrums.

Now im hungry....Who's cooking ;)

I got one of those stainless steel 6 burner Jackeroo ones from Kmart about 3 years ago. They look good, there a big BBQ, and it was only $350 on special ($500 less 30% deal)

Hasnt missed a beat and has seen a few gatherings in its time already. Not sure how much better a $3500 Harvey Norman BBQ could cook the meat.

There's obviously a few of us in the market for a BBQ :D

We just finished doing the BBQ research thing and after seeing the one on special at BBQ'S Galore (the one at the front of their current catalogue) we were all ready to pop into a store and buy 1 until we came across a very knowledgable salesman who told us its not as good as one would expect.

Bascially the thickness of the hood is important because that helps retain heat....he said the cheaper ones have a very thin hood....the fully stainless steel one at the front of the catalogue of bbq's galore looks nice brand new but apparently after even 1 use it will discolour (browny). Also the material of the plates...i can't remember which he said was better but it varies in quality.....some of the cheaper ones have a 'warming rack' whereas the ones with the thicker hoods you can actually cook your sausages etc on that rack because the heat is alot higher. Then there's the self ignition thingy...some of the cheaper ones there's only 1 ignition whereas the better ones each ignite individually.

If you're not cooking whole roasts and doing anything fancy then one of the cheaper ones would do i reckon....but if you want something that does pretty well everything and is of good quality they recommend the "beefmaster" range which pretty well does everything but still reasonably priced..i think they're on special for $599 at the moment with a wok burner (pay more for stainless steel version).

We popped into Bunnings yesterday and noticed one on special for $347 and it looks quite good.

I made the mistake of getting one a bit cheaper - was 3 burner instead of 4 burner. Takes aaaaaaages to heat up, but once it gets going it's OK. I'm sure I've paid the difference between 3bnr/4bnr in extra gas refills! :(

Also highly recommend getting a little electric spit. Throw a chicken on it for a couple of hours and it's awesome!! :cool:

I went to get some stainless steel burners but they're extortionate.
I've had BBQ Galore for the last 10+ years. On BBQ number 2 from them. It gets to be a case of keep fixing it up or get a new one.
Fortunately Bunnings has good replacement plates/parts. If you define good as cheap :)

Back