Bathroom Reno

So what do you do when hubby leaves you for a six week business trip with four kids? You spend every night doing up the bathroom.

Thanks to all the wonderful pictures here. You lot really inspired me to have a go at it myself.

I did get in my uncle to help remove pedestal basin and install new vanity. Our old copper pipes were a bit of a problem, but he got there in the end. Got a sparky in to fit new light/heater/exhaust and got in the shower screen guy to fit & install screen.

Did all the tiling and painting and sealing myself though.

This is the first thing I've ever renovated. All I've done before is a lick of paint on an IP. So I'm quite proud of myself.

Didn't want/need to remove bath, so I went all white coz it obviously didn't go with the browns that are currently in fashion. Only thing I want to do now is to paint the concrete shower basin and to stick a big pic of the kids in the bath on the wall over the bath.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D5rY4awp_0

Yeah, I did a youtube clip on it. LOL. You might think it's a bit wanky but I'm so proud of it, and it's all I've talked about for 6 weeks so want to be able to show my friends.

LOL Thanks

I mean I could have sat down & relaxed and watched telly with a glass of wine in the evenings - but, well, I don't really like telly that much.

I like Tour de France at the moment, and I can watch that in bed. I LOVE Daily Show with John Stewart, but he's on at kiddy bedtime. Masterchef is OK but as above, plus it's more about personality than cooking. And the other shows I will only watch if I have someone to watch with me.

LOL Thanks

I mean I could have sat down & relaxed and watched telly with a glass of wine in the evenings - but, well, I don't really like telly that much.

I like Tour de France at the moment, and I can watch that in bed. I LOVE Daily Show with John Stewart, but he's on at kiddy bedtime. Masterchef is OK but as above, plus it's more about personality than cooking. And the other shows I will only watch if I have someone to watch with me.

HOW GOOD IS JON STEWART. Hilarious!

and

I also watch Tour de France to send me to sleep. So relaxing looking at all that scenery.

Well done, that's fantastic.

Was the tiling easy? You did the floor tiling too didn't you?

I'm starting an 8 week tiling course next week at my local community college as I've always wanted to be able to tile.
I'd love to be able to brick lay too :)

Great work, and with 4 kids, FANTASTIC.

The walls and the shower aren't actually tiled - just have cement sheeting that is grooved to look like little tiles, so I just painted that.

The tiling that I did on the floor wasn't hard at all - I loved it. The hardest part was lifting the cement sheets. Very heavy - had callouses on my hands after cutting and laying that. Cutting the tiles was ace fun - my favourite part of all - almost as fun as bathing in a toybox in the loungeroom for six weeks in front of the heater!

Fan-bloody-tastic. You could even hire the kids out at $30 and hour. And the little one as supervisor.

Great work - you go girl.

Wow, Mandy, what a woman!
I can't believe you did that with 4 kids - one a baby.
Well done, you deserve to be proud of yourself!

Caroline

PS. Cute kids!

Ah yes, but I was inspired by all the lovely Bathroom reno photos here on Somersoft. So thanks to all the people who have put them up, and thanks to the guy at Bunnings who pushed my pram around while we went around buying all the stuff we needed.

PS - It was probably easier to do while hubby wasn't around. He would not have fitted into the toybox for a bath so would have winged the whole time about how long it was taking (it actually took nearly the whole six weeks, so it definitely wasn't a rush job).

Back