Before/After Pics of Kitchen Reno

I've just completed a apartment kitchen reno (complete reno)
Please find before pic below:
====================================

/forums/photopost/data/501/1266old_kitchen_1.jpg

[ EDIT: moved image to photo gallery and replaced with image link - Sim' ]

Last edited by a moderator:
And After reno:
===========

/forums/photopost/data/501/1266new_kitchen.jpg

Looks sleek Sam :)
Would you mind telling us some more details- cost, materials etc. Also, did you install it yourself? Only thing I'd improve on would be to ditch the verticals for some fake white timber ones from Spotlight- look far better!
Good job- look forward to more pics!

Thanks Jacque!
You beat me to it......was just about to do some explaining...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I spent quite a bit of time driving around talking to all the kitchen places and found quotes between $8,000 - $20,000 (depending on materials).

I was recommended Hardware & General in Brookvale (Northern Beaches of Sydney).They way they work is you measure and draw up rough plans of your kitchen (by rough I mean....basic dimensions.....where windows/door(s)/sink/fridge exist)

Using your drawings they then suggest a benchtop/cupboard solution to fit (yes they never set foot in your kitchen!!)

The kitchen is they delivered in pre-constructed form (flat-packs I was told are now more hassle and more expensive)

Costing
======

Materials

# design and construction of vacuum formed laminiate benchtop and cupboards = $5150

# dishwasher = $699 (inc 5 yr warranty)

# tiles = $560 (both floor and splash)

# sink = $245

# new light=$52

Labour

#benchtop and cupboards installation = $650

#Tiler (Floor+ Splash) = $690

# plumber =$400

# Electrician =$300 (guess..he did a lot more than just the kitchen)

TOTAL COST: $8,750

Cheers

Sam

Sam

That's just a lovely job, very classy and modern. It all looks good quality, too, and well constructed.

Should be good for a long time.

Congratulations

Kristine

Hi Sam_H!

Looks faaabulous!!

What young chickie babe wouldn't walk into that new kitchen and 'ooh' at the dishwasher and admire the complimentary colours of the tiles and benchtop?

And the one thing that would finish it off nicely? A gerbera, sitting in the corner of the kitchen.

Voila!

MT

Originally posted by Jacque
Looks sleek Sam :)
Would you mind telling us some more details- cost, materials etc. Also, did you install it yourself? Only thing I'd improve on would be to ditch the verticals for some fake white timber ones from Spotlight- look far better!
Good job- look forward to more pics!
The kitchen looks excellent- thanks for the pix.

Fake white timber verticals though? Fake white wood venetians- is that what you meant?

I've just used fake wood venetians from Magnet Mart yet again. They look fantastic. But I've recently been told that after two years, the mechanisms start to fall apart.

For kitchens, I've been using a MagMart translucent cotton blind. It looks good (nowhere near as good as wood look venetians for sure, but cost a lot less- and less mechanics, so possible longer life). It's like a Holland blind- but without the spring mechanism- just a chain thingy. We have a spring Holland blind in our PPOR, and it drives us mad- it springs open at the sound of one hand clapping. It's also easy to cut the width to fit into non-standard window sizes.

Yo Geoff

I put a roller blind with a cute chain mechanism thingy on the new little window above the bed position in the main bedroom.

The blind has a pretty 'georgian scallop' trim, and looks a treat.

I once had full height (1.85m) holland blinds over full length windows, and more than once they sprung off their springs and embedded the pointy end in the hardwood timber floor. Tres dangerous! Not a good look for above a bed!

Sam, just a common or garden plastic micro venetian from Bunnings or similar is good for above the sink windows. At a pinch, they can be lifted off their clip fittings, hung on the Hills hoist, soaped and hosed clean. I've done that more than once and the blinds come up sparkling. You can then get the soapy steelo soap pads onto the kitchen window, and remove all the bits of hardened washing up non-biodegradable nucleur waste, rinse well, and have a diamond clean window.

When I had a child care centre (it's national nostalgia day today) the window cleaner used steel wool to remove all the bits of blue tak and hardened cellotape gum from the windows (plus the slobber and nose pickings). He always produced a magical finish on the glass, inside and out, which lasted about one day on average but was great while it lasted.

Cheers

Kristine

Sam, your reno is beautiful! I agree with others about the aesthetic qualities of verticals (none!), but they are the most practical solution in renters. I love venetians, but my PM HATES them - mind you, she hates trees too!

Cheers

Thanks guys!
Yeah was great to see that horrible old kitchen go!
Have to give credit to the 'missus' for picking the colour combos of tiles/benchtop etc

As for the windows...I think i will leave the verticals or even remove them. The apartment building next door doesnt look in at all, and the side window looks out to the harbour-which is quite pleasant!

Cheers again

Sam

Sam,

It's a satisfying thing to take something old and tattered and to make it look really nice.

I'd put in some sort of window cover though- it's good to keep the sun out of a room on a hot dday. The cotton-type blind I referred to only costs about $30 - $40 (depending on width). There's Roman type blinds also available at reasonable cost.

Sam - Geoff's (and Kristine's) blind with cute chain mechanism thingy sounds foolproof and reasonably priced, and would finish off the windows beautifully - I think nude windows would look like you hadn't finished. ;)

Cheers

Well done Sam.

Very good considering what looks to be a tight room.

Also, thanks for sharing costs and resources with everyone.

Sam V.

Jas;

For the Splash;

White 200x200mm tiles
See pic attached

/forums/photopost/data/501/1266shot_from_kitchen_window.jpg

Back