bathroom reno's

just wanting to know much a basic bathroom reno would cost? new vanity, new bath and some paint update my shower im thinking and update my toilet.

Need a bit more info, are you looking at moving existing fixtures, is it a slab or highset. Are you just wanting to tile the shower and bath area and say a skirting tile to the remainder, plus splashback for vanity.

How big is the bathroom and toilet.

Are you doing all / part of the work or getting trades in to do it all.

$5000 - $7000 of course you could do it cheaper just depends how good you are in buying your goods IE bath, vanity, tiles, wall sheeting, tapware etc.

Brian

just wanting to know much a basic bathroom reno would cost? new vanity, new bath and some paint update my shower im thinking and update my toilet.

Materials
  • New vanity $299+
  • New Bath $ 112+
  • Paint $ 50 wall + $45 ceiling
  • Tiles $22/metre
  • New taps $77+ per set
  • Toilet $198+
  • Exhaust fan $68+

Labour
$45 per hour is a good rate but ask for a job price not hourly rate

Cheers
Sheryn

PS
On our last bathroom reno we replaced vanity cupboards only for $510, new shower screen and vanity mirror $500 which saved retiling and repainting and we also clean the vertical blind. Taps had been replaced 2 years previously.

Exactly what are you wanting to do?

To replace the toilet, vanity and shower screen is not expensive (just cost of materials if you do it yourself.

If you want to change the bath however you need to start fiddling with tiling. You also need to reset the new bath. Can you get the same size? Are the tiles OK? Will you just repair and replace tiles around the bath?

If you are talking complete new bathroom, that's a different story.

Allow $10k, give or take 50% depending on if you do any work yourself and the quality of the fittings.

here you go.

Attachments

• 2008665503_9_FS.JPG
    2008665503_9_FS.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 135
On one of my flick projects details where as follows:

Ixl - $60
Vanity - $250
Tile/bath (floor and wall) respray - $1285
Shower screen - $300
Fittings: $100
Plumber: $200 (adjusted with other work)
Elec: $100 (adjusted with other work) -
Curtain & Rails: $40
Throw Rug: $50
Mirror: $50
Paint: $200 (adjusted with other work)

Total: $2,640

It took about a week to do two bathrooms like this. But I must warn you on a few things.
1) Try to avoid moving plumbing
2) Match the market
3) ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS get written quotes before a job. I cost myself about $600 a bathroom due to repsraying coming in as "more" once completed. I normally do on all jobs, however being pressed for time I shortcutted.

Ixl - $60
Vanity - $250
Tile/bath (floor and wall) respray - $1285
Shower screen - $300
Fittings: $100
Plumber: $200 (adjusted with other work)
Elec: $100 (adjusted with other work) -
Curtain & Rails: $40
Throw Rug: $50
Mirror: $50
Paint: $200 (adjusted with other work)

Total: $2,640

It took about a week to do two bathrooms like this. But I must warn you on a few things.
2) Match the market
3) ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS get written quotes before a job. I cost myself about $600 a bathroom due to repsraying coming in as "more" once completed. I normally do on all jobs, however being pressed for time I shortcutted.

Did this include all the warranties for the trades, also home warranty insurance.I see no waterproofing or was this also included.

Sorry I just find the price way to cheap to do a full bathroom reno

Happy you managed to get it at that price.

Brian

2) Match the market

One thing that you need to be aware of is that costing the PC items and renovating a bathroom are two different things. Kent is right on the money here with Match the market. I have done everything from a 1.4m wide high end bathroom to a complete conversion of a bedroom to a bathroom on the second floor of a 1860 built building.

It is obvious if a home handy man has 'had a go' at tiling etc and it devalues the reno - if you are not in the profession or really experienced leave it too the professionals. So save your money on the PC items, but get quality trades and even a project manager - they may charge 10-20% ontop but a complete bathroom with all included - yep waterproofing is needed if retiling etc - is $8k- $10k to start.

I think some of my reno mistakes are in the Feb/Mar 2011 Handyman mag - I believe you can only get this at Bunning's ( lets face it most of us call B our second home) I have not seen the article so it might be not what I thought it was going to be when offering a few comments to a jurno, but I sent some photos that you might find handy. Last tip always add a bit for surprises the photos show a toilet in the laundry that went to ground - yep no sewerage connection.

All the best Jane

Did this include all the warranties for the trades, also home warranty insurance.I see no waterproofing or was this also included.

Sorry I just find the price way to cheap to do a full bathroom reno

Happy you managed to get it at that price.

Brian

1) The Tradesmen undertaking the work is required to obtain Home Warranty Insurance for every project they undertake where the total work costs exceeds $12,000.

2) The spray that was used on the vertical/horizontal tiles is a waterproofer.

3) I forgot It was about $250 more for the vanity strip and install. (Plumber)

As I am selling this house, I have focused on maximising my return through cosmetic changes

Back